*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1053205-US-Army-Citizen-to-Soldier
Rated: ASR · Essay · Military · #1053205
My initial experience in the US Army and an overview of the process.
"US Army: Journey from Citizen to Soldier"

"Through These Portals Pass The World's Greatest Soldiers." So read the sign which had greeted so many brave soldiers before me, that were and are to come, and foretold of the greatest challenge I was to undertake as a high school student; the transformation from civilian to soldier and defender of our country, in the United States Army Reserve. Drawing from my experiences as a recruit both at home and in Army Basic Combat Training at Fort Jackson, South Carolina, during the summer of 2004, I will inform you of what I have come to know as a recruit's way of life, to include the enlistment process, Army Basic Combat Training, and my future obligations as a soldier in the United States Army. Welcome to my world: "U.S. Army: Journey from Citizen to Soldier."
First of all, the process from citizen to soldier begins with the enlistment process. Potential recruits meet with a recruiter who will make it easy to find out if the Army is right for them, and determine what length of service and MOS (Military Occupation Specialty) most compliments their personalities. This can range anywhere from Active Duty to Army Reserve, from Infantry to Journalist. Upon commitment, the recruit is then sent to MEPS (the Military Enlistment Processing Station), and establishes a training date for Basic Training.
Army Basic Combat Training is a rigorous, nine-week training program strategically set in a high-stress environment. Its purpose is to prepare soldiers in the proficiency of basic soldiering tasks necessary to achieve success in a combat zone. These basic soldiering tasks include, but are not limited to, Basic Rifle Marksmanship Fundamentals, the bayonet assault course, hand to hand combat, hand grenade qualification, live fire exercises, foot marching, and the infamous "gas chamber." It also includes the Team Development Course, map and land navigation, first aid in evaluating and treating a casualty, and a 3-day battle simulation known as "Victory Forge."
After completion of Army Basic Combat Training, the new soldier either continues to AIT (Advanced Individual Training) for their job specialty, or returns home to complete high school and return the following summer. As a reservist, following AIT the soldier is allowed to return home with the obligation that they drill with their specified unit near home one weekend a month, along with a two-week active duty period during the year, for a duration of, in my case, six years- standing ready to deploy and defend the nation and the American way of life, when called upon in times of war.
As part of this defensive process, each one of us must live by and keep to memory the "Soldier's Creed," which goes on as follows: "I am an American Soldier. I am a warrior and a member of a team. I serve the people of the United States and live the Army values. I will always place the mission first. I will never accept defeat. I will never quit. I will never leave a fallen comrade. I am disciplined, physically and mentally tough, trained and proficient in my warrior tasks and drills. I will always maintain my arms, my equipment, and myself. I am an expert, and I am a professional. I stand ready to deploy, engage and destroy, the enemies of the United States of America, in close combat. I am a guardian of freedom, and the American way of life. I am an American soldier."
As clearly evident, the seemingly accomplishable task at hand, to endure until the end, proves to be, as they say, a challenge both physically and mentally; from the initial enlistment process to Army Basic Combat Training, from AIT and onto their new status as citizen soldier. Therefore, not everyone accomplishes this difficult period of training. But for those who persevere onto the field of graduation and accomplish their mission, do so with a newfound sense of pride and purpose, and exemplify the Army's seven core values of Loyalty, Duty, Respect, Selfless Service, Honor, Integrity, and Personal Courage, as a soldier in the United States Army. I am an American soldier- a protector of the greatest nation on earth.
© Copyright 2006 Melisa Rhiane (melisarhiane at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1053205-US-Army-Citizen-to-Soldier