*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1067910-The-White-Flame-Part-D
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Novel · Fantasy · #1067910
Even more of TWF!
Chapter 8

Braeden began to weep, head in hands, in the bed in Rhianna's Temple in Leandin. Kiomo and Andellyn exchanged a glance, and Kiomo jerked his head towards Braeden, signaling her to speak.

"Brae?" she asked tentatively. "Are you all right, Brae? I'm right here. It's me, Andy."

He looked up at her, eyes streaming. He managed a small smile, but his eyes still spoke sadness. "Andy," he said, his voice still hoarse. Not thinking, or perhaps just not caring the reception he'd get, he feebly took her hands in his. "Where are we?"

Andy, surprised to find her small hands enveloped in his large ones, cast a fleeting confused glance at Kiomo, whom the bard had yet to take notice of. "We're in Rhianna's Temple in Leandin. There was nothing we could do for you, so we brought you to the healers here."

He glanced around the room, still not noticing Kiomo. He nodded, but tears were still streaming down his face.

"Brae, what's the matter?"

"I should've believed Gerik," he said, his hoarse voice barely louder than a whisper. "Gorden, he's acting. And it's worse than Gerik thinks."

Andy's brows knit in concern. "What do you know, Brae?"

"He's kidnapping children, Andy. He's training them - an army of Knights, Adepts, even Bards, but to serve him instead of the gods. They've no choice in the matter - they're slaves, torn away from their families, put to work how he thinks they'll perform best for him."

Kiomo rose to his feet, a grave expression on his face. "The monster! The Gwinn-forsaken monster! I hope he spends eternity with the Hounds at his heels!"

Braeden gave a little jump at Kiomo's exclamation and dropped Andellyn's hands abruptly.

A priestess healer stuck her head in. "Ah, he's awake. How do you feel, Bard Braeden?"

"A little weaker than usual, and rather hungry," he admitted. "Generally, though, better than I've felt in... well, however long it's been."

She nodded. "I'll have dinner brought right in." To Kiomo and Andy she said, "He really shouldn't get too excited. You're welcome to visit him in the morning. If you'd like, I can get someone to take you to your rooms now."

Kiomo nodded. "We'd appreciate that." He clapped a hand to Braeden's shoulder. "Rest up, Brae. We'll see you in the morning."

Andy hesitated as Kiomo left the room. Following her teacher's example, she put a hand on Brae's shoulder. "Do try and get well quickly, Brae."

He smiled a little feebly. "I'll do my best."

"Well, goodnight."

"Goodnight, Andy." His eyes followed her through the door, and he sat back in his bed to wait for his dinner.

~~~

Finn and Kiomo were led down one hallway, and Andellyn down another. Andy was taken to a room which held three small beds that looked luxurious compared to what she had at the Academy but ascetic compared to what she'd seen in the inn she'd stayed in days before. There was also a pallet prepared on the floor. Her saddlebag had been set next to the pallet, but no sooner had Andy entered the room than the three priestesses she had dined with entered. The third priestess said immediately, "Oh, don't bother with the pallet - you can have my bed for as long as you're staying. By the way, we were never really introduced. I'm Tegwen. This is Carys and Lowri," she gestured to the first and second priestesses respectively.

"I'm Andellyn - Andy," she replied weakly. She liked the girls well enough, but she was rather intimidated by their garrulousness.

"We were just at evening prayer," explained Lowri.

Carys rolled her eyes and plopped onto her bed. "I almost fell asleep. I think High Priestess was even more boring and repetitive than usual."

Tegwen smirked at Carys and sat cross-legged on the pallet. "Just because you don't understand deep theological discussion doesn't mean the rest of us are so impaired."

"You've got to admit, Carys," insisted Lowri, taking a seat on her own bed, "It was different. Usually she just talks about Rhianna and how we should strive to be like her." She turned her focus on Andellyn, to explain. "High Priestess lectures at the beginning of every evening prayer, and then we spend the rest of the time meditating on what she's told us. Today she was talking about the importance of the worship of all three gods and of the cooperation of the three High Classes."

Tegwen nodded. "It was really very interesting. She talked about how strong each of the Classes is individually and how that strength grows exponentially when they combine forces."

Andy smiled politely, and, feeling awkward being the only one still standing, took a seat on the free bed. "I'd never thought about that."

A sly expression grew on Carys' face. "Have you thought about 'combining forces' with that Braeden?"

"No," she stated firmly.

"Why not?" asked Tegwen, genuinely curious.

Andy thought for a moment. "I don't know. It just never occurred to me that he might be anything more than a friend, that's all." Wouldn't they talk about anything else?

Lowri piped up wonderingly, "What's he like?"

"He's very kind. We were sitting watch together a few days ago, and he leant me his cloak. That's why he got sick in the first place. He's a very good singer, too. He's teaching me to sing. He's a fairly amazing person, really."

Carys blinked skeptically. "And you say you haven't even thought about courting him?"

Andy shrugged. "Well, no, I haven't."

"Right," said Lowri with a sarcastic laugh.

High Priestess Tiama's voice came from the hallway. "Lights out in fifteen minutes, ladies. Fifteen minutes till lights out."

Tegwen sighed. "We'd better change while we've light to do it by."

Lowri went to a small wooden chest in the corner and pulled out three white garments. She threw two of them to the other priestesses. Carys stripped from her day dress and cowl and threw them into a dirty clothes hamper before reaching for her nightdress and pulling it on.

"For the hundredth time, Carys," exclaimed Tegwen, "You could turn away from us when you change."

Carys rolled her eyes. "Prude."

"I'm afraid we don't have any changing cubicles, Andy," apologized Lowri. "We're rather used to changing in front of each other. Hope you don't mind."

"Oh," said Andy quietly. "I don't have a nightdress, so it makes no difference."

"What?" asked a shocked Carys. "When was the last time that dress was washed?"

Andy realized she hadn't thought about it. "A few weeks, I suppose."

Lowri grabbed another nightdress from the chest and threw it to Andellyn. "We'll have it washed tomorrow. Wear this tonight."

Andellyn took the act of charity a little awkwardly, but managed to offer her thanks before bashfully changing into the nightdress and tossing her brown dress into the dirty clothes hamper. She unbraided her hair for the first time since leaving the Academy, and slept on a small, comfortable bed.

~~~

Andellyn, dressed in the white dress of a priestess of Rhianna, as her dress was being washed, ate breakfast with Kiomo, Gerik, and Rhy in the temple mess. After breakfast they went to see Braeden, who swore he was well enough to travel. The healer in charge of him, however, said that they would have to take it slowly if they wanted him to travel that day, but if they would wait one more day that he'd be strong enough to travel at a fast pace, so they decided to wait the extra day. When the healer left, Braeden told Gerik of the dream he'd had, and offered Gerik an apology for disbelieving him.

Gerik gave a genuine smile. "Don't worry about it, Brother." He then addressed the whole group. "I ought to pay my respects at Brahn's Temple today. Who knows, there may even be a tournament there today that I could join."

"I will join you," announced Rhyfellur. "I am interested to see the holy tournaments I have heard about."

"May I go, too, Master Kiomo?" asked Andy eagerly. "I've never seen a Temple of Brahn before."

Braeden, assuming she wanted to go simply because Gerik was going, unconsciously assumed a glum expression. He would doubtlessly be confined to Rhianna's Temple, and wouldn't be able to keep an eye on her.

Kiomo frowned. "Not without an armed escort, you won't. I trust Rhyfellur will be able to look after herself, but you are entirely too vulnerable to be exposed to the priests and devotees of Brahn."

Andy assumed a puzzled expression. "But what's so bad about Brahn's priests and devotees? What goes on in His temples?"

Kiomo bit his lip for a moment. "I'll tell you when you're older," he decided.

Gerik sniggered, earning an annoyed look from Braeden.

"Anyway," continued the Adept, "We'll have a lesson after dinner, Andy. You can spend your morning as you like, provided you stay either here or at Gwinn's Temple."

"Well," said Gerik, "I think I'll be off to Brahn's, then."

"Yes," agreed Rhy, and they nodded farewell to the others before taking their leave.

The healer returned after they left, and Kiomo excused himself to spend the morning in perusal of the temple's library.

"So what exactly am I allowed to do?" Brae asked.

The healer smiled sympathetically. "You have your run of the temple, except for the public worship area - we wouldn't want you catching something from any sick person who might come in to pray - and the preistess' rooms, naturally. And you must be accompanied wherever you go."

"In other words," said Braeden, with a wry grin at Andy, "I'm a prisoner."

"I don't suppose there's much to do here besides pray," sympathized Andy.

An idea came to Braeden. He turned to the healer. "Does this temple by any chance have a Hall of Inspiration?"

The healer smiled proudly. "Why, yes it does. Just down the hallway a bit. I didn't even think about it. Would you like to see it?"

He grinned. "Very much." He turned to Andy hopefully. "Care to join me?"

She thought for half a moment. "I'd love to. There's not much else I can do, after all. But what's a Hall of Inspiration?"

"You'll see when we get there," he replied simply. He sat up and swung his legs over the bed's edge. The healer and Andy each took an arm and helped him up.

They walked down the hall until they reached the right door, with Braeden leaning on the healer for support. Finn trotted happily at Andy's heels.

The priestess eyed her patient and the girl for a moment. Rhianna's priestesses were famed for their gossip. This one had no sooner sat down to breakfast that morning before she'd heard rumors about the two that stood before her now. She smiled sweetly. "Andellyn, if you'll be sure to stay with him, I do have other work to be getting about. You don't mind do you?"

"Not at all," she said politely.

"If there is any problem, just take him back to the ward. And don't listen when he tells you he's fine. Now, Braeden, be a good boy and cooperate." She took his arm from where it was draped about her shoulders and gestured for Andy to take her place.

Andellyn balked for a very brief instant before resuming the position of human crutch. She hooked her own arm up behind his, placing her hand on his near shoulder. The healer opened the door and gestured them in. They hobbled through the doorway, the dog following obediently. There was a slight thud as the door closed behind them.

They stood there for a moment, Andellyn awed and Braeden flustered. Brae was fighting to keep from giving himself away. It felt so right to have his arm around her shoulders. He had to let go of her. He disentangled himself to hover near the wall and looked at the floor. "I feel like I'm in a three-legged race," he said, trying to laugh it off.

Andy blinked, coming out of a trance. "What? What's a three-legged race?"

He laughed. "My poor, poor, Academy-hindered friend. A three-legged race is a competition held usually among children. They split into pairs, and each child in a pair has one of their legs tied to the leg of the other child, and they see which pair can run a certain distance the fastest."

Andy thought for a moment. "Our legs aren't tied together. And we're not racing."

Braeden put a hand to his forehead and gave a small laugh at his own failure to explain. "The trick to a three-legged race is to put an arm around the other person's shoulder. It makes it easier to move the legs in unison."

"Oh," remarked Andellyn. "I understand. It sounds amusing."

"It is, somewhat. Anyway, I'm fine, really. You don't have to help me walk."

She smirked one of her smirks. "Well, if you're sure." She turned her attention back to the Hall of Inspiration, and hurried to the wall on her left. "Come here, Brae, you've got to look at this!"

Halls of Inspiration were found generally in larger temples to any of the three gods. They were filled with various artworks depicting the deities, donated by artists or philanthropists who bought them from the artists for the temples. Leandin, although not blessed with an incredibly large Hall of Inspiration, was honored to have a collection of high quality.

When she didn't hear the Bard behind her in the moment it should have taken him to stride over, she turned, just in time to run to him and prevent him from getting better aquainted with the floor. Once he was stably standing once more - once again using Andy as a human crutch, and with a well-meaning Finn leaning against his opposite leg for extra support - she smirked at him again. "She was right about not believing you, wasn't she?"

He blushed a bit, and not entirely because he'd been caught telling an untruth. He cleared his throat rather loudly. "Yes, well... yes, that's fairly accurate." He gave her a would-be innocent look not unlike that of a youth caught in the act of taking a cookie unbidden from a cooling rack.

"Now Brae, you're not ashamed of being sick, are you?" They walked back to the wall and the tapestry Andy had been looking at. It showed Rhianna lovingly cradling a newborn while Brahn's sword claimed the life of its mother and Gwinn stood by preparing to pronounce judgment on the woman's soul.

"It's not that. But you've done so much for me already." He looked down at her. "I don't remember much from the fever, but I remember you being there. Thanks."

She looked back at him, but rather than say that it had been no trouble at all, she blinked, and looked him up and down, only to realize that he, too, was out of his normal garb and was instead in the alabaster robe of a priest of Rhianna. After a moment, she snorted. "You look like a priest, Brae." They stepped on to the next work, a painting.

He shot her a teasing frown. "And you look like a priestess." Or a bride, he added mentally, taking notice of the wedding scene portrayed in the oil paints on the canvas. He became suddenly aware of how close to her he was. He tried not to lean on her so much, but found the steady weight of Finn against his leg preventing him. It occurred to him how large Finn had gotten already, though not yet quite full grown. He shot the dog an accusing look. "Would you get off me, already?"

Finn moved away, whining an apology.

Andy, taking in the situation (to a degree), laughed lightly. "He only meant to help you, Brae."

He looked her in the eye, intending to tell her that helping was the last thing the dog was doing, but found he couldn't. He sighed in submission and turned his face back to Finn. "Oh, all right. Thank you for the help, but I assure you, it is not necessary." He managed a slight bow - though he half-regretted it, for he needed extra support from Andellyn to return upright. Finn came over and licked his hand in a timid, conciliatory way. Braeden smiled fondly at the dog as he muttered, "You rascal of a mutt."

They continued through the hall, Finn a respectful two paces behind, admiring the pieces it contained. By taking their time to admire each work, they managed to spend the whole morning in the hall. They finally reached the last piece. It was neither very eye-catching, nor at first glance very impressive. It was a woodcut, little more than a foot square. It showed Rhianna, Brahn, and Gwinn, each god's hands firmly clasped by the other two, looking down on a Bard, a Knight, and an Adept (harp, sword, and staff wielded) who seemed to be united against a foe that was just out of the picture. It was simple, but at the same time, unspeakably beautiful. They stood there for a long time, neither moving nor speaking. Finally, Andy cocked her head to one side. It met Braeden's shoulder, causing both to startle.

He smiled just slightly, swallowed, and said, "I suppose we should go, then."

His grey eyes were looking into her green ones rather intensely. She looked away, and when she spoke, it was very quickly. "Yes. They're probably serving dinner by now."

They left through the door by which they had entered, and made their way to the dining hall, where a number of priestesses already sat at their midday meal. As they walked to the counter where the meals were served, all eyes were on them, and some of the younger women were stifling giggles. When the serving priestesses saw their predicament, one of them carried two trays to the nearest table for them. Andellyn helped Brae sit before seating herself and eating the chicken stew and coarse bread.

She heard someone on the opposite side of the table clear her throat, and looked up to find Carys, Lowri, and Tegwen smiling at her.

Lowri turned to the bard. "So this is our invalid. Andy's told us so much about you, Bard Braeden."

Brae looked curiously at Andellyn, a glint of hope in his eyes. "That so, Andy?"

She spared Lowri a smirk before looking pointedly at her stew. "They asked. I answered."

Carys rolled her eyes, but it was Tegwen who spoke. "Nevertheless, she spoke very highly of you. It's so nice to finally meet you."

Before anything more could be said, Kiomo joined them, taking a seat next to Braeden. "Hello. How did you two while away the morning?"

"Hall of Inspiration," supplied Brae.

Carys grinned slyly. "And were you inspired, Bard Braeden?"

Andellyn, not sure what Carys meant, but sure that it wasn't something she'd want Brae or Kiomo to dwell on, answered quickly. "It was quite fascinating. The artwork was beautiful."

"High Priestess doesn't like art much," replied Lowri. "She says it distracts people from the beauty all around them, that people who look at a beautiful painting consequently fail to see how beautiful the people around them truly are. Would you say that's true, Bard Braeden?"

He was unable to deny himself a brief glance at Andy before attempting to answer. "Well, I... " Unable to think of an answer that he could provide without causing himself undue amounts of embarrassment, Braeden trailed off pitifully.

Fortunately, Andellyn covered for him through her own embarrassment. "I've never seen much art before. I'm inclined to think it enhances one's ability to see beauty in the world. I didn't fully appreciate the radiance of a tree before I saw one particular painting in the Hall."

"Well, anyway," put in Kiomo, wishing to spare his young friends from the clutches of the priestesses, "we must get to work this afternoon, Andy. I think we'll go to Gwinn's. They'll have training tools that can help you with control. Brae, I'd invite you along, but I don't think the healers would have it."

He nodded, a knowing expression on his face.

"You won't be too lonely," argued Andy. "Finn shall stay with you. That is, if he's willing." Her eyes twinkled with concealed mirth as she teased him. "He may not be after the way you scolded him this morning."

"Yes, well it's not my fault that his brand of help involves pushing against me until I reach the brink of falling over." His sardonic expression boldly faced off against her chiding one, and for a brief moment, they were entirely oblivious to the three eagerly onlooking priestesses and the mildly amused old Adept.

They finished eating and rose. "I have to fetch my staff from the cell I stayed in last night," said Kiomo. "Andy, if you'll meet me in the public worship room, I'll be there in a minute."

"I'll walk you there," offered Braeden as Kiomo left. "It's not far from the ward."

Andy reassumed her role as a crutch. The priestesses seemed about to follow, but Braeden shot them a look, and they giggled themselves through a different door.

Andy and Brae hobbled through the halls at first in an awkward silence. After a moment, Andy cleared her throat. "About Carys and Lowri and Tegwen - I don't know where they get their ideas, honestly. I gave them no reason to believe... well, anything. About you. And me. Us."

"I hadn't thought you had," he responded all too quickly. "I mean, Rhianna's priestesses - they're known to create and circulate rumors. It's just what they do."

"Oh," she said. "Yes, well - " she cleared her throat again - "I'm glad we've got that cleared up.

"Yes," he agreed.

They reached the door that led to the public worship room, and Braeden was allowed to go no further. They stood there in silence for a moment.

"Um," said Andellyn. "Should I walk you back to the ward?"

"Oh, no," protested Braeden. "Really, I think I can walk on my own now." To prove the value of his words, he let go of her - hard as it was to do so - and took a couple of slow, wobbly steps away from her, hand trailing the wall. He turned, took a step back, then stumbled. She caught him before he could fall. Or rather, he caught her, and was able to keep himself from falling. Either way, the result was a highly awkward accidental embrace.

It took them both a second to realize that he was no longer falling, and another second for them to disentangle themselves enough to look at each other. Once they achieved that however, it took only an immeasurably small instant for both of them to retract their arms.

Andy didn't see Brae's crimson face because she was too busy examining the flagstones that made up the floor. "Are you sure you'll be able to make it back on your own?"

He wanted to run away, but knew his legs wouldn't carry him at such a pace. "I can walk by myself - I just tripped." He cleared his throat. "Of course, I might trip again. Maybe you should come with me."

She looked up, intending a brief glance, but she found her eyes fixed on his face. "Yes, perhaps I should."

He nodded, and turned for the ward. He kept an arm out to the wall, and Andellyn walked on his other side, ready to catch him should he fall again. It didn't take them long to get to the ward. Once Braeden was safely back in bed and Finn was sprawled across his legs to make sure he wouldn't try to sneak away, Andy turned for the door. He caught her by the hand before she could go.

"What is it Brae? Do you need something before I go?"

He opened his mouth to answer. Closed it. Opened it again. "No. Just. I don't know. Must have slipped my mind."

She smiled a little and turned for the door again. "I'll see you later Brae."

Chapter 9

Andellyn walked back to the public worship room in a slight haze. It was the first time she'd been alone in far too long. It wasn't that she didn't like spending time with Brae - far from it - but she needed time to think about things, and she simply hadn't had it since she'd first entered the temple.

She had much to think about. Her hand was tingling with warmth where her friend had caught and held it, and that in itself was puzzling. An image popped into her mind - Carys, Lowri, and Tegwen. Andy could imagine what they might say in the situation. And that brought her to another thing - or perhaps just back to the same thing - it was much too confusing anyway. Braeden.

She had never in her wildest dreams thought of him as even having potential to be anything more than her friend. Even since her interest in Gerik had begun to wane, Braeden had not taken over where the Knight had left off.

And yet, the suggestions of her priestess friends led her to wonder. She had said herself only the night before, he was a fairly amazing person. And the more she reflected on this, the truer it seemed. But what had that to do with her affections? She was utterly uncertain of how to go about thinking rationally about this. All she knew was rational thought, after all - they didn't teach emotion and how to interpret it at the Academy. Perhaps she ought to ask Rhy.

Well, Rhy wasn't there, and she needed to be able to appease herself with some kind of answer. She sifted through her memories of Braeden, from the day they met. She remembered quite well the first word she heard him say - "No." It was rather amusing that he'd known what Gerik was there for. He'd given her the Black Sun she wore - although no one had bothered to explain the nuances of it, she knew it was magical protection, and she was sure she'd read about it somewhere. He'd played his harp for her birthday. He'd listened to her uncertain feelings for Gerik, and had put up with her baseless defenses of the Knight. He'd warned her of the dangers of liberal consumption of alcohol, and watched her ignore that warning. And presumably had taken care of her afterwards, although she hadn't bothered to get the full story. And he had leant her his cloak when it was cold and raining and she was freezing and soaked, and because of that, he now had trouble walking by himself and she was hale and whole.

Kiomo was examining the carvings on the walls of the public worship room when she entered. She saw his brows knit when he saw her. "What's happened to you?"

"Huh?" she replied articulately.

"Well, for one thing, I got here before you, and you were the one who was supposed to come directly here. For another, you're clutching your hand as if you fear it'll fall off if you don't. And as if all this weren't enough, you're smiling like Miri does when I visit her after being away for months."

Was there something in his eyes that suspected he knew the answers to his own questions? She thought for a moment there was, but then, how could he? She looked down, and realized she was indeed holding for dear life onto the hand Brae had caught. She dropped it and let both hands fall to their respective sides where they wouldn't be able to get at each other. "I hadn't realized I was doing that. Or smiling, either. Was I really smiling like Miri?"

He smiled, relishing the thought of the woman. "Yes. Now, hurry, we've got one afternoon free before we have to hit the road again, and I intend to milk it for all it's worth."

They walked quickly out into the street, under the cloudy sky, and into the granite temple next door. "As for being late," she told him as they walked, "you can blame Brae. He insisted on walking me to the public room, and then needed my help back to the ward." Her face felt hot in spite of the cool breeze. Surely she wasn't blushing?

"How is Brae today? I didn't get a chance to ask how he was coming along."

They entered the temple, and Kiomo led the girl through a side door.

"Oh, he is doing better. He walked by himself from the public room all the way to the ward. I think some good food and some more rest will do him good. He'll be able to ride tomorrow without any trouble."

A grey-robed priest walked past, and Kiomo stopped him for directions to a training room before continuing on.

"Well, that's certainly good to hear." They reached the door the priest had instructed them to, and entered. The walls were lined with shelves, and the shelves held books, among other things. There was one table that filled up much of one side of the room, and an open area. A middle-aged woman in greys leaned upon a heavy wooden staff as she looked over the shoulder of a girl not much older than Andy who wore brown and was studying a book at the table.

Kiomo cleared his throat to make their presence known, and the two looked up at them. The girl's jaw dropped in shock as recognition hit her, but the woman merely smiled when she saw Kiomo. They both hurried over to the door and bowed, and Kiomo and Andellyn bowed in response. Then the woman spoke.

"Master Kiomo. I never dreamed I'd run into you, here of all places. It really is an honor, sir. My name is Velli, and this is my Prentice Kierka."

Kiomo smiled cordially. "It's a pleasure to meet the both of you. Allow me to present my Prentice Andellyn." Apparently, neither Velli nor Kierka had even noticed her presence, but Velli nodded pleasantly, and Kierka smiled sweetly. "We were just stopping in to squeeze in some serious training while we're on the road."

"Of course," said Velli, still quite in awe of the famous Adept. "So were we. Are you staying here at the temple?"

"Rhianna's, actually," he replied. "A traveling companion of ours took fever, and we were obliged to stop for a bit. We'll be leaving early tomorrow, though."

"Where are you headed?"

"North, to Derne."

Velli's smiled broadened, and Andy wondered if there were any teeth in the woman's mouth that weren't fully visible. The woman looked at her Prentice, and both seemed to feel they'd won a prize of some sort. "Why, that's where we were going! Do you think we might travel with you, Master Kiomo?"

Andy was sure the smile on her master's face was able to stay only through years of practice as he said, "Well, it isn't just the two of us, and it would have to be cleared with the Knight who thinks he's in charge... Anyway, right now we really need to do some work. Our sick companion has kept us so busy the last several days that we haven't had the chance to train. I'm sure you probably want to get back to work, too."

Kierka's expression showed that she was only too glad for the distraction, but Velli agreed if only out of reverence, and they went back to the book at the table.

"Do you get recognized often?" Andy asked Kiomo, speaking low enough so as not to be heard across the room.

"Often enough," he said. "I try to keep a low profile, but it doesn't always work." He searched the shelves for the object he was looking for. He picked up an odd-looking contraption and brought it over. It was a wooden box with a hole in one side and a foot-long glass tube attached to another. In the tube was a wooden ball. He placed the box in air in front of Andellyn, and when he withdrew his hands, it stayed. "This," he said, "was made for people just like you, Andy. Put your hand through the hole." She did so. "Now, levitate the ball."

She did. It flew to the top of the tube in a blur, and searing pain shot through the girl's trapped hand. The ball dropped to the tube's bottom.

"Don't shoot the thing," Kiomo instructed. "Use just enough power. If you keep it in the middle of the tube, your hand will be fine. Higher than that, and it hurts. The higher the ball, the more the pain."

She nodded, setting herself to the task, and tried again, with similar results. It took her five or six tries to keep the ball from jumping to the top of the tube. It took another dozen or so after that to get it more or less in the middle. After she was able to do this several times, Kiomo nodded approval. "Much better. Now, take your hand out and put it away. And don't even think about carrying it, Andy."

She removed her hand, which required some magical force. Though improved, her control was still less than enviable, and her hand came back to her rather forcefully. Then she floated the contraption back to its shelf. She made herself go slowly and carefully, and it only thudded slightly when she magically set it down.

Kiomo was about to take another training tool from a shelf when raised voices were heard from the hallway. There was much general shouting, and one cry claimed that Gwinn had come to judge Creddarn for once and for all.

Kiomo reached the door first, followed closely by Andy, with Velli and Kierka on her tail. A crisp, clear bark was heard, and a four-legged white form sped past them down the hall, priests and priestesses running before and behind it. The two Adepts and their Prentices took up the chase. They ran after the creature all the way to the temple's mess hall, where it jumped onto a table and began to gobble up food and wag its tail.

People screamed and ran, and a few fell to their knees in reverence. The creature before them was - could only be - one of Gwinn's hounds. It's coat was the color of bone, and it's nose and ears of blood. What living dog had such coloring?

Two people in the room were not taken in by the beast, however. Andy and Kiomo looked at each other. The dog's bark had been familiar, too familiar, even though the coloring was different. Andy nodded as if Kiomo had asked her a question, and stepped tentatively towards the dog. She had to get Finn to see her and calm down. His name or a whistle would only get him to run again - he was in a running mood. He was probably restless from lack of travel. She called out very carefully with her Talent. The dog turned its head to her and cocked it to one side. She took a step closer.

She had no doubt now that it was Finn. The nose and ears may have been red, but the eyes were still brown. She put a calming spell on him, and he lay down on the table and dropped into a nap. She came up to him and saw the source of his discoloration. He was coated in flour paste, and had apparently dipped his nose into something made from red berries, and gotten his ears in it, too. She wasn't sure whether to laugh or to scold him. She used the sleeve of her white robe to clean off the flour from his face, which woke him back up. He licked his nose, removing a good portion of the berry substance, and then proceeded to lick Andy penitently.

She finished cleaning his face, revealing the mottled brown, black, and grey fur and muttered, "You'd better be sorry, Finn." She gave him a good scratching behind the ears and led him off the table and back to Kiomo. The general majority of the people in the mess hall - fortunately a small number anyway, given that it was the middle of the afternoon - had gone back about their business. She offered Kiomo a smirk. "Finn needs a bath. And I suspect some cooks in Rhianna's temple need an apology."

Kiomo was chuckling heartily, and Velli made a bold attempt at joining him in laughter, although the humor of the situation was generally lost on her. Kierka had dropped to one knee and was petting the rascal mutt. "Is this your dog?" she asked Andy.

"Yes," she said. "Unfortunately." This earned her a whine and a pleading canine stare. "You were supposed to stay with Brae," she reprimanded.

Kiomo stopped laughing and let out a small sigh. "I suppose I've got some apologies to make here. So much for a useful afternoon. Andy, why don't you take Finn back to Rhianna's and get him clean. And apologize to whomever he's offended."

"Will we see you tomorrow?" Velli asked eagerly.

Kiomo pasted on a smile and said politely, "I can't say. Perhaps."

~~~

One disastrous bath and many apologies later, Andellyn sat down to supper, exhausted. Kiomo was already there, and she slumped onto the bench beside him. Finn, coat gleaming, sat primly down on the floor under the table just between the two, in perfect position to receive their unwanted scraps.

"Do you have any idea how hard it is to bathe a dog?" asked Andy.

"Yes, actually," replied her master. "I don't envy you."

Gerik and Rhyfellur sat down across from them.

"How's Brae?" the Knight asked immediately.

"Sleeping," answered Kiomo. "He spent the morning up and about the temple, but this afternoon he's been resting up. He'll probably eat in the ward. What did you two do today?"

"There was a tournament at Brahn's temple," said Rhy. "Gerik took second place in the sword combat."

Congratulations were offered between bites. "Oh, it's nothing to be proud of," argued Gerik, who was quite disappointed that he hadn't been able to take first while Rhy was watching, and was still too destitute to be arrogant. "What did you two do?"

"I spent the morning in the Hall of Inspiration with Brae," said Andy, suppressing anything that so much as smelled like a blush.

"I was in the library here all morning," added Kiomo. "And after dinner, we went over to Gwinn's to train. Unfortunately, there was another Adept there with her Prentice, and they were rather excited to see us. And they're traveling to Derne tomorrow, too, isn't that lovely?" His voice dripped sarcasm.

~~~

Andellyn went to breakfast the next morning cleaner than she'd been in some time. She was back in her brown dress, and her red hair was once again bound in two braided buns. She took a bowl of steaming oatmeal and sat down next to Kiomo and opposite Rhyfellur and Gerik. Not long after she took a seat, Braeden strode into the mess hall on his own two feet. After a moment, he was setting his bowl of oatmeal next to Andy's and seating himself on the bench.

"Well," said Gerik pleasantly. "Back in action, I see. How're you feeling?"

"Wonderful," said the Bard, grinning. "Not quite back to full strength, but some fresh air and a good long ride will cure me of that."

"Good to hear it," replied the Knight. "Today we ride to Derne."

"Don't remind me," moped Kiomo, still in a bad mood from the night before. "If we meet those two on the road, I'll ride Hipono off the nearest cliff."

"Who?" asked a confused Braeden.

Andy supplied the answer. "We met an Adept and Prentice in Gwinn's Temple the other day. They're also headed to Derne today."

"Anyway," said Gerik. "We'll finally be back to the open road - one step closer to Gorden each day. Not much further to the Arswais, and then things will really get interesting."

Brae swallowed a mouthful of oatmeal. "If by 'interesting' you mean 'life-threatening and generally insane,' then those are my sentiments exactly."

~~~

"They are funny creatures," said Rhy to Andellyn as they rode out of Leandin. "The males, I mean. See how excited they are, even old Kiomo is like a child. They are like dogs, eagerly returning to the hunt, so eager that they frolic."

Andy looked askance at Rhy. The men, riding in front of them, were laughing and joking, but she wouldn't go so far as to say they were frolicking. She didn't think Kiomo was capable of frolicking.

Apparently Rhy caught Andy's skeptical glance. "I tell you again, Little Fox, they have the minds of children. Sometimes I think they have the minds of animals. Anyway, I feel I ought to let you know that I have determined to ask Gerik to be my Mate, and I have reason to believe he will accept. I hope you will not be overly disappointed."

Andy shook her head, smiling. "Oh, I'm not dissipated at all. Gerik's not for me, and I'm not sure why I ever thought he was."

Rhy smiled slyly. "Would I be right in thinking, Little Fox, that there is another male in your sights?"

Andy averted her eyes for a moment. "I'm not sure. I think so. I really do think so."

Rhy shook her head. "I'll never know what you see in the Harper."

"Bard," Andy corrected. "He's a Ba - wait a moment. How did you know?"

Rhyfellur laughed. "Who else would it be? Anyway, I'll never know what you see in him, but happy hunting to you."

They weren't a mile out of Leandin before they heard shouts and hurried hoofbeats behind them. They halted to see what was going on. Velli and Kierka rode swiftly up to them.

"Oh, Master Kiomo, I'm so glad we managed to catch up to you," exclaimed Velli, her grey-brown hair a mess from the chase.

Kiomo wore another pasted-on smile. "Hello. Allow me to introduce you to Sir Gerik, Bard Braeden, and the Benywa Rhyfellur. Everyone, this is Master Velli and her Prentice... I'm sorry, what was the name?"

"Kierka," murmured the girl, and Kiomo repeated it. Andy, however, when Kierka had spoken, noticed the girl's fixation on a certain Bard. She had the sudden urge to knock the girl off her horse, but kept her composure.

Apparently, while she was fuming, a command decision had been made that, yes, Velli and Kierka could travel with them. Andy found herself riding next to Kierka, with Kiomo and Velli in front of them, and the Knight, Bard, and Benywa in front of the Adepts.

Andy smiled and nodded, and automatically replied to questions while Kierka rambled on about something or other. She supposed Kierka was pretty. Her face was filled with large blue-green eyes edged by long eyelashes and was framed with short, honey-blonde curls. She was just a little taller than Andy herself, and her willowy form gave her a more elegant air. She, too, wore a brown dress instead of robes, but hers was of a finer fabric and a more flattering cut.

Anyway, she had a slightly nasal voice. That was something, at any rate.

"I've been with Master Velli for almost a year. What about you, Andellyn?"

"Three weeks."

"How old are you? I'll be twenty in a few months."

"Eighteen."

"Braeden's not, well, attached to anyone, is he?"

That snapped Andy back into full awareness. She was tempted to lie. Very tempted. But any lie she said could easily be proven wrong before they parted ways with Velli and Kierka. "No, he's not." The smile that spread across the other girl's face nauseated Andellyn, and she thought fast. She remembered a tactic that she'd tried to use on Rhy. Kierka didn't seem nearly as smart as Rhy. "What about Gerik? Don't you think he's handsome?"

Kierka shrugged. "He is, I'll give you that, but so is Braeden. And Braeden's a Bard." She gasped as an idea hit her. "Do you think he'd sing for me if I asked him to?"

"I don't know," she answered coolly.

It was at that moment that Brae, who had circled back, pulled his bay next to Andy. She tried in vain to not smile like a fool, but he was smiling, too, so at least she didn't look out of place.

"Just thought I'd see how you were doing," he said.

"It ought to be the other way around," Andy chided. "How are you holding up?"

"Oh, I'm fine. A little tired maybe, but better than I've been. The fresh air's done me good. And you?"

"I'm doing just fine."

There was half a moment's silence, and Andy thought Brae was going to ride back to the front of the procession, when a slightly nasal voice shattered the air. "Bard Braeden, would you sing for me?" The words came out very quickly, and Andy rather thought Kierka had spent the whole time she'd been talking with Brae mustering the courage to ask.

Braeden shook his head. "Please, just Braeden. Or Brae. And I'm sorry, but I'm not quite feeling up to singing. I've been sick, and this is my first day back among the living."

"That's too bad," said Kierka, speaking more loudly and with a different tone entirely as she began to build up courage. "I love music, you know. I sing a little, myself." She was leaning slightly across Andy to put herself closer to Brae. "Maybe sometime the two of us could sing together."

Brae smiled politely. "I think we're parting ways tomorrow, and I really don't think I'd be up to it before then. There might be a musician at the inn tonight."

Kierka seized upon this, and upon Andy's reins. She forced Andellyn back and edged her mare over to Brae, leaving the other girl behind them just a bit. "A musician at the inn? That would be wonderful. I love to dance, too."

Andy fought to control herself, especially her magic, which was champing at the bit to lash out at Kierka. Her first instinct was to bring Ebony up on Brae's other side, but she decided against it. She had her dignity. She wouldn't stoop to Kierka's level, and she refused to play the other girl's game. Instead she came up on Kierka's free side.

Had Andy deigned to look over at Braeden, she might've seen that his polite smile was now as fixed as Kiomo's was when talking to Velli. She did, however, hear his reply to Kierka. "Well, I'm sure there will be plenty of men in the inn who would love to dance with you. If you'll excuse me, I think I'm needed up front." Again, had Andy looked, she would have seen Brae trying to catch her eye, but she was too stubborn.

Chapter 10

Rhyfellur sat in a rickety wooden chair in the corner of Derne's one inn. Kiomo had hurried upstairs some time before clutching a letter that had waited for them at the inn, and when it became clear to Velli that she wouldn't be able to squeeze any more wisdom or advice out of him, she adjourned as well. So now Rhy sat to the left of Gerik who was to the left of Andy who was to the left of Braeden who was to the left of Kierka who was to the left of Rhy. The Little Fox was looking troubled and a little bored. Brae was looking at Andy. Kierka was looking at Brae. Gerik was, of course, looking at Rhy herself, which was only right.

"Gerik," ordered Rhyfellur. "Get us drinks. I want some ale."

Andy went pale and looked as if she would be sick. "I'm not thirsty!"

Braeden casually declined, and Kierka, predictably enough, followed suit.

"One ale and one mead, then," said Gerik as he stood and headed for the bar.

Andellyn stood up, and, without looking at anyone in particular, said, "I need some fresh air. I think I'll walk around the town a bit."

Braeden watched her as she left, took a look back at Kierka and Rhy, and quickly stood up. "I think I'll go, too." He cleared his throat. "She shouldn't be out alone at night, after all."

Kierka opened her mouth to speak, but Rhy jammed her heel into the girl's foot, and nothing intelligible came out. Brae was out the door before Kierka could do a thing.

Rhy smiled as sweetly as a warrior can smile. "I would like to tell you an old Benywa saying. It goes, 'you can lead a male to water, but you can't make him drink.'" She paused to let the girl consider this. "He's not drinking, Kierka. And I don't think you understand the proper etiquette of Mate-hunting. If two women desire the same male, and one of them follows him somewhere, it is the other woman's right to go as well. But if the man follows one of the women somewhere, the other woman is expected to respect that and accept her defeat."

~~~

Andy was maybe a dozen paces out of the inn when she heard a familiar voice call her name. She turned and waited for Brae to catch up to her. When he did, she continued walking, and he matched her stride.

"Why did you leave?" he asked, his voice holding a mixture of curiosity, concern, and maybe a hint of anger. Or maybe that was pain. She wasn't sure.

"I needed some fresh air." She wasn't looking him in the eye, and she was sure he'd notice. He always noticed the little things like that. "I wanted to stretch my legs. They're sore from being back in the saddle after a day out of it. Speaking of which, you ought to be back in that inn, upstairs, and in bed. Aren't you exhausted?"

"Yes," he said honestly. His tone suggested that he openly blamed her for his being up and about while in such a state. "So, really, why did you leave? And look at me this time."

Gwinn-forsaken Bard! She looked at him. She almost started talking. She looked away.

With an exasperated sigh, he reached over and turned her face back toward him. "Spill it, Prentice."

She smirked her finest and threw in a roll of the eyes for good measure. "I wasn't pleased with the disgusting display of affection, if you must know. I came out here in an attempt to maintain possession of my supper."

He let go of her and looked suddenly rather downcast. He couldn't possibly have enjoyed Kierka's company, could he? He wasn't speaking. She ought to say something.

"When do you think you can teach me another song?"

He was smiling a little bit now. That was progress. "Not tonight. Sometime soon. What kind of song would you like to learn?"

She blinked. "I hadn't thought about it. It doesn't make too much difference, because I fully intend to make you teach me every song you know."

He was laughing now. "That would take a lifetime, Andy! A Bard is constantly learning - not to mention writing - new songs."

"Well, a lifetime's what we've got, isn't it? Perfect. Do you have a favorite song? I'd like to learn it next, if you do. Hang on; did you say you write songs?"

"I have many favorites," he answered, "'Sunlit Valley' being among them. And, yes, I do write songs, but you don't want to hear them."

"Yes, I do!" she corrected emphatically. "Very much. Can I learn one of your songs next?"

They were nearing the end of the road, so they turned to walk back down it. "No. Maybe sometime you can hear one, but no learning them. Not yet, anyway. Not as long as I can avoid it."

"How many have you written?" She was very excited about the subject now.

"Oh, I don't know," he said, rubbing his neck and looking at his feet. "Maybe a dozen. Not many, really."

"Brae," she said knowingly. "How many? And look at me this time."

He did, although she suspected it was the words she had stolen from him that had made him turn. He'd been caught in his own game. "Twenty-six. And I'm working on number twenty-seven."

She smiled. "There's my honest Bard. Sometime when you're feeling better, I want to hear all twenty-six. And when it's done, I want to be the first to hear twenty-seven."

He was smiling, but he shook his head. "Not going to happen, Andy."

"Why not?" she demanded.

"For one thing, twenty-seven is proving to be quite hard in the writing. And for another, I'm entirely too bashful."

"Are we friends or are we not, Brae?" she asked, but she was laughing lightly while she said it. "Come now, certainly you can play your songs for me sometime."

"Andy, once you told me Gerik was fearless. I have a confession to make: I'm quite the opposite. I should wear a sign that says 'Coward.' I value your opinion entirely too much to be able to perform competently in front of you, and I must spare myself the embarrassment."

She laughed.

"What?" he asked. "What's so funny about that?"

"Say what you like," she answered smugly. "I don't believe a word of it."

They reached the inn and decided to return into it. Kierka had gone to sleep, apparently, and Rhy and Gerik sat drinking and talking at the table. Andy and Brae decided to go up and see what Miri had to say in her letter.

~~~

Brae and Andy sat cross-legged on the floor while Kiomo read the letter to them.

"'To my'..." he trailed off, and amended the greeting. "Yes, well, Kiomo. 'I am relieved to hear that all is well, and I hope it still is when you receive this. Give my love to the boys and to Andy. I suppose if you're up by Derne you won't be headed this way anytime soon. I look forward to seeing you all on your return.'" Brae could see Kiomo's eyes scan the parchment as he skipped the bulk of the letter. "'Write back soon, or I'll likely die of worry. Make sure Gerik and Brae behave themselves, and do try and get Andy to be more open. She's a sweet girl, but too shy for her own good. And see if you can find out if either of the boys has a sweetheart they're not telling me about. If they do, I want to meet the girls. I'll see Gerik and Brae settled down yet!'" Kiomo set down the parchment, and smiled at them, eyes laughing. Brae didn't think it was all that amusing.

Andy was smirking skeptically at the old man. "In that much parchment, that's all she said?"

Now Brae smiled. "No, that's just all she said that concerns us. And his return letter will be at least as long and have about as much to say about us."

"Oh," said Andy, as understanding washed over her.

Kiomo offered a grimace. "Anyway, I must do as ordered. Any sweethearts you're hiding from us, Brae?"

Brae narrowed his gaze to glare at the Adept. He certainly couldn't bring himself to look at Andy. "I'm afraid not. Sorry to disappoint, but no. It's looking like I'm going to follow the majority of Creddarn's Bards into celibacy."

"Miri's heart will be broken. She's not likely to see any legitimate children come from Gerik, and I'm afraid she's rested all her hopes on you." He turned his eyes on his Prentice, and chuckled. "And Andy, do try and be more open, won't you? Otherwise, you won't make any friends." He let himself laugh for a moment. "Don't worry; I'll be sure to tell her how much you've progressed."

Andy smiled, stood, and stretched. "Well, I'd better get to bed." She yawned. "I'm exhausted."

Brae stood as well. "I'll walk you to your room."

She laughed pleasantly. "It's just next door, Brae. And you need your rest more than I do."

She did have a point, and he was tired to his bones. "All right," he conceded. "If anyone troubles you between here and next door, just scream. Loudly, so it'll wake me up, as I'm liable to drop off before then."

Her eyes laughed. "Goodnight Brae."

"Goodnight," he murmured.

She turned to Kiomo. "Goodnight. Oh, and do you think I might write my own letter to Miri to be sent with yours?"

"Sure, but you'll have to have it ready by breakfast tomorrow. Goodnight Andy."

Braeden looked after her anxiously as she left. "She will be all right from here to next door, won't she, Kiomo?"

The Adept laughed openly. "She'll be fine. How was your evening?"

He couldn't help but smile a little. "I enjoyed it. We went for a walk, Andy and I." He took a deep breath and let it out in what was half a sigh and half a laugh. "When I'm with her, by Rhianna, it's so easy to enjoy myself. I forget about this whole mess. If I'm worried or angry, it just melts away. Unless, of course, I'm worried about her. I wonder how I ever made it through a day before I knew her."

Kiomo smiled warmly. "I know the feeling. Why did you go on a walk in the first place? Weren't you tired?"

"I was. Very much so. But she wanted to get out of the inn, and I couldn't let her go alone." He frowned a bit. "Apparently she was upset about Rhy and Gerik."

Brae thought he saw a hint of confusion in Kiomo's face for a brief moment, but surely that was just his imagination. "You didn't really mean that bit about celibacy, did you?"

Brae smiled sadly at the old man. "If no one worth marrying will have me, what else am I to do?"

"Brae," said Kiomo in his fatherly tone, "Take it from a man who's lived and learned. Do something. There's nothing glorious or righteous in spending your life pining over a woman. I can tell you, it's a sad, sorry business. At least try to win her over. Don't stand by and watch now and then regret later."

"I'm too afraid," admitted the Bard. "And I'm too proud to risk the failure. I won't deny it. I wish I wasn't so arrogant, but I am. I hate admitting it. I hate that I'm proud. But Rhianna help me, Kiomo, no sooner do I steel myself to tell the girl how I feel when a part of me says, 'Hang on, Brae. What happens when she finds out and tells you the feeling is far from mutual?'"

"You don't know that it is, Brae," insisted Kiomo.

He swallowed. "But I do! She won't even look at me with Gerik around."

Kiomo seemed to want to say something, but must have decided against it. "You need your rest, Brae, my boy. Think about what I've said. I'm bad off enough. I don't want to see you even worse when you're my age."

"Goodnight, Kiomo."

~~~

"Here's my letter for Miri," said Andy as she approached the table where Brae, Kiomo, and Gerik were seated. She handed a small, folded piece of parchment to Kiomo and took a seat next to Braeden. As she began to eat the breakfast that was waiting for her, she asked, "How are you feeling today, Brae?"

He looked up from his meal and smiled. "Good morning, Andy. I'm doing fine. A little tired, maybe, but I'll get back into the rhythm of hard traveling soon. How are you doing?"

She didn't answer his question. "I'm sorry, Brae. If I hadn't gone for that walk -”

He cut her off, refusing to let her blame herself. "Then I'd still be tired from the day's ride. And anyway, I went with you of my own volition, didn't I?"

"I suppose so," she admitted.

There was a nasal voice behind them, and Brae turned to see who it was.

"Good morning!" exclaimed Kierka, Velli trailing behind her. Brae became grateful that both seats next to himself were occupied, and Kierka took the seat next to Andy. "I hope you're feeling well this morning, Braeden."

He smiled and nodded, not wishing to be impolite. "Yes, thank you."

"Well enough to sing before we part ways?" she asked hopefully, leaning over Andellyn's breakfast. As she spoke, Rhyfellur entered and took the seat next to Gerik, and the two exchanged morning pleasantries.

Andy excused herself and went upstairs to get her saddlebag. Kierka moved into Andy's empty seat as Brae's eyes followed Andy out of the room. "Unfortunately," he said, still not looking at Kierka, "I'm afraid I'm not feeling that well. If our paths ever cross again, then perhaps I could offer you a song." He set down his fork and stood. "If you'll excuse me, I need to get ready to leave.

~~~

By the time Andy came back downstairs, Kierka and Velli had left. The sun was still rising while she and the others left Derne. They were headed northwest. According to Gerik, they were about a four days' ride from Tirrant, where apparently something important involving Gorden had happened. From there they would go to Waern, another important town. When she asked where they would go after that, silence followed, and she remembered Braeden telling her about possibly having to travel into the Arswai Mountains.

Kiomo was adamant that she have her magic well under control before they reached Tirrant, so she spent her morning practicing under his supervision while riding. She really was much better at controlling it than she had been only a few days before. It required great concentration, but she only overdid things a very little bit all morning. She was exhausted by noon when they paused to eat dinner - not that she had strained herself magically, but it did take such a lot of energy to keep her Talent reigned in. Kiomo insisted that she would get the hang of it soon enough and told her she could have a few hours' break to recover.

When they set off again, Brae rode next to her, and she was glad for his company. They said nothing for a long while, but rode in silence behind the others. Andy was really paying more attention to her surroundings than to her friend. The land they rode through was of gently rolling hills covered with growing things.

Finally, Braeden spoke. "What are you thinking?"

She couldn't help but smile. "It's so beautiful. The plants, the animals, the hills, the open sky - it's breathtaking, all of it."

"You've never been outdoors in spring, have you?" he said, wonder in his voice.

"Not before I left the Academy, not really. There were open places within our walls, but the walls were still very much there. Why do they keep this from us?"

She heard him sigh, but was still gazing at the glory around her. "Probably so you won't get distracted. Strictly speaking, creation and the beauty therein is the concern of Bards, not Adepts, so it probably isn't considered critical to your training." He paused. "Quite a few people question the Academy's methods or accuse them of being old-fashioned."

"Do you?" She was very curious now. She set high store in Brae's opinions.

"I don't think I could have ever survived the Academy," he stated, then paused. "That doesn't mean their methods are wrong. They've been following the same guidelines for as far back as recorded history goes, and tradition is a powerful thing. And apart from the occasional corrupted Adept - and they, if you bother to look, usually were the ones trained outside the Academy - tradition has guided them well. Some of the weaker-willed students of the Academy have been unable to cope with life outside of it, true, but they just weren't cut out for the wide world." He laughed lightly, which made Andy look at him. He was smiling. "I suppose, to finally get around to the point, that I actually approve of the Academy in its entirety."

She wasn't sure how to react. A part of her had expected him to take a quite different view. She herself, after seeing so much more of the world, had started to question the ways that she had been taught. There was sense and solidity in his argument, though, and ultimately, this made her happy. "I think I see your point. And I think I'm glad that I spent my life till now at the Academy."

He was beaming now. "If it's made you who you are today, then I'm very glad you were there for so long. But I think I'm even more glad that you're here now."

She smiled. "Me too." And they returned to the silent reverence and observance of the world around them.

After some time, Kiomo dropped back to continue with the training, and Braeden had to ride up to the others.

"Enjoy your break?" the Adept asked innocently.

She smiled. "Yes. I always enjoy myself when I'm with Bra -" She stopped abruptly, and looked away in an attempt to hide her beet-red face.

"Brae is a pleasant man. It's easy to see why you would enjoy yourself with him."

She turned back, the blush somewhat suppressed. If Kiomo had guessed what she'd meant, he wasn't showing it. "Yes," she agreed. "Back to work, then?"

They worked for several hours, and Andy was proving a fairly quick learner. Although it still took large amounts of energy to control her magic, she was controlling it much better. They stopped shortly after the sun went down. They had reached a town and intended to spend the night in an inn. The lively music emanating from the building could be heard all the way down the street, as well as shouts from happy voices and the tramping of dancing feet.
© Copyright 2006 Erroneous (modernscop at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1067910-The-White-Flame-Part-D