*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1067062-On-The-Reference-Shelf
Rated: E · Essay · Business · #1067062
A discourse on essential/nonessential reference material collected by the author.
This article or essay will probably seem a little redundant to most people who have an interest in writing.
I've collected a number of items over the years,some of which are boxed up in a storage shed.Since it is a cold,snowy day in February, I'm not inclined to trek out there and retrieve them,so the following is not exhaustive.
Nevertheless,I do have a few items within easy reach.The first that I consider to be amoung the essential items is my Oxford American Desk Dictionary and Thesaurus 2nd edition.As far as I'm concerned,it's one of the best dictionaries I've ever had.It is starting to get a little shop worn,but should have a good number of years left in it.
The second place on my desk is occupied by Strunk and White,The Elements of Style,4th edition.I've had several copies of this slim volume.Essential.I repeat,essential.
Third place goes to Random House,Guide to Good Writing by Michell Ivers.Has a different approach to the above.Includes Poe's Masque of the Red Death,and a essay by Emerson.Also excerpts of F.Scott Fitzgerald,T.S.Eliot,amoung others.Highly recommended.
Next is a recent addition, The Copywrite Handbook,How to Protect& Use Written Works.Nolo Publishers.Comes complete with a cd rom with the 23 forms in the book.If you want to know everything about copyright,and have it in a handy volume,this is it.
Next I have,Writing the Killer Treatment,
Selling Your Story Without a Script,by Michael Halperin.I picked that up at Barnes&Noble discount table.I have a couple paperback collections of short stories,a book on plot,one with some essays on science fiction,and a lot of others boxed up related to writing.
I've also picked up a lot of other reference material not remotely related to writing,some of which,like Public Transportation and Land Use Policy, apparently are waiting to be put to use in some future story, but have me wondering what I was thinking when picked them up.But that is the nature of the beast folks.
© Copyright 2006 Robert Ash (robert50 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1067062-On-The-Reference-Shelf