*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1063471-Attaining-the-Paperless-Office
Rated: E · Other · Business · #1063471
Explore the pros and cons of document scanning and storage.
Document Scanning - The Space Saving Service

Anyone who has ever worked in an office remembers giant filing cabinets filled to the brim with (overflowing) paper documents. If you're anything like me, you have recurring nightmares about these monsters. Smaller offices may have one such cabinet, while larger work environments hold 10, 20 or more of these space wasters. Modern companies are taking steps to eliminate these eye-sores. With our daily and office lives becoming more and more digitized, the natural next step for these clusters of paper lies in the computer. Document Scanning makes all your important records just a click away.

What should you look for when choosing a company?

" Customer Service - if possible, talk to someone at the company to analyze the level of help they are willing to give in set up, etc
" Ease of Use - find out if the scanned documents are software specific, or non-proprietary format
" Options - determine which document storage routine is best for you. While online access will work for some, others might prefer in house storage
" Maintenance - how involved is the company willing to be with repairs and upgrades in the future

Now that we have an idea of what kind of company to look for, let's talk document storage. Not surprisingly, there are several types of document storage one can take advantage of. It's important to research each one and determine which is best for you, so you can get the most out of your document storage experience.

The many types of digital document storage:

" Document conversion to CD
" Web Based scanned document access
" Advanced Technology using Jukebox and RAID storage devices
" COLD applications (Computer Output to Laser Disk / Enterprise Report Management)

Different methods are going to work for different companies. Below, we'll take a closer look at each type of document storage; their benefits and drawbacks. Ultimately, it's up to you to decide which method is best for your needs.

" Compact Disc Storage

The most simple, and usually least expensive, method is document conversion to CD. Depending on where you go, you'll find different types of CDs offered. I'd suggest searching for a company that offers Gold CD-Rs, which are guaranteed for 200 years (!). Make sure to get a CD that is compatible with all CD-Rom drives. The CD should also be usable on any platform.

While the CD platform presents a convenient way to access you documents at any time, it also presents an inherent danger. CDs are not indestructible, and easily misplaced. It's a good idea (if you have the room on your computer) to copy all the files directly into a hard drive or two, so you can be sure to have back up.

" Web Accessible Document Storage

Imagine simply logging into a secure website and instantly having access to all your company's files. Companies like PaperVision allow for this sort of file storage. Generally, the online document storage company will provide you with all sorts of grouping, search and filing options. Take a look at the available web options offered by your document scanning service. Each web based storage facility is run a bit differently. Some let you access the files via your browser; some send them to your FTP site. It's important to feel secure (and to be secure) when accessing your documents, so do your research on this one before you commit.

" Jukebox and RAID storage devices

Think of Jukebox and RAID storage devices as little safety boxes in your office that contain all your company's information. Both systems work the same way. However, RAID has made a few improvements distancing it from Jukebox, the original storage device. Data storage is less expensive than with, and the more advanced versions are hundreds of times faster. Another benefit of RAID, is that it uses its own software, similar to the program we spoke of earlier used to access web based storage devices, while Jukebox must obtain 3rd party software.

" COLD/ERM Applications (Computer Output to Laser Disk / Enterprise Report Management)

COLD/ERM refers to the creation of laser disks of reports and files. But isn't that what we've been talking about the whole time? Well, COLD differs in that it's an application stored on a computer at your workplace which you can access at any time. The programs are invaluable for organizing data, filing new reports and locating files. For some people, seeing a computer quietly humming away in their office that processes all their documents provides peace of mind.

While there are other options out there for paperless filing, such as microfilm, the options presented here were chosen for their strength and versatility. For more information regarding document scanning and storage, visit http://www.mountain-scanners.com/.

© Copyright 2006 T_rideRay (xylemark at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1063471-Attaining-the-Paperless-Office