*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1059371-Bone-Marrow-Journal
Rated: E · Short Story · Biographical · #1059371
A journey to help others, expanded to include information on my brother's journey.
Ongoing...


I am a marrow donor, as well as a frequent blood donor. I don't feel like I am saving the universe or anything, and it is no prerequisite for being in the Air Force, or other Armed Services. It is just something I vowed to do, like being an organ donor.


I have extra blood, marrow, and when the time comes organs. I am not using them all. If someone else needs them, they can have them. If it improves or prolongs their life, I have passed on something I was given. Simple.


Also I have a daughter, and would do anything in the world for her. Many people have children. Maybe my marrow will be for one of those children. I don't want to know who really. I just want to know I am giving someone a chance. Maybe some child's daddy or mommy won't come home from the hospital ever if I don't give what I have to help.

---------------------------------

I know there are many medical reasons for donating bone marrow, with the number one reason being for marrow transplants for those stricken with leukemia. I garnered some information from the outstanding Leukemia and Lymphoma Society web page about this devastating disease.

Leukemia is a malignant disease of the bone marrow and blood, characterized by the uncontrolled accumulation of blood cells. Leukemia is divided into four categories; Acute Lymphocytic Leukemia, Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia,
Acute Myelogenous Leukemia, and Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia.

Acute leukemia is a rapidly progressing disease that results in the accumulation of immature, functionless cells in the marrow and blood. The marrow often can no longer produce enough normal red blood cells, white blood cells and platelets.
Anemia, a deficiency of red cells, develops in virtually all leukemia patients. The lack of normal white cells impairs the body's ability to fight infections. A shortage of platelets results in bruising and easy bleeding.

Chronic leukemia progresses more slowly and allows greater numbers of more mature, functional cells to be made.

Some signs of acute leukemia include easy bruising or bleeding, paleness or easy fatigue, as a result of anemia, recurrent minor infections or poor healing of minor cuts.

A proportion of people with chronic leukemia may not have major symptoms and are diagnosed during a periodic medical examination. The diagnosis of leukemia requires examination of the cells in blood or marrow.

Anyone can get leukemia. It affects all ages and sexes. The cause of leukemia is not known. Chronic exposure to benzene in the workplace and exposure to extraordinary doses of irradiation can be causes of the disease, although neither explains most cases.

The aim of medical treatment for leukemia is to bring about a complete remission. Relapse indicates a return of the cancer cells and return of other signs and symptoms of the disease. For acute leukemia, a complete remission that lasts five years after treatment often indicates a cure.

The relative five-year survival rate for leukemia has more than tripled in the past 47 years. In 1960-63, a patient had a 14 percent chance of living five years. In 1996-2003 the overall relative survival rate was nearly 50 percent.

-------------------------------


Back in 1996 or 1997, I think, I was in some training class down at Sheppard Air Force Base, in Texas, and there was an opportunity to meet one of my sports hero's, and sign up for the National Bone Marrow Donor Program. It seemed simple at the time, so I did. No problems, sign on the dotted line and then meet Terry LaBonte, then driving for Hendrick Motor Sports. If you know NASCAR, you have heard of Terry's Labonte's team mate Jeff Gordon, but you may not have heard of The Hendrick Marrow Program:

http://www.themarrowfoundation.org/DONOR/hendrick_marrow_program.html.


Besides signing up, and a racer meet and greet with pictures and autographs, I got a laminated business card. I carried the CW Bill Young DOD Marrow Donor Program card in my wallet for years. I would pull it out once in awhile and wonder if I was ever going to be called. A coworker of mine lost his father to Leukemia several years ago, and still no call.


Fast forward to Monday, January 9, 2006. I received a phone call at work, just prior to my shift starting. Ms. Chen from the DOD Bone Marrow Center. 240 questions, and a comprehensive medical review later, the final question hung in the air. "Are you still willing to donate?"


No hesitation on my part. "Yes ma'am."


I wish I could say that my family, friends, coworkers, and loved ones were supportive at the time. That would be pretty untruthful, but in hindsight they were all behind me, just unsure what it was all about. I don't really need a huge outpouring of approval from everyone else when I decide to help others.


I got to the hospital in the morning a half hour early for my 0900 appointment. Despite some previous annoying times with various places in the hospital, a friendly, happy receptionist awaited me. Yes they had my sample kit awaiting, and the technician would be ready to take my blood in a few minutes.


Seven varying sized vials later, with a small bandage and a bigger smile, I was out the door. Ten minutes before my scheduled appointment time.


My blood was whisked down to Baltimore, Maryland, for further recipient compatibility checks, as a positive match, I had to give seven more vials, to assure it was not a false positive match. In the beginning of February, I got another phone call from Ms. Chen, telling me that thus far, I was still the best bone marrow match for another round of blood samples.


Seven more vials, a smile, and, "you should hear from The National Marrow Center in a couple of weeks."


Three weeks later, at work I got an email from my squadron blood drive coordinator asking me if I was going to give blood in the upcoming drive. "Yes, I would love to, but I have to ask the bone marrow people to make sure it is OK."


After another week of still not hearing from Ms. Chen, or anyone else at the National Bone Marrow Donor Program Center, I called Ms. Chen to see if I could give blood while I was waiting to see if I was a suitable donor.


"Oh, we were going to call you this afternoon," came the reply. "You were not found to be the most suitable bone marrow donor for the patient. Thank you for your time. You will stay in the National Registry if you wish."


"Thank you ma'am!"


I was not going to be going through the bone marrow extraction process, and I hate to be selfish, but I felt it was a let down. Instead of focusing on the opportunity to help another, and the needs of the patient, I was more concerned with my own feelings of inadequacy for not being able to help.


It took me awhile to come to grips with not being chosen, but I realized in the long run that the patient is the most important person in the equation. Not me, the doctors, or the National Bone Marrow Donor Program Center. I would like to believe, deep in my heart of hearts that the anonymous man, woman, or child received the life giving marrow from a better match, and has since recovered. Barring that, I am thankful that God gave me the chance to help another, even for a brief moment.


To learn more about bone marrow and donation, I suggest the following links:


http://www.marrow.org/DONOR/ABCs/index.html


http://www.marrow.org/DONOR/index.html


http://www.marrow.org/HELP/Join_the_Registry/index.html


http://www.marrow.org/ABOUT/index.html

http://www.leukemia-lymphoma.org/all_page.adp?item_id=9346


Is it a long road to donate marrow? Yes, but one I would have no hesitation starting upon again. Given the recipients need for bone marrow, I am sure their road is much rockier, and longer.

------------------------------------------

AN UPDATE:

I wish this story never needed updating. I wish after learning about bone marrow and becoming a donor, medicine and science had found a way to keep the human body intact and working at 100 percent all the time. I wish many things, that are not to be. Barring a fix for ailments of the body, I would accept people slipping away gently in the night of old age. That is also not to be, at least today, and I think not in the near future.

I am not a doctor, nor have I had very much medical training, so I do not pretend to understand more than a small portion of physiology, but I understand my emotions, and I was heavy of heart, when a dear Australian friend of mine related the news about her great granddaughter:

We have a bit of a family crisis at the moment. My 3 year old great grand daughter,
has just been diagnosed with Leukemia. She was flown to Brisbane for more extensive tests on Monday, and now the doctors are searching the family for a
suitable bone marrow donor.
It's a rather stressful time for us all, but we are all pulling together and supporting each other as families do.
We don't know how long she will have to stay in Brisbane away from home, or how long it will be before a bone marrow transplant will be possible. All we can really do is wait and pray.

Indeed, that may be all any of us can do, and I certainly believe in the power of prayer! It brought back thoughts of a childhood friend of mine, who fought the battle for years, through many remissions and relapses, only to succumb as a young teenager. My heart and prayers go out to this family, and all others traveling a rocky road.

----------------------------------------

A cancer poem:

Dancing in the Daffodils

Daily she used to come to check,
Awaiting the bloom of daffodils.
Near the old cattle watering drainpipe,
Cute blooms of bright yellow opened.
Individual sunspots on stalks, green,
Near the old cattle watering drainpipe,
Greet spring with their smile.

Individual sunspots on stalks, green,
Near the old cattle watering drainpipe,

Tell her to awaken and shake off winter.
Here a gentle breeze blows; new life,
Eternity. Can you smell Spring Sarah?

Daily she used to come to check,
Awaiting the bloom of daffodils.
Focus on the pretty flowers, not sadness.
Focus on the pretty flowers, not sadness.
Our Sarah is weakened by cancer and cures.
Daily she used to come to check:
Individual sunspots on stalks, green
Left in her hospital room,
Sway in the breeze as she remembers...


The daffodil is a symbol of hope for the American Cancer Society. To learn more, please go to:

http://www.cancer.org/docroot/PAR/PAR_4_Daffodil_Days.asp

---------------------------------------------------

26 March 2008

Because a dear friend of mine is slowly dying of a brain tumor, and the effects of chemotherapy, today a coworker and I were talking about SIDS, and children who are ill, or succumb in general. I wish there were a cure for cancers and illness in children. I love everyone, though I can be very gruff and short. I have a certain soft spot deep within me for children. I guess, barring medical science making huge strides in a short time, I can only pray, continue to donate blood and plasma, and always answer when called.

-------------------------------------------

12 April 2008

Today, my good friend, Steve Linderleaf lost his battle to cancer. Here is the blog I posted about him on another site:



To Steve

To Steve.

My friend, mentor, and big brother Steve Linderleaf died on Tuesday. The funeral was Saturday. Here are some things I would like to share:


To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven:A time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pluck up that which is planted; A time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to build up; A time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance; A time to cast away stones, and a time to gather stones together; a time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing; A time to get, and a time to lose; a time to keep, and a time to cast away; A time to rend, and a time to sew; a time to keep silence, and a time to speak; A time to love, and a time to hate; a time of war, and a time of peace.
Ecclesiastes 3.

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
John 3:16

The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.

He maketh me to lie down in green pastures:
he leadeth me beside the still waters.

He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the
paths of righteousness for his name's sake.

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the
shadow of death; I will fear no evil: for thou
art with me; thy rod and thy staff they
comfort me.

Thou preparest a table before me in the
presence of mine enemies: thou anointest
my head with oil; my cup runneth over.

Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all
the days of my life; and I will dwell in the
house of the Lord for ever.
Psalm 23


I have known Steve for many years, since he got stationed up here in Minot. We were not always best buddies, and I am not trying to claim him as a close, close friend, but through the years we built up a good personal respect.

He was a phenomenal airplane engine mechanic when I first met him. We worked in the same Squadron as mechanics, but in separate shops. I was a general mechanic, more just a tire kicker, while he was a specialist in jet engines. Whenever we had a write-up, you could bet he would be there, maybe a little grouchy and demanding, but working alongside his guys, teaching the young ones, and making sure the job was done right.

We went a few places around the world together, and have a few stories to tell, but most of my 'stories' become little more than musings, when I think of Steve. I remember many tails that started out, "Remember that time when Linderleaf..." Any tale with Steve Linderleaf in it was sure to be non "PG" but full of action. However, his tales beat all, and usually after cross-checking were the truth. The man had, according to the old saying, "been there," and indeed, "done that." He bore the scars from many things, but left behind a piece of himself in everyone he touched.

When I wanted to follow Steve's lead and become an aircraft instructor, teaching newer Airmen some of the things I had learned, Steve gave me my interview, and told me I wouldn't like working for his boss. I didn't ask why. Steve just knew. Maybe we were cut from some of the same cloth. He was right. I didn't like it. It was the only piece of advice from a great friend that I didn't listen to.

Instructing wasn't all bad, but very few parts of the classroom, and my primary job stick in my head. I remember most, and reflect upon mornings drinking coffee, listening to music, and either discussing the coming day, the past, or what kind of tricks and stunts the boss had been up to, trying to put Steve in his place.

TSgt Steve Linderleaf was an 'old school,' crusty mechanic. Sure he cleaned up nice, and stood at the podium, and wrote crisp lesson plans, and covered all the bases, but inside was the passionate, hard working greasy handed man that was his core.

The boss was jealous that Steve could do just about anything and knew more by mistake than most mechanics learn in their life. It created strife, and though Steve tried hard to play by the rules, he rebelled a bit. Steve also looked out for the rest of the instructors, and that impresses me to this day. He would be having a horrible day, but if he thought other's needed a hand, or someone to look out for him, he would fight the fight.

Steve moved on from instructing, and went to lead the Inspection Section, where he was again getting dirty, and leading the way, fixing aircraft engines. When retirement approached, Steve decided 20 years was enough, and the Air Force could survive without him. I did not make his retirement ceremony, because sometimes work and life do not happen the way we want. I think the Air Force retired a great man, but change is the constant in our lives.

I must confess, I lost contact with Steve for awhile, or to clarify, did not see him. Pamela, his wife sent me emails and kept me updated with family happenings. I would return in kind. My daughter is doing well. I am engagued again. I wrote a book...I am married...life is well, etc...etc...

One day I brought an older Jeep, and had to drive the 35 miles to Donnybrook, Steve's adopted town to get the title signed from the previous owner. The next day I happened to be in the Minot AFB Gas Station to get tires for my car. The head mechanic was Steve. So much for a retirement spent sitting idle. He said, "come on back into the bay.." Past the "Employees Only" sign we went. While he tinkered and tuned and poked and prodded on a car, we caught up on old times, and made plans, which I regret not fulfilling. Plans of visiting and fishing and hanging out.

I saw Steve a few more times at the gas station, but never really got around to visiting, or making fishing plans.

One day I stopped at the gas station and another guy I knew was at the cash register ringing up a customer. I said, "Bob, I didn't know you worked here." He said, "yeah, I took over for Linderleaf." hmmmm...shrugs...

I sent out my Thanksgiving greetings last year, to share with family, friends, and loved ones. My blessings had been bountiful, and I wanted to share with all what was going on in my life.

Pamela sent me back an email telling me that Steve had a brain tumor, but it was going to be operated on. I figured Steve would attack cancer and treatment in the same way he had tackled so many other things in life; head down and swinging. No man or beast truly intimidated him, and he had won many a fight in his time. Sure he would put up with doctors and instructions, because he could 'shut up and color' when needed, and when it was on his own terms.

Christmas came and went, with greetings shared, and well wishes for the coming year, and I did not go visit my friend, though it was in my mind to. In early January, I received a flier for a benefit pancake breakfast for "Steven Linderleaf, former 5 MXS Mustang." The flier was distributed. "If anyone knows this guy, it is in Donnybrook."

My daughter Emily and I drove out to the breakfast, and spoke to Steve's daughter Andrea. "Dad's doing better, he has his moments. He is at home if you want to go visit."

With trepidation we knocked on Steve's door, and were led into the living room by Pamela. Steve was awake and alert, but not really the old Steve. Because of brain cancer, part of him just was missing. We did talk of old times and shared a few laughs and tears. I was sorely ashamed for not going to visit him on the many times I had promised to, but I was glad to have a chance to see my friend one last time.

I emailed Steve's daughter Angella when I returned to work the following Monday, and every once in awhile, just to chat about life and the Air Force, and she has become a pretty good friend. Unfortunately I had to meet her under adverse conditions.

Brain cancer and operations were followed by chemo-therapy. I wish I could finish this narration up with something good and positive, but unfortunately the fix also ravaged Steve's body, and he passed away in his sleep on Tuesday 8 April 2008, at the age of 49 years.

This Saturday, my wife and I made the trip to Donnybrook for the funeral. The music and memories were a fitting tribute to a great man. At the graveside, the ceremony was fast. A few words, a folded flag, and a volley of rifle shots echoing on the empty North Dakota prairie.

I shall miss you my friend. Go with God.


The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.

He maketh me to lie down in green pastures:
he leadeth me beside the still waters.

He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the
paths of righteousness for his name's sake.

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the
shadow of death; I will fear no evil: for thou
art with me; thy rod and thy staff they
comfort me.

Thou preparest a table before me in the
presence of mine enemies: thou anointest
my head with oil; my cup runneth over.

Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all
the days of my life; and I will dwell in the
house of the Lord for ever.
Psalm 23


For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
John 3:16

--------------------------------------------

24 April 2008

There is really no easy way to add to this entry, nor is there any way to prepare for cancer when it strikes so close to home. Here are the two most recent emails from my sister Bobbi:

Everyone,

I imagine that you know by now that Alfred is in the hospital. If not, here are the details: He has been sick for a while now. Apparently he was being treated for indigestion, but it got so bad on Wednesday that when he went to get health records in Ellsworth, he needed help out of the car. At the Ellsworth hospital they did blood tests and CT scan and stuff and told him that he had a blockage in his colon and they scheduled surgery for Thursday at 11. Mom said the surgeon called her and told her that he came through the surgery well, but that they found a growth in his small intestine. He is in the hospital in Ellsworth, Room 203. They are testing the growth for cancer. They will know around Tuesday. He had lost enough weight so that he is now 140lbs.

I just thought you might want to know.

Love,

Bobbi M. Martinez

-----------------------

After a follow up visit on Tuesday, 22 April 2008, he received the news that he has lymphoma. I have not talked to anyone at the hospital that treated him about what kind he has, or a course of action. He has a follow up appointment on 2 May to discuss options. Right now I am a bit overwhelmed.

More details to follow.

------------------------------

29 April 2008

From: Carol

To: Bobbi

Subject: RE: Fritz update

Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2008 14:08:28 -0400


All I can find on B-cell lymphoma is several leukemias. Is that what it looks like we are dealing with? I try not to diagnose, but that is a pretty scary one.

Carolyn Berryment
______________________________

Subject: Fritz update

Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2008 12:48:47 -0400

From: Bobbi

To: Carol

Hello everyone,

Here is the latest that I have heard:

Fritz had an appointment this morning in Ellsworth to have his 39 staples removed. All went well. He has gone from a low of 142 up to 150 in weight. Apparently he has been told to eat highly caloric food, but has no restrictions on type. He goes to the Cancer specialist in Bangor on Friday. He has been diagnosed with Type B Lymphoma, but there are about 14 Type-Bs, so I don't can't look up any specifics.

On another note, we are all well, and we hope you are too.

Regards,

Bobbi M. Martinez

----------------------------------------

1 May 2008

I spoke with my brother Al on the phone this afternoon. It was a pretty quick conversation, because I was at work. He seemed in very good spirits, and willing to fight the fights required. I pray to God for divine intervention, and strength in this battle.

------------------------------------------

2 May 2008

from: Jose and Bobbi Martinez

Hi all,

I have just come home from seeing Fritz during his visit to the Cancer doctor. They told him too much stuff for him to remember it all, but the jist of it was that the type of cancer he has is an aggressive-fast growing type.

They have scheduled him for a few more tests to see if they got all of it during the operation. Then, he is going to start chemotherapy after that. He is as small as Dad now, though he says he weighs 20 lbs or so more than when he went into the hospital for the operation.

The tests he is getting are a PET scan where they put a dye into him and then check to see if it shows up in various parts of his body. I think that it binds to the cancer cells, if there are any, and then they trace them. Also, he needs to have bone marrow tests, to see if it is in there, and another CT scan, I think.

I have heard from some other cancer survivors that I know, that the Doctor - Dr. Hartz, that he went to see, is very nice and very good.

He also got the coping and support group information, and the financial, bill paying assistance information while he was there.

He told me that he still has seven staples to be removed on Monday. They took out the tumor, his appendix, and part of his small and large intestines when they did the operation. Apparently the tumor was right around where the small and large intestines join each other.

That is all I know right now. If I hear more, I will pass it along. He seemed fairly strong and in good spirits when I saw him. His friend Blanche was with him, and she has been very supportive of him throughout this.

Love you all,

Bobbi

---------------------------------------------

21 May 2008

From: Jose and Bobbi Martinez

Hi all,

I went to sit with Fritz today when he had his appointment, and I tried to e-mail you with the details, but it kicked back and wouldn't send out. Well, I am trying again. I took copious notes and have detailed everything below. His weight has gone back up to around 175, though, he doesn't look it. He still looks skinny and small, though his belly is a little rounded now.

The cancer is Diffuse B-cell Large Cell Lymphoma. It is an aggressive, but not the most aggressive growing type of B-cell Lymphoma there is. Imagine a line that is broken up into quarters, with the first of the line being the slowest growing, least aggressive kind of Lymphoma, and the end of the line being the most aggressive fast growing kind of Lymphoma. Alfred's type is around the ¾ mark. So here is what the tests revealed:

May 9th CT scan:

Small Lymph glands in middle of chest enlarged (Dr. not sure if that meant they were cancerous)

Left lung has a less than 1cm spot on it. (See Pet Scan below)

Inflammation in sigmoid colon

PET Scan:

Bottom of chest or top of belly area showing indications (Area of Spleen)

The lump in the lung "lit" up (remember in PET scan the dye injected binds to cancerous cells and "lights" up under observation)

Bottom of belly area showing some indications of changes (Dr. said this could be due to post operative stuff going on)

Bone Marrow test; no indication of any cancerous cells in marrow; however, they found was that Fritz is severely anemic, which explains his weakness at present. Dr. Hartz said there was virtually no iron found in his bone marrow. Normal iron blood level is 14. Fritz is currently at 9. If he were to fall to 7, he would need a blood transfusion. Dr. Hartz said that the anemia meant that he was probably bleeding in his intestine for a long time to get the level so low.

Dr. Hartz diagnosed Fritz with a Stage 3 or Stage 4 Lymphoma. Stage 3 means the cancer showed up in 2 spots of the body, below and above the diaphragm. Stage 4 signifies that the cancer could involve other organs. There is uncertainty as to if his is 3 or 4 because the CT and PET scans were not definitely conclusive as to all of the indications actually being cancer.

The prognosis was this: This is a curable Lymphoma if Fritz goes through 6 rounds of Chemotherapy. Fritz expressed some concern that he would never get back the strength and ability to work the Physical Labor-type jobs he had done in the past, but the Doctor told him that he expects him to be back at 100% in 9-12 months from start of chemo.

So, where does he go from here?

Next week, he will have a Port-a-cath inserted into his body. This will allow the IV portion of Chemo therapy to be administered without repeated needle sticks. This will also allow blood to be drawn, for testing, more easily. They will also do a heart pumping function test to see if his heart can withstand the chemo. One of the drugs can do bad things to you heart.

He will start Chemo next week. This is how it will go: The chemotherapy will be in the form of 5 drugs - 1 oral and 4 through IV. This will take place on day 1. He will have to take a pill called Prednizone for 5 days after that. Then there will be no more chemo for 3 weeks. He will also get a couple of shots that help to make red and white blood cells during that time. Around the chemotherapy time, he will also receive IV injections of iron once a week. Fritz asked if it made sense to start taking Iron pills, and the doctor said he could certainly take a multivitamin with iron, but that wouldn't even come close to restoring the amount his body needed to function normally. Also, the chemotherapy will deplete the amount of iron he has now.

He can expect to lose his hair in 3-4 weeks after the start of Chemo, and it will come back 1-2 months after he has completed that therapy.

After 2 rounds of Chemo, they will repeat the CT scan. After round 4, they will repeat a CT scan and a PET scan, after round 6 he will be done with the chemo. They will follow up every 2 months for the next 2 years. If they see no indications of any more cancer in that time, they will consider him cured. They will do weekly blood work to monitor his progress and he should expect to spend all day doing Chemotherapy when he has to.

He also went to a Chemotherapy teaching session after his first appointment, where they really told him everything to expect and all about the drugs. He was also given a list of names to contact for various issues that he might have. I asked Blanche to try to get in to see the Social Worker that dealt with cancer patients before they left today, so that maybe they could get some advocacy for the financial and electrical stuff they have had to deal with. She was going to try to do that, but I did not stay to see if that was possible. Hopefully she did and the lady could do something for them.

I hope that helps to clear up some worries. It is still serious, but the doctor seemed really more optimistic that I thought he might be, and I think that God-willing, Fritz will come out ok on the other end in a few months.

When I left Fritz, waiting to go in to the Chemotherapy briefing, he said that he would really like to hear from everyone. He said please call him and Blanche at home.


I love you all,

Bobbi

P.S. If I forgot anyone, please forward this on also. Thanks a million.

--------------------------------------

28 May 2008

From: Al Marin

To: Lou Marin

Hey

I just got done with surgery to insert a port-a-cath in my chest were they will check my blood and administer chemo. I have shaved my head and am in good spirits so far. I start chemo on Friday morning it is going to be an all day thing once every three weeks. We went to Carol's last weekend and had a great time.Hope all is well with you.

Love

Fritz

--------------------------------------

4 June 2008

I gave blood today. Before I go into details, here is a good sight for blood donors:

http://www.donate-blood.com/site2/content/donor_faqs/donor_faqs.asp

When I give blood, I do Double Red Cell Donation. One good website for information on double cell is:

http://www.my-redcross.org/index.cfm/p/Double-Red-Cell

Being an O positive blood type, I am asked to give extra. No problem. The only side effects I suffer from double cell are an extra amount of time sitting in the donation center chair, and a general feeling of lethargy for the rest of the day after donating.

I try not to complain, because I know others who need blood, or who have blood and marrow problems live with far worse than I go through every day.

---------------------------------

6 June 2008

An update on my brother Al. Yes he has made it through round one of Chemotherapy a week ago. Sometimes the flow of information is slow, due to the distance between here and Maine, and various factors in all of our lives.

Here is the latest email traffic, oldest to newest:

From: patsy marin
To: Martinez, Bobbi

Hi Bobbi . Fritz made a trip to the Ellsworth hospital last night. He was in pain, his hip and that side of his body. It was a reaction to the medicine.

He has to call the Cancer Center today in Bangor because Ellsworth think he needs a blood transfusion.
love mom

From: Ellingson Lois
To: Martinez, Bobbi

Thanks for the update Bobbi. Does Fritz have any clean compatible blood supply or will they need donors for that?

V/r,

TSgt Lois Ellingson

From: Martinez, Bobbi
To: Ellingson Lois TSgt

I don’t know. I just asked Mom for more information about it and this is what she sent:

HI Bobbi

They gave him a really strong pain killer and the reaction will stop in a couple days. It was to a shot they gave him a week ago. he has talked to the doctor in Bangor and they won't give him a transfusion unless it is the last thing they can do because he would have to be hospitalized.

His white blood cells are very low.

-mom

Regards,

Bobbi M. Martinez


-------------------------

20 June 2008

From: patsy marin

To: Martinez, Bobbi


Hi Bobbi

Fritz got up yesterday morning to big amounts of his goatee having come out so he shaved the rest off, he liked that and it bothered him he lost it. He is very tired today and is laying around alot.

I have the painting Hazel Carter is donating here. She took it off the wall in her gallery with a price tag of 375 dollars on it. She also brought a dish with chicken in it for supper tomorrow night.

We have 40 things to auction from a wall cross to jewelry,

It looks like we will have a good turn out of people too. It was announce at 4 different beano in 4 different towns and in the paper.

We are all tired but if they get some money to help them it will be worth it.

love mom

From: Al Marin

To:Marin, Louis J TSgt

I am not having a banner day today but things will get better.

I am finally back online so it will be much easier to corespond with every one.

I only have my mustache and my eyebrows/lashes left on my head for hair not that being bald is bad but I lost my goatee damn it.

Thanks for the Prayers etc.

Love you Fritz

--------------------------------

28 June 2008

Sometimes I get too worried about the speed of my own life, and too wrapped up in how hard I am working to worry enough about others.

This email from my brother Al helps me keep perspective:

lucky man

From: Al Marin
Sent: Sat 6/28/08 3:55 PM
To: lou_marin

As I sit here telling my son about Uncle Lou and reading from Lou's Writing page as he falls asleep in the chair beside me.I can't help but think how lucky I am to have two happy healthy kids and the support of a great family and some awesome friends in my fight against my illness.Without the prayers and kind words this would be allot harder to handle.

Love Fritz


-------------------------------------------------

Updated 9 September 2009:

To follow my brother's Journey:

 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#1471838 by Not Available.


Thank you and God bless!
© Copyright 2006 Lou-Here By His Grace (tattsnteeth2 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1059371-Bone-Marrow-Journal