*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1060712-We-Always-Want
Rated: 13+ · Script/Play · Emotional · #1060712
This is my take on adolescence from my personal experience and that of others plz comment
Amanda L.Shore
Scene 1.

Stage is black until directed.

ANNESSA: I had a wonderful time tonight. (pause. Giggles) Yes you may kiss me.

(Lights up—Annessa is sprawled out on her bed centrestage, deep in thought)

MOTHER: (from offstage) Honey, time for dinner!

ANNESSA: In a minute, mom! (she begins “practicing her responses to “boyfriend”) Yes you may kiss me. Oh, yes you can kiss me. Yeah, lay one on me, stud.(disgusted with herself) Ugh!

MOTHER: (offstage) Annessa! Dinner. Now!

ANNESSA: Coming! (begins to exit, then pauses she turns towards the audience and does one imaginary goodbye to her “boyfriend”) Thanks for a great night, Brad. (she blows a kiss into the audience and walks offstage)

BLACKOUT

Scene 2

Scene opens with Annessa lying on a couch in front of a television set, her head resting on a boy. Lights are dim, so that you can just barely make the shape of the boy out.

ANNESSA: You like this movie?

BOY: Not really.

ANNESSA: Oh.

BOY: But I like being here with you.

ANNESSA: Well that’s okay then. (she smiles up at him, he leans in and they kiss for several moments)

BLACKOUT

Lights come back up and the boy is gone, From the t.v we hear lines from a “movie”

T.V BOY: You are so beautiful.

T.V GIRL: Does that mean you’re not mad about not going out tonight?

T.V BOY: I don’t care where we are, as long as I’m with you.

Kissing noises

ANNESSA: (sighs and turns off television) Only in the movies.

BLACKOUT

Scene 3
The stage is set up to resemble a high school dance, there are several tables set up, in the middle of which couples are slow dancing. Annessa is seated at a table all alone. The song changes and a spotlight falls on Annessa, the rest of the stage is dark and the dancers are still. From the shadows a boy wearing a tux and white mask enters the shadow and gives Annessa his hand. She accepts and the spotlight sweeps them to centrestage. They dance until the music slows and the lights dim to black.

Lights up and Annessa is once again seated by herself at a table. Everyone is still slow dancing until the music changes to a dance tune and everyone is dancing. Annessa gets up hesitantly and begins dancing on the outside of the group. Slowly she works her way to centrestage and as she does, couples around her begin to pair off and slowly leave the stage, until she is the only one left. The boy re-enters and takes her hand and begins to lead her offstage, the lights dim and when they come back up, he is gone and she is all alone with her hand outstretched.

BLACKOUT

Scene 4
Annessa is with Rachel who is holding her boyfriend Mark’s hand. Also there is Lisa who is wearing boy clothes and Jim who appears sleepy.

ANNESSA: New clothes, Lisa?

LISA: Nope, borrowed ‘em from my boyfriend. I was over at his house and I was cold so he lent me them.

ANNESSA: Cool.

RACHEL: Oh, that reminds me Annessa I can’t hang out with you Friday. It’s Mark and mine’s 2 month anniversary and he’s taking me out, but he won’t tell me where. (she pouts jokingly)

MARK: Of course I can’t tell you where, baby, it’s a surprise.

RACHEL: Well it better be good.

MARK: Would I let you down?
RACHEL: No. (she giggles as he starts kissing her neck) Stop that. (giggles, they start kissing on the lips)

JIM: Get a room!

MARK: Not a bad idea, c’mon babe.

RACHEL: (giggles) See you guys, later. (they exit)

LISA: Somebody’s crabby.

JIM: That’s cause I didn’t get barely any sleep. I was talking to Chelsea on the phone all night.

ANNESSA: Is that your new girlfriend?

JIM: Yep.

LISA: What number is she, twenty-five?

JIM: Jealous, Lisa? Wanna get in on the action do ya?

LISA: Oh shut up. (she throws a ball of paper at him)

JIM: Ooo you’re gonna pay for that. (she squeals in mock terror and he chases her offstage)

Annessa is left alone onstage

BLACKOUT

Scene 5

Back in Annessa’s bedroom
Annessa is lying casually on her bed wearing a men’s dress shirt and boxers.

ANNESSA: Yeah, I fell asleep at Brad’s so he lent me his clothes so I’d be more comfortable. It’s was our 3 month anniversary on Saturday …
Spotlight falls on Annessa
ANNESSA: The cool ocean water,
Rushes in to meet the sand,
Seagulls circle overhead,
Shrieking with glee.

It is early still,
We are the sole people on the beach,
His arm holds my waist,
Pressing me against his warm body.

We walk on,
Our feet sifting the sand,
We stop and he holds me close,
I am secure in his arms.

It is hard to describe,
One’s beating heart,
It is like a pounding rhythm,
Vibrating the soul.

His lips and mine meet,
And they rejoice in dance,
A feeling of utter bliss,
As our bodies touch.

But it is too good to be real,
For soon he begins to fade,
Slipping away,
To become only a fantasy.

Not a reality.

BLACKOUT

ACT 2-Scene 1

Jim is in the process of making a sandwich, when the spotlight falls on him he holds the mustard bottle up like a microphone and looks out into the audience.

JIM: Thank you. Thank you so much. I imagined this day in my head, but I can’t believe I’m actually here. Thank you mom, dad, for believing in me and for giving me impeccable looks. Thank you to everyone who made this film possible and finally I’d like to thank the Academy for not only nominating me, but selecting me as this year’s Best Actor. Thank you everyone, thank you so much. (starts mock crying) Thank you, I am truly honored.

BLACKOUT

Scene 2
Jim is seated centrestage, eating his sandwich. Lisa enters wearing a basketball jersey.

LISA: Do you know how many calories are in that?

JIM: Nope. Don’t care.

LISA: Whatever. Are you coming to my basketball game or what.

JIM: Yeah, I’ll be there.

LISA: It starts at 8, you need a ride?

JIM: Nah, I’ll walk I could use the exercise.

LISA: Cool, I’ll catch ya later.

JIM: Good luck

LISA: Yeah, thanks. (she exits)

Jim starts bouncing an imaginary basketball.

JIM: Jimmy sets up for the shot. He shoots (Jim mimes shooting) HE SCORES! The crowd goes wild!

BLACKOUT

Scene 3
Jim, Mark, Rachel, Annessa and Lisa are seated in a classroom, the teacher is at the front of the class.

TEACHER: (bored sounding) Now class… I’m about to hand out your essays and I have to say some of you did especially well.
The lights changes and the teacher becomes animated.
TEACHER: Especially , Jim his paper on Napoleon’s influences on the 21st century was phenomenal. The grammar, impeachable. The phrases, the format, the content—it was absolutely brilliant. If it isn’t too presumptuous of me, I’d say he’s the next Mark Twain. Well done, Jim. “A” triple plus!
Lights returns to normal
TEACHER: (handing out papers) Mark, an A, well done. Lisa a D-, see me after class Annessa C-, Rachel B+ and Jim a B, average—but nicely done.

BLACKOUT

Scene 4
Lisa, Rachel, Annessa, Mark and Jim are onstage

LISA: Did you guys see that three pointer I shot?! Dudes, we are going to the championship! (Lisa high fives Annessa)

ANNESSA: I’m sooo excited! What a week! What with getting first in the National Shakespearean Festival and our team going to the championship, I can’t believe it!
MARK: Yeah, but with Ms. MVP here, how could you have lost.

LISA: Speaking of which, how many medals did you say you won at cross country, Mark?

MARK: Four gold and one silver, it’s a new high school record.

RACHEL: Oh, that reminds me, remember that modeling contest I sent my picture in for? Well they called last night to tell me I’d been selected as one of the top ten!

ANNESSA: Omigosh that’s incredible! So do you get to perform or something?

RACHEL: Yeah, I get to walk the runway and if a fashion designer likes me, I get sighed!

ALL: Wow, that’s awesome, way to go etc. etc.

JIM: Hey, did you guys catch the Simpson’s Marathon this weekend?

MARK: Nope.

RACHEL: Me neither.

ANNESSA: I didn’t.

LISA: Didn’t have a chance.

JIM: Oh.

BLACKOUT

Scene 5
Jim is all alone in his bedroom talking to himself.

JIM: Hey mom, I think I’m gonna need a new shelf for this trophy, my other ones are pretty full. And where should I put this plaque, there’s like no room on my walls.
Did you wash my jersey, mom? The championship game is tonight and I want to look my best.
Did I tell you who called today? John Belushy from the cola company. They picked my design as one of the top ten finalists.
Spotlight falls on Jim
JIM: They’re here for you,
Paid good money,
You’re the best,
You’re it.

The media loves you,
Flashing pictures everywhere,
You’re their story,
You’re it.

You’ve accomplished something big,
You’re a star,
You’re a hit,
You’re it.

Only I’m just dreaming,
Haven’t done anything,
All a fantasy,
Not it.
BLACKOUT

ACT 3-Scene 1
Lisa is in a store, looking at clothes, Rachel enters carrying a pile of clothes.

RACHEL: Ugh! This store never carries my size, but I love this skirt. Do you think they could tailor it for me?

LISA: Yeah, I guess so.

RACHEL: Did you find anything?

LISA: Err…no. There wasn’t anything I liked.

RACHEL: Ok, well I’m gonna go pay for these. I’ll be right back.

Rachel exits. Spotlight on Lisa

LISA: (pretending to go up to a sales clerk) Excuse me miss, does this come in a smaller size. Like a zero, perhaps. No? Oh, that’s to bad, well I guess I’ll have to try and shrink it.

Light returns to normal, Rachel re-enters.

RACHEL: Ready to go?

LISA: Yeah. (she casts a longing look at the clothes rack and then exits behind Rachel)

BLACKOUT

Scene 2
Lisa is in her bedroom-standing in front of her mirror holding a dress to her chest.

LISA: (pretends to be modeling in the mirror and doing the commentary of onlookers) Omigosh how does she keep so thin! I wish I could look like that. Do you think she’s on some kind of diet? She looks pretty healthy though, I bet it’s a genetic thing, she was probably born skinny.

Lisa turns around and checks out her rear, with a sad sigh she examines the dress and then throws it away and walks off stage.

BLACKOUT

Scene 3
Mark and Jim are centrestage leafing through a magazine

MARK: Oh dude! Check this girl out! Man, I haven’t seen breasts like that since my mom made chicken for dinner!

JIM: Well if she’s a chicken then I’m an egg and she can lay me all she wants! Oh yeah!

Lisa enters

MARK: Wow, check out the bode on this chick. Woowee she is a fine looking specimen.

JIM: So I guess you take your chicks lean, eh Mark?

MARK: As lean as they come.

LISA: Hey guys.

JIM: Oh hey Lisa! He hides the magazine behind his back. Nice day eh?

LISA: Yep.

BLACKOUT

Scene 4
Annessa, Mark, Lisa, Jim and Rachel are gathered onstage.

RACHEL: Hey guys did you hear that if you’re too fat to fit in a seat on an airplane they make you buy two!

JIM: Doesn’t your mama do that, Mark?

MARK: Speaking of your mama. Yo mama so fat the navy borrowed her undies for parachutes.

everyone except Lisa laughs

JIM: Oh yeah! Well yo mama’s so fat, when she was born they thought she had two heads!
Everyone is silent.

ANNESSA: I don’t get it.

JIM: “Cause they thought her butt was her head, you know cuz it was big…oh never mind.

ANNESSA: Speaking of fat, did you see Clarrissa? She gained like ten pounds over the summer!

MARK: Yeah and her jugs are huge.

The group continues making fat jokes as Lisa slips into the background and offstage


BLACKOUT

Scene 5
Lisa is alone onstage

LISA: These days it seems,
Paper thin is the way to be.

Can’t blubber like a seal,
That ain’t got sex appeal.

If you can see your rear,
Baby you better disappear.

Because no one looks at the fat gal,
Except in disgust at her corral.

No matter what I do,
It will never come true.

I’m plump,
A fat dump.

Not thin.


BLACKOUT


ACT 5-Scene 1
Annessa, Jim and Lisa are onstage—facing the audience.

ANNESSA: I want…

JIM: I want…

LISA: I want…

ANNESSA: If only I had…

JIM: If only I were…

LISA: If only I was…

ALL: Would I be happy?

BLACKOUT
© Copyright 2006 wordplay (keyring at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1060712-We-Always-Want