*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1068839-When-Doves-Cry
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Drama · #1068839
*She gets the news of her husband's passing in Iraq
Prompt: A pregnant mother of two learns that her army reserve husband has been killed by friendly fire while on duty in Iraq.
*Trophyg*Winning Entry: 02/08/06

_______________________

         She remembers it like it was yesterday.

“Mrs. DeLois? This is Colonel Bradley of the 21st Infantry Division.”

         She remembers his handsome face, the tremulous smile, the excitement and yet fears within those blue eyes the day he received the letter.

         “I am very sorry to have to give you this news…”

         She remembers the passion they had shared the last night before his deployment to Iraq. The way his hands had worshipped her body, caressing the small and barely visible mound, knowing that yet another new life was going to be created.

         “Your husband was a brave man…”

         She remembers the last dinner he prepared – spaghetti with meatballs – how he had played with the twins, tickling them in the living room, holding little Jimmy on his shoulders while Amy ran between his legs.

         “We regret to inform you that your husband has lost…”

         She remembers his strength.

         “…life. He was killed by friendly fire…”

         She remembers his easy rapport with others. How friendly he was. How kind and how loving.

         “…he will be given a burial befitting a hero…”

         She remembers his heated embrace, his hot tears against her cheeks. She remembers his promise.

         “…served his country well. You can be proud of your husband, Mrs. DeLois.”

         Yes. She is indeed proud.

         She replaces the phone slowly and caresses her stomach gently, watching her children play in the garden. The tears will eventually come but for now they remain locked away in that world of disbelief. She will have to tell them the news soon - explain that Daddy will never come home again. She will draw strength from his memory and raise their children the best way she can, for his last words will remain within her heart.

         “I will always be with you, Eleanor, for all eternity.”




Word Count: 300


© Copyright 2006 iKïyå§ama-House Targaryen (satet at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1068839-When-Doves-Cry