*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1060006-Trailguide-at-the-horse-ranch
by Bmao
Rated: ASR · Short Story · Activity · #1060006
An assignment for Fiction 107, based on a classmate's childhood experience
Basically, this assignment involved listening to one of my classmates relate one childhood experience they had to an assigned partner. Once all the notes are taken down, my job is to gather the information gleaned from their experience and write a story dscribing what had happened to the best of my understanding.

In a nutshell, what had happened was that Burnedette had gone to a horse ranch in Texas with family and friends (I think that's where it was if I can remember), and she'd gone on a horse ride at night in some mountain trail. She remembers it was exciting and scary at the same time, quite a vague description if you ask me.

I'm pretty sure Burnedette would say my interpretation is not an accurate portrayal of events. Because like all childhood memories, they are idealized nearly to the point which they become fantasy. Or perhaps I just twist it to the point that it is.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The horse ranch was a quaint, unimpressive structure that overlooked a series of rolling hills. I don't exactly where the ranch was, it was clearly out in the desert somewhere, as I remember complaining about the heat.

When we got inside the ranch itself, it wasn't much better. As an old western ranch had no air conditioning, mom and dad would constantly fan themselves with their portable, mist-blowing fans. It sure might have benefitted from some, as there was the lingering odor of rotting animal droppings and our own sweat.

With all this in mind, I was unsure why mom and dad had packed two pairs of pants for me during the two night stay. I found out when one staff member had warned during the orientation that the dead grass and hay could 'scrach ya up just as bad as a cactus could'.

Nothing real exciting happened until the ranchers took us to see the horses. Our group was taken to the edge one of the enclosures, where we got to see the horses close hand.

While our buck-toothed insturctor spoke, one of them trot up to the edge of the fense.

Its brown hair was meticulously combed in such a way that complimented its majestic proportion. Gracing the beasts back was a saddle crafted out of fine leather, upon which rode a cowgirl.

Out of the blue, my mother said to me, "Would you like to ride her Burnedette?"

I turned to face the horse, captivated by her round, mesmerizing eyes.

She seemed to say to me, Do not be frightened Burnedette, I promise I will keep you safe

For a moment, something from within told me that I should grow up to be a rancher, that I had to be a rancher just so I could be with these beautiful creatures.

I nodded.

The trainers lifted me onto her and placed me in the saddle. "Alright Burnedette" the trainer said, "To make her trot forward, kick her lightly, to make her turn left pull on the left rein, and to make her go right go on the right rein. To make her stop, pull back. I promise that she will not leave but as you are a beginner do not test how fast she can go"

Though she had given me all the instructions, I still feel somewhat unprepared. In fact it was almost frightening to realize I now had control over this majestic beast.

I kick her softly. For a second I am afraid I had done something wrong when she grunts softly, yet to my amazement she trots forward. After a few paces I pull on the left. After hesitating a bit, she obeys. I then on the right. She actually obeys again. I am elated.

Gradually I get used to learning how to ride her, and because of this she actually begins to trust me. Soon these movements become second nature, nearly to the point I could command her through my will. It was all too dissappointing when the ride ended; yet I realized my classmates wanted to ride horses too.

After a bit of waiting I had the chance to ride other horses, and was surprised to learn they each had their own particular quirks. For example, a gray mare I rode would only turn left after I had tugged twice, yet would go right without so much as a tug. No matter what the horse was like, I loved each one of them.

AFterwards we said goodbye to the horses and had dinner. While we ate, the cowboys gave a show for us. It was so much fun. Then, when it ended, one of the ranchers announced that there would be a horse ride at night on the mountain trail.

I was immediately excited; I knew how to ride a horse now so it should be no problem.

I asked mom if I could go, but she wouldn't have any of it, "Burnedette, not only is it dark but it is dangerous but the ranchers warned that coyotes are common on the trail"

I insist. "If you say so" mom sighs.

In half an hour I and the others who volunteered for the night ride are set up. We are given flashlights along with our usual provision. I pick the brown horse with whom I learned to ride, she seems eager to have me ride her.

AFter another round of instructions, we rode off into the mountains. The trail quickly narrows, and combined with the dark, I feel hesitant again. Yet I trust my horse will get me through, and she trusts me.

We reach a fork It looks brighter, not to mention safer. While looking to my left and right, I see little glints of light. They are exceedingly beautiful, yet the horses have become restless.

“What’s wrong with them?” my friend Lisa asks. “I don’t know” I reply. The next moment, the bushes shift. My horse has become more restless than ever, her body is rigid, she breathes deep, and there is nothing I can do to relieve her. I then realize what is making them act this way, those glints of lights in the bushes are the eyes of the coyotes.

One of the horses reared back and whinnied, causing the rest to fall into panic. Without warning they all began trampling down the trail much too fast. In my panic, I pull back, but she acts only on instinct now. I can now only hope she knows the trail back to the ranch, back to where mom and dad are. Fortunately we all arrive unhurt, yet when mom heard about what had occurred on the ill-fated night ride she forbade me to go on any night rides ever again.

I was happy to be back however, and felt I had had enough of riding for quite a while.
© Copyright 2006 Bmao (commiemao at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1060006-Trailguide-at-the-horse-ranch