*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1061619-A-bit-about-me
Rated: E · Sample · Sci-fi · #1061619
I know how long I've been alive, but my soul is so much older.
I felt as though I was in a trance, my mind was spinning, and then as quickly as a station changes on your television, everything became quite clear.
I was on the deck of a starship. The time is far, far in the past. My eyes opened and I looked around. There were so many people staring at me, in amazement, talking in hushed tones. I put my hand to my ear and adjusted my interpreter, and their voices became clearer. I could understand their language. I sat up and looked around. I appeared to be in a cargo bay of a large starship. The cargo pod that I had been in was on the floor along with my personal belongings.
I sat up and someone asked me who I was. I could not reply, it must have been the effects of being in stasis for a long time. I took out my identification cards from my pocket and held them in my hand. A man who appeared to be a senior noncommissioned officer, looked at them, and told everyone to clear the cargo bay.
"The captain will want to see you my friend." he said.
"Why?" I managed to say, in a voice that was more of a squeak than anything else.
"I have been in the service almost twenty years, and although I have heard of Federation Warriors before, neither I nor anyone else I know has ever met one."
"What year is this? How long have I been out?" with that I felt myself getting very light headed, and then things went blank.

My eyes opened again and I could tell I was in a medical facility, most probably the ship's medical bay. There was the distinct smell of disinfectant in the air. A woman bent over me and shined a light in my eyes.
"Doctor, He's awakening."
“Good. Maybe we can get some answers.” The doctor’s voice was feminine, but I could not see her. I tried to move but my muscles were so stiff I couldn’t move. I moaned a bit and she came to my side.
“You have to be still, your body can’t move right now. You have been in stasis for a long time.”
“How long?” I managed to ask her in a more human like voice.
“I don’t know. It looks like a really long time. I was hoping you might be able to shed some light on it.”
“I need some water first.”
Her assistant held a cup with a straw to my lips. I was able to get some water in my mouth and was able to feel it start to take effect almost immediately. I sucked the rest of the water down, and could feel the effect radiate out from my chest. After a few moments, I felt my strength start to return, and was able to sit up a bit.
“That is absolutely amazing.” the doctor said. “How do you do that?”
“Do what?” I asked.
“Recover from what appears to be at least thirty years in stasis in moments, where a normal person would take days or weeks to recover.”
The look of amazement on her face was almost funny in a way. I had seen it before, when recovering from combat injuries. I sipped some more water and a few moments later was able to sit up on the bed I was on. The doctor took some more tests, scanned me up and down, and just looked at the results with a blank face.
“You are puzzled Doctor?”
“Tell me more about yourself.”
“Simple, I am a Federation Warrior. What do you want to know?”
“Please explain all this.” she said waving the test results in the air. “What does Federation Warrior mean exactly? Federation Warriors were only a legend I thought. I mean I have read stories, and seen pictures, but I thought it was all a bunch of government propaganda or something.”
“No, Doctor. Not legend, not propaganda.” a man said as he walked into the room. Everyone deferred to him. They did not snap to attention but you could tell he was someone important.
"Captain on Deck!" the guard announced.
"As you were." he said before anyone could react. "Doctor, there is something you forgot.”
“What’s that sir?”
“A name, his name.” He turned towards me and held out his hand, “Hello, I am Captain Remington. What is your name?”
“Thank you Captain. I am Michael Thompson, Colonel and Federation Warrior.”
“Well, that was easy enough, eh Doctor?” he said with a grin. “Tell me Colonel, how long have you been floating around out here?”
“I don’t really know. I haven’t had a chance to look at my log. It will tell me more details.”
The captain turned to the security guard, “Where are his belongings? Bring them here.” The guard turned and left for a few moments. When he returned he had a small bag in his hands.
“Colonel, is this it?”
“Yes. Thank you.” I tapped in the code to open the lock, and it popped open. I found my log pad in the bottom of the bag, turned it on and scrolled through the entries. I was a bit amazed if I say so my self when I read the final entry. I had been floating around for over a generation… ninety eight years to be exact.
“Well Colonel, How long have you been out?” the captain asked.
“It appears that I have been out for just a few days over ninety eight years.” The reality was starting to hit me. All my friends, virtually everyone I knew, was gone. Either killed in the wars or died of old age.
“ May I look at that?”, the doctor asked. I handed it to her. I showed her how to activate it and access the information.
“Don’t worry doctor. I do not keep my personal logs in here. I use another log pad for that.”
“Then what is on here?”
“Everything official you ever wanted to know about a Federation Warrior. Assignments, decorations, commendations, promotions, all that kind of stuff.”
“Excuse me doctor, I would like to look at that first. There may be some classified or sensitive material on it. I will make you a copy of the unclassified information and send it to you.”, the captain said as he held his hand out. The doctor reluctantly handed it over to him. I could tell she really wanted to know more about me.
“Well doctor, take care of our guest. Remember, he is an officer. When he is able, I would like to give him a bit of a tour. Colonel, I’ll see you later.” With that he turned and abruptly left the medical bay.
I noticed the doctor was a bit…annoyed at the captain’s behavior. “What is going on doctor?”
“Oh, nothing. He is just a bit nervous. He was just promoted a few weeks ago and this is his first major command.”
“Alright, but why is he so uptight?”
“He was doing fine right up to the point when we beamed you aboard.”
“So?”
“So, he is like everyone else on the ship and the fleet. He has a Federation Warrior on his ship and they haven’t been around for over fifty years or so. He is wandering what the hell is going on, and so am I.”
“Well don’t be so nervous, I don’t bite or anything. I happen to be a fairly well educated, house broken kind of guy. If you could get me some more water, I will be glad to talk about just about anything you want.”
She came to the edge of the table, and looked him in the eyes, “Alright, colonel, let’s begin.”
“First, besides the water, I need something from you.”
“Me? What do you need from me?”
“What’s your name? Can I assume you have a name, maybe two, a first and last or family name?”
She grinned a bit, and handed him a cup of water, “Sarah Willis. Dr. Sarah Willis”
“See that wasn’t so hard was it?” I said between sips of water.

“Tell me about yourself.” she said with a grin. She liked his wit, she thought.
“What do you want to know?”
“First, how old are you? Your med scan says that you are about thirty five to forty years, but like you said, you have been in stasis for over ninety eight years. Have you ever been in stasis before for a long period of time?”
“Let me see my bag.” She handed it to me and I took out my personal log and scrolled though the entries. To my surprise, I had been in stasis several times in my career, for a total of almost three hundred years.
‘Wow, time sure flies’ I thought to myself. Most of it was coming back to me. I knew that all of my memories would return in a few days if I was allowed to get sufficient rest and food.
“I have been in stasis several times in my career, and it appears that I am over three hundred years old.”
She was taken back a bit, that was obvious by the look on her face. “That means you have spent almost a third of your life in stasis.”
“That’s not so bad. The average human spends almost a third of their life sleeping.” I commented not wanting to reveal too much at one time, and wanting to keep the conversation light.
“What does it mean to be a warrior?” She asked. I could sense that she wanted to get to heart of the matter whether I was a man or myth.
“It is, and has always been about service. We are dedicated to the service of the people. Since the Federation was a government, our organization was set up like a military organization, with the sole purpose of serving the Federation. We were trained not only as fighters, but also as teachers, pilots, engineers, mechanics, every walk of life you can imagine. We were trained in the Warrior Code, how to act, walk, talk, our entire lives revolved around the Code, and serving the Federation.”
“What type of warrior were you trained to be? I wouldn’t think that a mechanic would be put into stasis for over ninety years, would he?” she asked pulling up a chair and sitting back. Her actions told me that she was getting ready to get into a deep conversation that might take a while.
“Every warrior is trained as a fighter first, then trained further as your aptitude leads you. I was trained as a pilot. I started out like every other pilot, starting with shuttlecraft, doing grunt work, later I trained to fly transports, first freighters, then personnel. Afterwards I was trained as a combat pilot. Then later I went on to learn fleet navigation, tactics. I also was trained in special warfare, intelligence, and counter intelligence. I have been basically trained to fight on land, sea, air, and in space. I have been to over forty systems, from one side of the galaxy to the other.”
She sat in her chair with her legs crossed, she was submerged in my short story completely. I waved my hand back and forth to get her attention, “Doctor, hello…”
She snapped back to the present with a blink of her eyes and a shake of her head.
“Sorry. I just find this so amazing, that you have accomplished so much in only thirty years or so. There are rumors that warriors can do things with only their minds, like telepathy. Is that true?”
“Explain, what are you searching for Doctor?” I asked not really knowing what or where she was going with this.
“I have heard things like you can move objects with your mind, and that you could control people, or make them do things that they normally would not do.”
“Oh yes, the mind control thing. No I’ve never been able to make people do strange things, but given the right kind of input people can be let’s say influenced.”
“What about moving objects? Can you do that stuff?”
“Almost every warrior is trained in telekinesis, and ones with a gift for it are further trained.”
“Can you demonstrate it?” she was leaning forward like a child on the edge of their seat at a theater.
“Well, I am a bit rusty, let me try to move this cup.” I placed the cup of water on the bedside table. “I’ll try to make slide across the table. Ok?”
“I’d love to see it. Quite frankly I don’t believe in this stuff, so I’d like to see if you can.”
“Oh, Doctor, believing is half the battle. Once you truly believe, all you have to do is move it.” I held my hand about six inches from the cup and relaxed. I concentrated on the cup and after a few seconds it started to vibrate and then shake on the table. I closed my eyes and breathed deeply concentrating on the cup. A few seconds later I heard the Doctor slide her chair back and gasp. I opened my eyes and the cup was in my hand a few inches from where it originally was.
“Oh my God!” she stared in amazement, “How did you do that?” her eyes were wide open and her mouth was gaping wide.
Before I could answer her, the door opened and the Captain reappeared.
“What’s going on here?” he asked in a stern voice.
“The Doctor was asking me about telekinesis, and…”
“Let me guess,” he crossed his arms across his chest, and I could see he had my official log in his hands, “You just showed her something. Am I right?”
“Yes sir.”
“Doctor? Are you alright? Doctor!”
She snapped back to the present, blinked her eyes and finally responded, “Yes sir!”
“What has the good Colonel told you about his training?”
“He said he was a trained pilot, trained in special warfare and …”
“Telekinesis, and psycho-kinesis?”
“Yes sir.”
“Well Colonel, you have quite a flair for understatement. Once you get rested and eat, how powerful is this trait of yours?”
“I rightly don’t remember Captain, my long term memory hasn’t quite returned yet.”
“Really,” he turned toward the Doctor, “May I speak to you in your office, right now?” He opened the door and they both stepped out and the door closed. I was left alone with the glass of water. I put it to my lips and sipped it slowly.
As the Captain and the Doctor walked down the corridor, she started asking questions.
“Not now Doctor, in your office.” Once they were in her office, he went to the communications panel.
“Computer, disable all recording devices in ship’s doctors office, Captain’s voice authorization three, nine, three, golf, nine, zero, two, nine, one, three, three.”
“All recording devices deactivated.” the computer’s voice responded.
“Captain, with all due respect, what the hell is going on?” the doctor said taking her seat behind the desk.
“Doctor, let me paint you a picture. In the old days the Federation Warriors were an army of troops, extensively trained, probably the best trained troops in history, and equipped to protect the Federation, and sometimes to do it’s bidding. There were millions of them, and sometimes they were like a police force, sometimes they fought wars for the Federation. Some of these wars were sanctioned by the government, some of them were clandestine. The Warriors were set up like an army with ranks, and an organization like any other army, with a slight exception. In order to gain rank, you had to add to your skill set. The more skills you had as a warrior, the higher rank you had. Do you understand what I have said so far?”
“Yes sir I believe so. But before you go any further….” she opened a desk drawer and pulled out two small glasses, and a bottle. “I need a drink. This shit is too much.” She poured two drinks and pushed one toward the Captain.
“Good idea.” he slammed his drink back fast and gulped it down. He sat the glass back down and motioned for her to refill it.
“I just read his log. Our Colonel was trained in just about everything you can imagine. As he rose through the ranks his skills doubled. The army was made up of millions of troops, and there were probably thousands of trainers, training the troops in different skills. In the organization above the trainers there were senior trainers, and above them, were masters. I did some research, some of these masters trained for years, some for their entire lives, to become a master in one discipline alone. It seems that our esteemed Colonel has mastered almost ALL of the disciplines of the Federation Warriors! It looks like he may have made a few enemies along the way though, and that is the reason he is still only a Colonel, and why he was in stasis for such a long time floating around in space.”
“Captain, this is just too much to absorb. I need some time to digest this.” she said as she gulped her drink down.
“How fast was he recuperating?”
“I gave him a glass of water and it was amazing what it did to his body. He soaked it up like a sponge.”
“I imagine that when he is fully reconstituted, and gets a meal in him, we will have our hands full.”
“You said he was trained in almost all disciplines?”
“Yes, not only that but it seems that there were several battles where he was instrumental in our victory.















© Copyright 2006 Ancient Warrior (golfer5002 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1061619-A-bit-about-me