*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1070895-Corsiva
Rated: 18+ · Novella · Romance/Love · #1070895
Prologue and Chapters 1&2
Prologue


“We must hurry.”

A pair of horses raced swiftly along the edge of the lake. Water splashed angrily around the shore. The two riders, a young man and woman, dressed in dark hooded capes that shielded their identities from the group of men chasing them. The man carried a squirming bundle across the front of his saddle.

He could hear the angry voices closing in on them. Disappointment and fury flooded equally through his blood. To think, if he and his woman had not chosen today to meet at their secret trysting place what would have happened.

The entire land would have been sent into utter turmoil.

He placed a hand across his package to steady himself more than it. “You must be quiet they will hear us,” he leaned in to whisper anxiously. He sent up a silent prayer that his voice would not be recognized.

The bag stopped it’s squirming and went still. He took that as an assent. His woman turned quickly into the dense forest. Gripping the reins, he followed.

She led him across the lush green grass to a cave. They both dismounted, slapped the horses on the back, and watched them run further into the forest. They stood against the darkened cavern wall, hands gripped together, waiting to hear the men pass.

“They could not have gotten far. Keep searching.”

Long after the voices had faded away, and the only sounds were those of the forest she spoke. “I don’t know what we shall do.”

There was fear and worry etched across the delicate beauty of her face. “We must hide him.”

“We shall be discovered if we leave this place.”

“Then we must send him away from here. Far away, just for now.”

He was asking much of her. “I cannot possibly send him away. I don’t even think I have enough power to do so.”

“I will help you.”

“You cannot, think of the repercussions.”

It was well worth the risk. “I shall help you.” He repeated. She knew from the determination in his voice he would not be swayed. He was breaking an oath to perform this task and it could not be taken lightly.

“Where can we send him that they will not find?”

“I know a place.”


********************************************************

Chapter One

Fiona Marshall tucked a stray hair behind her ear. She looked around the empty office trying to ignore the sinking feeling in her stomach that only seemed to grow in intensity. Plastic storage containers sat by the door filled with various files, pictures and mementos that she had collected over the past ten years.

She was doing the right thing.

She’d told herself the exact same thing repeatedly over the past month since David had asked her to resign her position here at the Humane Society.

“You don’t need to waste you time taking care of stray animals that no one else wants.”

The first time he had suggested she quit she’d felt quite insulted. She loved her job. She loved animals and had an affinity with them that he didn’t, or wouldn’t, understand. His demands had only grown, till he had suggested their wedding be canceled if she couldn’t understand his position. A financial planner in a prestigious firm had to uphold a certain standard. His wife as well.

If she loved him, he had said, then quitting should not be such a difficult choice to make.

“Fiona?”

She glanced up at the door. Tara Blakely, one of her part-time workers, waited. Tara was a student working her way through college, in the same position that Fiona had started in at fifteen. Tara was one of six college students that Fiona supervised.

“Yes?”

“Mr. Maxwell would like to see you in the conference room before you go.”

“Thanks, Tara.”

“I still can’t believe you’re leaving. It just won’t be the same around here without you.”

“I’m going to miss it as well.” She lowered her eyes to the desk, clearly indicating she didn’t want to discuss her leaving any further.

She waited until she heard Tara’s footsteps leading away from her office before she looked up again. The kids had given her the hardest time of all when they had learned she was quitting. No one understood. She needed David. He was the chance to have the family that she’d always wanted. If all he asked was she stop working at the Humane Society, that was a sacrifice she was willing to make.

She walked quickly down the carpeted hall to the small conference room, tapped lightly on the door, then entered and stopped short.

A large paper banner proclaimed, “Farewell, Fiona,” hung over a table. There was food from her favorite Mexican restaurant and punch. A brightly colored sheet caked decorated with different animals set in the center of the table. Tears quickly blinded her and Tara grabbed her hand before she could escape.

“Hey, did you think we’d let you get away without a party.” Tara smiled with more than a little bit of sadness.

“You shouldn’t have done this.”

“Of course we should we love you. We're going to miss you.”


Ted Maxwell leaned his head around the corner into the conference room. Fiona’s farewell party was well on the way but he had a small problem to discuss with her.

“Fiona?”

She turned from talking with two other workers. “Ted?”

He waved her over to the door. He hated to see her go. He was used to seeing her around the place. Had watched her grow from a shy gangly teenager to the beautiful woman she was today.

She wore her usual uniform, a casual dark blue two piece suit with her long hair pulled back tightly into a ponytail. Her delicate face as always free of any make-up.

Fiona had a way with animals that he had never seen before. The sound of her voice or the touch of her hand could calm any animal. They seemed to sense the goodness that just radiated from her and knew instinctively that they could trust her not to do any harm. He still couldn’t understand why she was leaving a job that she so obviously loved.

He might not be able to convince her to stay, but he could make her remember why she’d come here in the first place.

“What’s up?”

Ted motion her to follow him to his office, “Do you remember Chris Taylor?”

“He works over at the wildlife preserve?”

“That’s him. He wants a word with you in my office.”

Chris stood when they entered and Fiona’s gaze was immediately drawn to the carrier at his feet. “No Chris.”

He smiled ruefully, “Ted here told me you were leaving and I couldn’t believe it.”

She walked over and gave him a quick hug hello; “Today is my last day.”

“I need you Fiona.”

“I can’t.”

“Come on, just take a look at him.”

If she looked, she would be caught. Never had she been able to resist. “Why don’t you tell me first?”

“Two weeks ago, I came across a young wolf cub. His paws were injured; he had a few cuts and bruises, as if he’d been in a fight. We had to sedate him so that the vet could treat him. Since then, he’s been quiet. Too quiet, Fiona.” He ran a frustrated hand through his hair. “He wont’ eat. He doesn’t’ socialize with the other wolves. He’s losing weight and showing no signs of recovery. We didn’t know what to do. Until I thought of you. If you can’t help him, he’s going to die.”


******************

There really hadn’t been any choice for her. Fiona pulled her truck into the gravel driveway and headed around back to her stables. She got out and walked inside the cool barn. The first sounds of horses greeted her happily.

“Hello guys.” She called out to the six horses in her stock. She stopped at each stall to pat a greeting to each. “No treats yet, I just got home.”

One horse shook his head and blew arrogantly at her. “Of course that doesn’t matter to you Samson, but you’ll have to wait none the less.” She laughed lightly. Three cats wound their way around her legs, “Hello to you guys too.” They were barn cats and that was all the affection that they were likely to show her. She wasn’t’ surprised when they ran off.

She made her way down to the large birthing stall and began shoveling fresh hay. She set out a large pan of water in the corner. “I brought you guys a guest.” She spoke loudly to her animals.

Of course there had been no choice for her. There was no way she would allow an animal to die if she could help it. So she’d loaded the carrier into the back of her truck along with her things from her office and drove the wolf home.

The carrier was heavy, but still so she took that as a sign that the wolf was still sedated. The horses made noise of alertness, but she sensed no fear in them. They knew that she would never place them in danger. They trusted her completely. She would try to get the animal as comfortable as possible before he awakened in unfamiliar surroundings.

He was a beautiful animal. He had a gray coat that was full and shone despite the animal’s decline in health. Wherever this wolf had come from, he had been well taken care of. It wasn’t unusual for people to try to keep wolf cubs as pets. They quickly realized that wolves just weren’t’ meant to be domesticated animals. It was just good that a wildlife preserve had been built to help save animals just like this one.

His breathing was slow and deep, which meant he was still strongly sedated. She rubbed a gentle hand across his coat, filling her mind with images of care, and safety, conveying them to the cub. She felt the small tremors of heat fill her hands, felt it seep into the wolf. She took a deep breath and closed her eyes. Some times it was difficult to use the gifts she had. Especially, if she had to pour a great deal of energy into it. Now it was simple because the animal was asleep and she was using just a small portion of her power.

She took a deep breath and removed her hand. The wolf still slept on as she quietly made her way out of the stall. She put a heavy pad lock on the door, and left the barn.

“I’ll be back in an hour to feed you guys.”


Fiona wasn’t surprised when she saw David sitting on her front porch waiting for her. How was she going to explain bringing the wolf home? David wanted her to sell the ranch, and move into to town with him. So she could select the house they would live in. Make it into a proper home for someone of his status. The mere thought of it made her stomach tremble with nerves.

“How was your last day,” he leaned over and kissed her cheek.

She tried to smile, “It was a little sad. Everyone got together and gave me a going away party.”

“Everyone loves you Fiona. So now that you’re finished there, we can start making wedding plans right? I was thinking a winter wedding would be nice. Sometime before Christmas?”

Fiona had always dreamed of a small spring wedding, but David seemed so sure, “That sounds nice.” She tried to make her voice sound optimistic.

“I figure by December you will have sold this place, and our house in town will be ready for us to move in.”

“I’m not selling the ranch David.”

He seemed surprised that she didn’t agree with him, “I know you don’t expect us to live out here darling. It’s too far from town.”

Which had been part of the reason why she chose it, “I’ll just hire someone to look after it. I’m sure there is a family that would love to live here.” If it wouldn’t be her family, then someone else would appreciate it. The large two-story house had six bedrooms, a huge living room and dining room and a kitchen that seemed to plead for Sunday breakfasts. There were all sorts of inviting corners for children around the house. Children she would never see play here.

“That’s sounds like a good idea. Renting the place out and we can invest the money for college funds.” He wrapped an arm around her and walked her into the house. He sat on the couch in the living room and she went to get him a cup of coffee. David knew how much she wanted children. Placating her with college funds was his way of compromising with her.

She sat across from him and watched him drink. He had loosened his tie and removed his jacket before he sat down. Now that she looked at him, he really didn’t fit well with this house. He seemed a little too urbane, too well put together. The sleek expensive suit, his carefully manicured hands, and carefully polished shoes were out of place with the deep brick fireplace, and large custom-built furniture, Navajo rugs, and the bright turquoise and tan colors.

He wore his hair closely cut his face free of facial hair, so that his smooth skin was clear. She found him attractive in a polished sort of way, bright dark brown eyes, a smart mouth that when curved in a smile was handsome. He was tall, with a broad chest and muscular arms, from his college days playing football, and the hours he spent working out in his home gym.

What she still couldn’t figure out was why he wanted her. She had no style to speak of. Often choosing jeans and a button up shirt so that she could work freely with the animals. The only suits she owned, were the casual two piece outfits that she wore to a job that she no longer worked.
He was at home in social situations, while she felt more at ease with animals than people. He needed to live in an urban environment, while she preferred the comfort of her ranch. They were almost total opposites, but he had pursued her. Said he loved her.

And she had yet to tell him about her gift.

“So, when do you think you’ll be ready to move into town?”

“Not for a few weeks anyway.”

“It shouldn’t take weeks to pack up. Or to find some one who would rent this place. Possibly a month at the most.”

“Well, now I have the cub to take care. It will definitely be six weeks before he’s ready to be turned loose in the preserve.”

“What?” His quiet voice seemed steeled with anger.

She had forgotten that he didn’t know. This was definitely not the way she had intended to tell him about the wolf cub. “Well Chris, from the wildlife preserve came over to the center today. A wolf cub was found, injured, and they asked if I would look after it until it was ready to be released into the preserve.”

“Did you even consider telling them no Fiona? You don’t work with those animals anymore. Did you tell them that?”

She was surprised at the fury in his voice, “David, I stopped working at the Humane Society, just like you asked. But this cub, he’s ill. They don’t think he’ll make it on his own.”

“So what! It’s a wolf for heaven’s sake Fiona. It’s a wild animal that’s just as likely to attack you when you try to help it. Why do you keep doing things like this?”

For the first time she felt disgust with him, “How do you expect me to turn my back on a living creature, when I may be able to help it?”

He seemed to hear the censure in her voice, “I’m just thinking of your safety honey that’s all.”

The endearment sounded false to her ears, “I’m sure you are. That doesn’t change the fact that I’m going to try to help this wolf if I can.”

He rose from the couch and picked up his jacket, “I don’t want you to be angry with me. I know what these animals mean to you.”

She let herself be coaxed into forgiving him; he really seemed to care about her after all. “I know you were anxious to start making plans. I am too. The cub will surely be well in six weeks. I can start packing up, and trying to find a renter for the ranch. By the time he’s well, I’ll be all set to move into town with you.”

“Alright.” Her pulled her into his arms and placed a warm kiss on her mouth. Part of her pulled away from the contact, the other needed him. He was her chance at a normal future.

“I need to start back to the city. I’ll call you tonight when I get home okay.”

She nodded, and accepted the quick kiss he placed on her lips. She watched the expensive Mercedes pull out of the driveway and back onto the road back to the city.



At seven, she went back to the barn to give the horses their evening meal. She went through the stalls one by one, spending time talking to each. Soon she wouldn’t be able to do this every day. If David had his way, she wouldn’t have the horses or any of the other animals at all.

She heard the wolf moving in the birthing stall, decided now was as good a time to get aquatinted with the animal. She could clearly hear him pacing around the stall, his breathing deep and slow. Those could only be good signs. Unafraid, she unlocked the door and opened it slowly give it a chance to smell her scent. Awake, he was a magnificent animal. His eyes were a clear intelligent gray that seemed to assess her.

She lowered to one knee. “I won’t hurt you. I’m here to help you if you’ll let me.” She poured as much of her gift as she could into her voice. Filled its tone, with comfort, and safety.

The wolf clearly flinched. Then it slowly began backing away from her. Never had an animal done that before. Usually when she put as much power into her voice as she had done, it soothed any animal.

“I won’t hurt you. I just want to help.” She tried again. She watched him back into a corner and sit down. He bared his sharp fangs in a silent growl and she felt the first tremors of fear.

Chapter One cont.



The woman was back again. Whenever she arrived, every animal roused. She usually visited him twice a day. The first time, when the sun was at it’s highest point in the sky. She brought him food and water. The second time was later in the evening after the sun had set.

After the third day he figured out she was drugging him. If he didn’t eat he would starve. When he woke from a mid-day nap, his area would have fresh hay. The best he could estimate, she was protecting herself by putting him to sleep so that she could care for him. His paws were almost completely healed. He felt much stronger than he had in days. So he complied by eating what she gave him.

Two weeks later and he could still sense her nervousness around him. With the other animals she was at ease. There was a warmth and gentleness in her voice. Until she reached his area. Then he could smell the tension that radiated from her.

The door opened slightly. “Hello there,” her voice was tender, soft and clear. That voice drew him. Invited him to accept the comfort it offered. He wedged himself tighter into a corner, very still, eyes narrowed. He gave no signs that she moved him in any way.

She moved with slow purpose, being careful that each step could be seen by him. “I wish there was some way I could get you to trust me. I don’t mean you any harm.” She placed the two large bowls down on the ground. Standing, she folded her hands in front of her.

“I just want you to get well, so that you can go home.” She waited a while for a response. Anything to indicate that he believed her.

Discouraged she turned to go. Before she locked the door she smiled back at him, “I’m not giving up on you.”

He found her very pretty despite his wariness. Her thick black hair pulled away from her face. She had a quick slash of cheek, a soft generous mouth. Her eyes a clear honest gray contradicted what he knew about her.

She communicated with animals. There was a power in her that allowed her to sense their emotions, to give comfort, to ease. It was in her voice, it radiated from her touch. The scent of it filled the air.

She was a Whisperer like those of the Dark Lands of Kala. And that made her dangerous.

It should have been impossible. This was not his home. It’s colors were a fraction of what they should have been. It smelled differently. The ones who’d found him were ignorant of his kind.

Slowly his features contorted. Fur receeded and became honey colored skin. His muzzle withdrew to features that were so perfect, so symmetrical, that any more delicatcy would have made him too beautiful. Dark, unruly hair flowed across his shoulders revealing ears slightly pointed at the tips. His body lengthened into the wiry limbs of a teenaged boy.

Eason, the youngest son of Zachariah Warrick, King of Qadeer of Corsiva, was a long way from home.

Chapter Two


He stood alone at the entrance of the tavern. No one paid much attention to him, too caught up in his or her own business to be bothered by just another drifter. A hood revealing only a sensual mouth that betrayed no emotion shadowed his face.

As he walked toward the bar, the black cloak he wore opened to reveal simple but rich clothes, a black long-sleeved tunic and pants made of the finest Aurelian lamb skin, and a pair of black leather boots that were soundless as he crossed the floor. An elegant bow draped across his chest, trimmed in glimmering gold and a quiver of arrows on his back.

The bartender, a compact bald man whose bulbous nose dominated his meaty features, looked up from the drink he was pouring and offered him a tired glance. The Hideaway was his bar, and Dagnell didn’t like trouble. This guy looked like trouble. “What can I get you?”

The drifter slowly raised his head, cold indigo eyes glared down at him. “Information.” The lyrical voice would have given him away even if his eyes had not.

“Your highness,” Dagnell felt the shimmer of power and bit back fear. The entire bar went still.

Everyone in Corsiva knew that Eason Warrick, the young prince of Qadeer had disappeared three moons before. That Roarke Warrick, crown prince, had crossed into Kala, a land under the rule of Phineas Ulrich, sworn enemy of the Warrick clan betrayed their desperation.

Not that anyone dared approach Roarke Warrick. Powerful well-muscled body, he moved with the sinewy grace of a predator. His profile was strong and proud, full firm mouth, and ears with their slight point on the tip but there was an air of isolation about his tall figure. A descendant of long line of Skinwalkers known for their cunning and strength. His accuracy with the Qadeer bow that hung across his chest made him a deadly foe.

Yet what had pushed Roarke from warrior to legend was his command of the magicks. Roarke was the son of Ananda Dara, Queen of Aurelia, and the most powerful sorceress of that watery land. No one knew the extent of his abilities. A loner, much beloved of his family and people, respected by some and feared by all, Roarke gave nothing away. His very stillness betrayed the power that coursed through him.

When Ananda of Aurelia and Zachariah of Qadeer had married and united their lands to become the most powerful dynasty in the history of Corsiva.

And Roarke was destined to rule it all.

“You know why I have come then.”

“I have heard the rumors about the young prince’s disappearance.” The choking knot in his stomach released when Roarke turned away.

Roarke glanced from table to table. What he saw, the dregs of Corsiva, thieves, murders and mercenaries. A cesspool of criminals who probably knew exactly what happened to his younger brother. It was his responsibility to bring his younger sibling home.

Eason had come to him that day and asked if he would go for a run with him now that he was home from Aurelia. Normally he would have, but Father had demanded his presence in his chambers. He had cuffed Eason across the top of his head and sent him out into the forest never knowing that someone would capture his brother.

Eason was a young man, just learning the extent of his abilities, so it would have been easy to trap a young wolf. This travesty had to be related to his homecoming. In two months, his father would officially step down from both his rule as the monarch of Qadeer as well as the fourth seat of the Council of Elders and Roarke would step into his father’s place. There were too many factions that didn’t want him to take that place.

Especially the Whisperers, which was why he started his search here. The Ulrich clan wanted nothing more than to make Kala the ruling force of Corsiva. The Warrick clan had held that distinction for more than thirty years, Roarke intended it to stay that way. Corsiva would not be thrown into turmoil because of the petty greed of Tharon Ulrich, a younger son with less sense than a wildebeest.

“I am looking for information,” he repeated loudly. “Anyone who knows something that leads to the return of Eason Warrick, will receive the usual bounty of one hundred thousand delora as well as an acreage of land in Aurelia.”

The last had been granted from his Grandfather who was distraught over his missing grandchild. The most valuable land in all of Corsiva was in Aurelia. It was fertile from the magicks to provide a bountiful harvest with lakes yielding abundant catches of fish. A landowner in Aurelia had a voice in the civil council, the local governing body. Acreage of land coupled with one hundred thousand delora would make any one of these parasites wealthy beyond their imaginings.

“Fuck Aurelia, and fuck you. You can keep your money.” The raw harsh voice was accompanied by several grunts and laughter of agreement.

“Why don’t you go back to Qadeer where you belong Skinwalker?” Six men rose and approached from the back of the tavern. All who bore the look of the Ulrich clan. The men formed a semi-circle around him; he supposed it was to be threatening.

Roarke removed his hood allowing his thick sable black hair to fall across his face. “I have no dispute with you.”

“You come into Kala, looking down your nose at us, making accusations and expect to walk away.”

“You would be wise to do nothing foolish,” Roarke’s voice hardened with an ominous quality.

The largest man, young with a steely face and a wide shouldered rangy build stepped forward. Obviously the most powerful of the group he spoke in the low compelling voice of a highly trained Whisperer. “I think you should leave now. No one here will be giving you information.”

“I want you all to remember this moment. You are aware the treaty between our lands has been threatened by this act. If it is found that Kala is responsible for the disappearance of my brother, I will hold you all responsible.”

“You can’t take us all on Prince.”

“You’d be surprised what I can do,” he turned cold eyes to the man in front of him, letting him know that his use of power had no effect, no Whisperers voice affected him, “And I’ll start with you.”

The six men began closing the circle and Roarke heard a heavy voice pronounce loudly, “I know I’m not seeing this.”

The attention of the patrons went toward the door again, and Roarke almost smiled at his friend’s impertinence. He had told Ishmael to remain with the horses. “I know that I don’t see six men surrounding the crown prince of Qadeer with the intention of subduing him with force.”

He just barely managed to not roll his eyes; Ishmael’s sense of the dramatic really needed to be toned down. At over six foot five and powerfully built, no one was stupid enough to take on Ishmael Wakely of the weapon’s guild. His personal bodyguard. However, no one ever claimed the patrons of the Hideaway were intelligent.

Ishmael placed his hands on his waist and waited for him to give the command to attack. Why did Ish leave these things up to him? Several other men sensing the battle was about to heat up stood from their seats. Perhaps his cousin Jovan had been right about coming in here. She still hadn’t made an appearance and would probably stay outside on her horse just so that she could say ‘I told you so.’

Not waiting for him to get the upper hand, the young Whisperer in front of him attacked. Roarke stepped quickly to the side. Three Whisperers came at him, all three carrying knives but he dropped and swept out a strong leg dropping them to the ground. In one graceful motion he had two arrows in her hand and buried in the chests of two while the blades in his boots cut the throat of the third.

He stood slowly, feeling his blood heat, letting the adrenaline build, he reached into the quiver retrieving two more arrows twirled them in his limber wrists. Roarke watched men surround Ishmael but knew that his friend could take care of himself. His focus narrowing as the battle slowed around him. Three more rushed him. He backflipped into the air gracefully, killing two behind him, felt claws lengthen from his nails and took out one more in front of him with a flick of his wrist.

One actually grabbed his arms from behind, but he flipped back, wrapping his legs around his neck, snapped it quickly before rolling across the floor, and sprang to his feet slicing through another.

The Whisperers seemed all at once to focus in on him. It was normal actually; everyone wanted to be the one to defeat Roarke Warrick in a confrontation. What these untrained men had yet to realize was he hadn’t even made an effort yet.

Jovan stuck her head inside the tavern, her bright auburn hair tumbled carelessly around her shoulders. She paused, broadcasting their family’s regal certainty, until her deep violet eyes found him. They glittered with annoyance. “Roarke, we are wasting time.” She was right of course, but he heard Ishmael groan in disappointment. He had just brought down three men and if the smile on his face was any indication was just starting to enjoy himself. It was time to end this.

“Cessare,” he raised his hand and wove the spell quickly. Time began to slow and then stopped. By all rights, these men had committed a crime against Qadeer and should die for their assault on a royal family. He had neither the time, nor the patience to deal with this squabble.

“Mittere,” the small messenger orb appeared in his hand glowing the same deep indigo as his eyes. He dispatched it quickly to the local constable. The time spell would hold until the authorities arrived. Roarke placed several delora on the bar to cover the damage and strode from the bar.

“That’s just a blatant use of your abilities Roarke; you should be ashamed of yourself taking advantage like that. You know those idiots don’t know any better.” Jovan swung easily into her saddle still lecturing him. Ishmael, looked over at him and grinned, then made a mocking face, imitating Jovan. “Don’t think that I don’t know what you’re doing behind my back Ish. You’re supposed to be ensuring that Roarke remains out safe, not egging the man on.”

“Jovan, I appreciate your concern, but everything was under control.” Roarke swung into his own saddle patting Sakura as she neighed and shook her head.

“I don’t suppose you learned anything useful,” Jovan looked over her shoulder.

“Of course I have, I just killed the six men responsible for abducting Eason, and now all I need to do is confirm that Tharon hired them.” Neither of them asked how he knew those men had taken Eason. He had smelled his brother’s scent all over them.

“I can’t believe that Tharon would risk breaking the treaty.” Jovan nudged her horse forward and took off down the road.

The treaty was a shaky truce reached between his father and Phineas Ulrich. Whisperers and Skinwalkers had been battling each other for generations, for the sake of Corsiva both men had agreed to end the war. The fact that Tharon would go against his father’s wishes, threaten the safety of Corsiva was unimaginable, but worse things could happen.

In two months he could actually marry one of those women his father kept parading in front of him for his thirtieth birthday.

“Where shall we go next?”

Roarke glanced over at Ishmael, “The palace, my mother wishes to speak with me.” He had received the mental message before entering the tavern.

Ishmael frowned, “Are we going the usual way?”

Roarke allowed a small smile, “No, we can ride.”

“Good, I hate transporting magicks.”



© Copyright 2006 danigirl (scii at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1070895-Corsiva