*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1068189-The-Next-Step
by Jewel
Rated: E · Essay · Contest · #1068189
Written for contest
The Next Step-Letting Go

This essay is to express my feelings about my experiences using writing.com. While I’m sure they are not uncommon, new and old members may find it helpful, to reflect on their own first steps.

I consider myself to be a “newbie” though I joined in early December. Initially I was curious about the website and a bit skeptical, so I set out to explore and learn. Always an avid reader, I started there, reading, submitting reviews and then browsing around some of the “How To…” and some of the “Advice” links.

I was really surprised how many new members had signed up after me, quickly started entering items in their portfolio, and posting them in forums, and still I had none. I have to admit I wasn’t rushing either. This is probably one of the reasons I stopped writing in the first place. There are no horror stories to recount here. Not even an incident of receiving a bad review that caused me to set down my pen forever. No Nothing like that; just me with a bad case of fear about letting go of my work. I’ve experienced symptoms such as queasiness, excessive pacing, feeling light-headed and even faint. I may have the soul of a writer, but I sure don’t have the stomach of one. While I’ve always enjoyed writing, allowing others to view my work has created such nervousness and anxiety, that when I wasn’t required to write anymore, I gladly stopped!

The writing.com community has given me a better understanding of the review process, and its’ purpose. While we all want everyone to like our work, most of us want to grow and improve our writing skills. Taking this into consideration, we must also be willing to hear and accept honest, caring feedback, and do the same in return. This way we are able to learn about the art of writing, and the business of writing. Armed with this newfound knowledge, I entered my first item in my portfolio, posted it on a forum for “Newbies”, and entered it in the “Weekly Newbie Challenge”. I’m thrilled to say that my first item is getting positive responses; a great rating and I’ve received some suggestions on ways to improve my poetry. All in all, this has been a rewarding experience.

Now having taken the “First Step”, I’m ready to start filling up my portfolio and leap into (well maybe not leap), walk steadily into the “Next Step” of my writing experiences with Writing.com. Best Wishes to all!

Jewel
© Copyright 2006 Jewel (jeforrest at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1068189-The-Next-Step