*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1070897-Corsiva
Rated: 18+ · Novella · Romance/Love · #1070897
Chapters 3 & 4
Chapter Three


“Greetings, Your Royal Highness, Prince Roarke Llyr Yohan Warrick. It has been many moons since we have spoken. I believe that I may have information concerning your brother, Eason. I request your presence here in Dyane.”

Aurelia consisted of two lands, Dahlia and Dyane, the water and the mountains. His mother was from Dahlia, a powerful Witch and Queen of all Aurelia. The Oracle resided in Dyane, deep within the mountainous range, only to be reached by magicks.

Upon completing the Claiming ceremony in his sixteenth year, there were only two individuals powerful enough to enter his mind, without permission. The first, his mother, with whom he shared a blood bond. She tended to respect his need for privacy and only reached out to him telepathically when she wished to speak to him, or if she felt he needed her. The second, was the Oracle. His aunt.

“I bid you greetings, Lady Yasmin Dara. I am en route to Qadeer for an audience with mother. I will come to Dyane for evening repast, if this will suit?

“Of course, Yohan, till we meet.”

Roarke halted Sakura, immediately catching Jovan and Ishmael’s attention. They gathered around him so that he could speak. “There has been a change of plans.”

Ishmael frowned, “I knew it was too good to be true.” He truly hated transporting magicks. He could never get used to his body dematerializing and reforming in another place. Roarke was powerful enough that the transport lasted only seconds but Ish still complained whenever they had to do it.

Roarke slid easily from his saddle, “The Oracle has requested my presence.” This meant they would have to travel on to Aurelia and wait for him in an inn. No one was granted an audience with the Oracle, if she wanted your presence you were summoned with a visitation spell. Lady Yasmin was family, so Roarke saw her often, but this invitation was still unusual. “I will go and meet with Mother, while you travel ahead.”

“Is something wrong?” Jovan asked.

“I don’t know. I will see you this evening. I’d like to sleep in a bed this time Jovan, not in the lake.” Jovan was from Dahlia and whenever she had the opportunity to return, made her sleeping arrangements in the lodge centered in the middle of Sibylline Lake, the place of his birth.

For some reason he always had strange dreams when he slept there and tonight after transporting and using so much magick he wanted to sleep peacefully. He had no wish to dream strange images of buildings that touched the sky and were made of glass, or swift carriages that smelled, and colors that were dim and depressing. He had enough on his mind trying to find his brother.

“It is a place of rejuvenation, you should appreciate it Roarke.” Jovan replied stiffly and folded her arms across her chest.

“I still would like a regular bed of down and not water.”

“Do we have to go this way,” Ishmael complained even though he knew the answer. It would take too long to travel by horse to Dahlia.

“Stop complaining, how you managed to become my cousin’s royal guard, I’ll never understand. You’re such an infant.”

“That’s enough Jovan.” Roarke quieted them both before an argument could start. As much as Jovan loved Ishmael, she seemed determined to make his life unbearable because he was oblivious. “I trust you will look after Sakura?” He nodded to Ish and he agreed.

Roarke took a deep breath and raised both of his hands preparing to send them, the ground trembled slightly then stilled, the very air around him seemed to shimmer as he gathered a portion of energy from every living thing, “Transponere.”

It was tiring to use that much energy at once, and knowing he would have to spell himself into his aunt’s castle Roarke decided against transporting to his mother. He closed his eyes and opened his senses, catching her distinct scent even from this great distance. Securing the image in his mind of a great bald eagle, he felt his body instantly reach to take that form. He much preferred to travel as a wolf, but knew he would cover the distance to the citadel quickly from air.

The wind filtered through his powerful wings as he took to the sky with a sharp, proud cry.


***********************************************************************


Fiona stood in the mirror in her bathroom putting the finishing touches on her outfit for the afternoon luncheon that David insisted she attend with him. She carefully tended to a stray tendril of hair that had escaped from the simple twist she held together with an antique silver clasp. As she ran a tentative finger across her cheekbones, she wondered how he would react if she left her hair down for the evening.

“He would probably make a fuss over it the entire day,” she told her reflection.

The light rose lipstick she applied barely gave more than a glossy shine and this was the only makeup she wore. David would have insisted on more, something smoky on her eyes, or blush but she really couldn’t stand make-up.

When David showed up, dressed in a casual but stylish sleet grey suit, complimented perfectly by a wine tie, he kissed her cheek quickly but she could see the disapproval in his eyes. Evidently the fitted skirt with it’s flirty ruffled hem in espresso and the simple cashmere cardigan and shell set in camel weren’t what he expected when she opened the door. Fiona ran a nervous hand down the skirt, it was one of her better outfits. Lisa, one of the workers at the Humane Society had pointed it out in a catalogue one afternoon during lunch.

“Ready?” He asked tentatively as if he were giving her a chance to run and change.

“Yes,” she smiled and picked up the small brown shoulder bag.



She was having the worst afternoon in her entire life.

It was worse than going to senior prom alone. It was worse than the six blind dates she had endured in college. In fact, there was nothing to compare to it. Nothing.

The women were all sophisticated and perky in their pastel suits, talking about nonsense things that she didn’t even want to concern herself with. The men were clustered together bragging about who bagged what account and who was coming up for promotion. Here she sat alone on the edge of the garden, surrounded by the most magnificent flowers with no one to talk to.

It was a dismal glimpse into the future.

Two large Great Danes rushed into the garden, barking in deep angry growls. A very harried older man rushed after them but their loping strides were much to fast for him. Before she knew it, they were almost at her. “That will be enough from you two.” She demanded before she was even aware of opening her mouth. The short burst of energy she had projected into the sentence was enough to stop them from running into her. Both dogs plopped their butts down onto the grass, tongues lolling out as they anxiously awaited her next words.

Fiona rose and rubbed her fingers along their short coats, scratching lightly behind their ears, pouring her gift into her fingers. They began to whine with pleasure, licking at her hands eagerly.

“I’ve never seen them behave so well with strangers.” His voice was kind but filled with amazement.

“They’re rather like very large children. Very precocious aren’t’ you.” She kneeled down allowing them the opportunity to lick her cheek. “And what might your names be?” She listened carefully for the response, not blinking when the man told her, “Barney and Wren.”

“Well Barney,” she nodded to the dog on her left, “And Wren, you two are going to have to conduct yourselves. Your master has company today and you must be on your best behavior.”

“Fiona, so this is where you’ve run off to,” she heard David walk up behind her and steeled herself for the admonishment that she knew was coming. In all of the people at the party, she was here with the animals.

“David,” she turned with a small smile, “I was just,” she stopped nervously.

“She was just taking a moment to help an old man,” the older man gently filled in. “I’m afraid I took her quite by surprise and we haven’t had the opportunity to be introduced.

“Mr. Bodine, We weren’t expecting you this evening. Marcus told everyone that you were unavailable.” David nodded respectfully. “This is my fiancé Fiona Marshall.”

Fiona turned back in shock. Thomas Bodine was the president of David’s company. His son, Marcus, and his wife Jane, were the ones hosting this luncheon today. “Mr. Bodine, it’s a pleasure to meet you.” She took his offered hand, blushing lightly when he kissed her fingers lightly.

“The pleasure is all mine,” he moved around David cutting him out, “I do believe I will join you today, I can find out more about your lovely fiancé.” The dogs immediately stepped in front of David before he could join them. “Tell me Fiona, you’re very good with animals. Would you happen to be a vet by chance?”


From then on, the afternoon was quite pleasant. Thomas Bodine did join the luncheon and he spent the entire time with her. They had a wonderful conversation about his dogs; he had several breeds not just the two Great Danes that wouldn’t leave her side. She wasn’t unaware of the glances thrown in her direction. The men tried to draw Tommy, as he told her to call him, away and into their discussions but he quite adamantly refused.

“This is too pleasant an afternoon to talk business.” Then he would take her hand and guide her to another corner of the house.

The ladies all followed, at the urgings of their dates and husbands, trying to interject into the conversations. Some of them turned out to be quite nice; those were usually the ones who had pets at home themselves. But there were too many who were very nasty towards her. Fiona heard more than one whisper about her cozying up to the CEO for David.

“Don’t mind them, Fiona,” Tommy patted her hand, “Petty jealousy is never attractive.”

She had felt the afternoon went rather well until David dropped her off. He was quiet for most of the drive, storming into the house after her. He removed his suit jacket and paced the living room. Fiona had hoped that he would be pleased. She hadn’t spent the entire afternoon on the edge of the party. She participated. Something she normally had a very difficult time managing. Not only that, but the CEO of his company had invited her over for dinner later that week.

“What was with that performance today?” She didn’t miss the flicker of anger in his eyes.

“I don’t understand. You wanted me to go with you, and I could tell that you were angry that I wasn’t socializing the way you would have liked. But I was sure you would be pleased when Tommy took such and interest.”

“Tommy?” he asked, “You’re calling Thomas Bodine, the CEO of the most prestigious financial institution in this city, Tommy.”

“That’s what he asked me to call him,” she said in a confused whisper.

“I’m sorry, Fiona. It’s just been a long afternoon. When I asked you to join me today, I expected you to be like the rest of the women there. Yet, the first thing you do is go befriend the dogs.”

“They were charging right at me David, what was I supposed to do?”

He ignored her question and went on waving a frustrated hand her clothes, “And this outfit? Why couldn’t you wear one of those suits I bought you.”

Because she didn’t like them, “They aren’t me David. I didn’t want to be uncomfortable the entire afternoon.” She hated those damned suits to be honest. Why couldn’t he just accept her this way?

“I just don’t understand you Fiona. I thought you wanted to marry me; that we would make a very compatible couple. When we attend these functions together it is to advance my position within the company.”

“Of course I want to marry you,” she said panicking, “I thought, I thought I was doing everything right.”

He took her hands and pulled her down onto the sofa, “I know you did Fiona. I’m sorry if I sounded angry.” He smiled easily, “Next time, we’ll discuss what you should wear before hand. And now that you’ve met most of the wives of the members of the company, you’ll feel more comfortable.”

He meant that she wouldn’t embarrass him, she thought with a dejected sigh. She still didn’t understand what she had done that was so wrong, but since he didn’t seem angry anymore, she would let it go. If they were going to be married, she had to get used to these kinds of functions. This life that David led.

“May I stay,” he asked kindly.

“Yes,” she whispered and watched his lips descend to take hers.

Fiona felt the shimmering of desire tickle down her spine as his tongue dipped in her mouth. She felt his hands trace lightly down her arms. ‘Now,’ she thought to herself, ‘this time is going to be different.’

He stood from the couch and took her hand, leading her into the bedroom. His large hands unbuttoned her sweater and slipped it off her shoulders. He removed the shell and the skirt quickly, his mouth trailing hot kisses along her skin and led her over to lay across the bed.

She watched in dazed wonder as he swiftly removed his clothes, and came back to her, barely taking the time to see if she was prepared, grasped her hips and plunged in, almost painfully, bringing a startled cry from her throat.

Moments later and it was over. No this time wasn’t any different from any of those others, she thought sadly. Maybe she was frigid and didn’t enjoy sex. How could something that was supposed to be so wonderful, leave her feeling so empty. She questioned, not for the first time, how she was going to marry this man.

She waited until his chest rose and fell in a steady rhythm before she slid from the bed. He mumbled in his sleep and rolled onto his side. Quietly she walked into the bathroom to take a quick shower. After dressing quickly, she went downstairs and out the back door to feed her animals.

Somewhere deep in her heart she mourned for that missing something that wouldn’t remain silent. Deep inside she ached.


*********************************************************************


Deep inside he ached. Roarke opened his eyes, his hands braced against the walls, feeling furious and sad all at once. He turned off the steaming hot water and wrapped the large bath sheet across his body. He didn’t know where the emotions came from. Jealousy, mean and ugly coursed through his body and he didn’t understand it. It wasn’t a premonition, those he could not claim to have. It was like his soul had cried out for a moment. A moment of despair that had made filled him, torn his heart.

Foolish nonsense. It was impossible. He did not have a fidere. He was alone in this world. An aberration. A male Skinwalker who could wield magicks and had no mate.

And would be king.


Brushing off these ridiculous melancholy thoughts, Roarke quickly donned royal dress a indigo tunic, trousers and boots, choosing to leave off the jeweled embellishments required of his station. Very plain but refined when faced with his enigmatic eyes. He braided one lock of black hair over his right ear with a quick spell, a Warrick custom, brushing the rest carelessly away from his face so that it flowed like black glass to his waist.

The result devastating.

At least that’s what Ananda thought as she watched her very beautiful, but very solemn son enter her consulting chambers. He was a gorgeous combination of his parents that the courtiers often murmured about. Often they wondered what it was like in his bed, but never approached Roarke. They knew he would refuse them, but most were not quite brave enough to approach this daunting prince.

Never would she have wished this life on her eldest son. He would never know the love that she bore his father. The connection that bound fidere no matter where life took them. To be so powerful and so alone.

Roarke was even stronger than she, the Queen of all Aurelia, in his magicks. A formidable warrior and could change his form at will. Most Skinwalkers had a base form, an animal they connected with shortly after attaining puberty. The Warrick clan, wolves. Roarke had no hindrances. Was this the result of joining Qadeer and Aurelia?

“Son, you look well.”

Roarke kneeled quickly, and then stood embracing her with a quick but affectionate kiss on her cheek. “Mother. I cannot stay long, Aunt Yasmin has sent for me.”

Ananda frowned, “I have wondered where these troubling sensations rose. If Yasmin has called you then she will certainly be able to name their cause.”

“I have not learned much about Eason’s disappearance, but his abductors have been taken care of.”

She hated this, all she wanted was peace in the kingdom. All she wanted was the safe return of her son. “I am keeping you, forgive me. A mother’s indulgence. Your sister Calandra has said that I am beginning to try her nerves.” She just needed reassurance that her children were safe. Brooklynne her eldest daughter was lucky that she resided in the West, in Jaron, the land of Trees, with her husband Slade and their children; else, she would be requesting her presence constantly.

“I will bring him home Mama,” Roarke said, his voice softening as he caressed the side of her face.

“If anyone can, it’s you Yohan.” It was the name that only she and her twin, Yasmin, called him. “Be safe.”

Roarke bowed to his mother, hating the sorrow in her lovely face. If it was the last thing he did, those who had cause his family such pain would be punished. He gathered his energy and focused on the castle in Dyane, “Transponere.”


Chapter Four


Fiona opened the door to the stall, quite surprised when instead of seeing the young wolf she was expecting, there was a young man laying across the hay. She looked around the small area, wondering if perhaps she was mistaken but there he was. So the question was, how did a young man get inside her barn and how did he get in without any of the other animals being aware of it.

“Hey,” she said sharply. She could hear the other animals begin to stir but it couldn’t be helped. This kid had just released a dangerous wolf in the area and she needed to know how long it had been loose so she could alert the proper authorities. “Hey wake up!”

The young man flinched, then raised his head, pinning her with eyes the color of violets. Fiona blinked beneath that stare, it was direct but just a bit alarmed and reminded her of the wolf cub. He was a beautiful young man, especially with all that long dark hair that looked like it would reach all the way down his back. He was dressed strangely, in a pair of dark brown pants and long sleeved t-shirt that looked suede but barefoot.

“What are you doing in here?” She asked and watched him scramble back against the wall. “Hey,” she sighed, her hands held up to soothe, not able to maintain that angry voice in the face of his fear. “I’m sorry for yelling, but I really need to know what you’re doing in here. I had a wolf cub in this stall that was ill. Did you release him?” He sat there watching her and Fiona thought maybe he didn’t speak English. She didn’t know any other languages and she would hate to go inside and wake David up. David wouldn’t care much about the wolf being released but he would call the authorities because this boy was trespassing.

When he still said nothing, she sat the bowls of food and water down against the wall and stepped further inside. “My name is Fiona Marshall and this is my ranch. I don’t recall seeing you around here,” or in this city period, she amended silently. “What’s your name?”

He narrowed his eyes and shook his head, which told her the boy at least understood what she was saying, he just wasn’t going to respond. “Okay, how about this, you come on out and we’ll go back to the house. You can call your Mom, or Dad and they can come pick you up. I promise, no tricks or anything, we’ll just say you were lost.”

When that didn’t get a response Fiona, released a deep frustrated breath, “Come on kid work with me, I’m trying to get you home with out any trouble.”

“You cannot do that.”

Fiona blinked at that sudden response, more from the regal accent than anything else. Each word was crisp, clearly intonated and spoke of wealth. He didn’t have an accent, not really, and she didn’t know of any foreigners visiting the area anyway. The wealthy kids in the city wouldn’t be caught dead on her ranch. They would be too busy driving around in their expensive toys or at the mall to be bothered with a sick wolf. Unless this was some practical joke. She got those every once in a while. Especially from the real snobs who liked to make fun of her.

“So, if I can’t contact your parents, then why don’t you just tell me your name then and we’ll go from there.” She placed her hands on her hips and waited for an answer.

“My name is Eason Warrick.” He said slowly as though testing her. It was a strange name, one she hadn’t heard before. There weren’t any families with the name Warrick in the area. Perhaps this boy was a runaway, which would just create an entirely new set of problems. She couldn’t in good conscious let this boy just walk away if he had parents that could be worried about him.

When David woke, he was going to make a big production about this. And she had yet to find the wolf cub yet. “Okay Eason, why don’t we go inside the house and we can figure this out.”

“There is nothing to figure out Whisperer.” He said the words as if they left a bad taste in his mouth. She had been called a whisperer before, it was one of those terms made famous by that movie with Robert Redford. People liked to call her a whisperer because she seemed extraordinarily good with animals. They didn’t know of her gifts and empathic connection with them. The term was generally used with respect or admiration. This boy made it sound like a four letter word.

“I’m not a whisperer,” she denied, “I’m just Fiona. Now would you like to come inside so we can make those calls.”

He shook his head, as if he were dealing with a child, “I appreciate what you’re trying to do, but you cannot help me. And when my brother arrives for me, I will go home.”

Now they were making progress, “Your brother you said? Okay, what is your brother’s name? That way we can call him and he’ll come get you.”

“My brother cannot be called,” he said carefully as if testing the words out. “When he arrives, I will go. You may leave me.” He turned sideways, wrapping his arms around his knees and closed his eyes. Dismissing her, she realized with a bit of amusement.

“Okay Eason,” she smiled indulgently, “I’m sure that where you’re from, they treat you like a prince, but here on my ranch I’m queen. So listen up. You are going to get up and come inside the house and we’re going to talk about this brother who is coming for you. Then you’re going to tell me what you did with my wolf.”

“He was not your wolf,” he retorted then his eyes widened as if he had revealed something he shouldn’t have.

“So,” she nodded, “He was yours?” Families often tried to keep wolves as pets then when they realized how inappropriate it was they were thrown away.

“I am the wolf.”

Fiona looked at the serious expression on Eason’s face and figured things had just gone from slightly annoying to potentially unstable, especially if this kid thought he was a wolf. “Okay, you’re the wolf,” she said slowly, “I suppose you just transformed into the wolf during the full moon?”

“No, stupid. I transform whenever I like. And when Roarke finds out you helped those other Whisperers kidnap me, he’ll kill you.”


*************************************************************************************



Roarke walked through the cool hall towards his Aunt’s observation chambers where the handmaiden said she awaited him. He was always slightly awed by the beauty of Lady Yasmin’s castle. Cool and formal, with soft silky fabrics of the purest whites, it wasn’t a place that invited children, but some of the happiest memories of his childhood were spent roaming these halls. He had discovered his magicks here. He had mourned his destiny here. The castle was as much home as the citadel.

Curled into a chair reading, or chasing one of the very servants he’d just sent away, Roarke knew that many wouldn’t understand his enjoyment of this place. It was more than the walls; it was the love and acceptance of his Aunt that made those reminiscences so happy. He didn’t bother to glance at his reflection in the crystal walls as he walked, knowing he would see an impatient man who was worried for his brother and his family’s well-being.

Roarke occasionally wondered what others saw when they looked at him. Ish called him impenetrable, a fortress of ice, he often joked that women liked that about him wanted to be the one who saw the man behind the mask. Roarke had informed Ish that he couldn’t have been more mistaken. Women wanted nothing to do with him. Most were too wary even to speak with him.

Jovan would remind them both that it was his responsibility to be serious; he was the future king after all. The burden he carried was not meant to be taken lightly. Ish would laugh and call her a worrywart. Roarke often wished he could as well. Yet he knew she was correct. He had been aware of his station in life since the Claiming Ceremony. He knew exactly the life that lay ahead of him.

Alone.

Married to some woman he would never truly care for.

Respected and feared.

It was a cold barren existence that he sometimes wished he could run from.

Roarke shook his head, knowing these thoughts were futile. It was this castle. Being here often forced him to confront wishes and deep seated desires that were buried inside his heart. This is why his Aunt didn’t have many visitors, for she could see deep inside everyone this castle was just a reflection of her gifts. For him it was a comfort to be so understood.

As he opened the door to the chamber, he found his Aunt sitting at her scrying pool. She reclined on large brightly colored pillows looking much like a wood nymph instead of the powerful Oracle. The room was completely different from the rest of the castle. Bright green, blooming with several varieties flowers and plants. It was similar to his mother’s green house except that each living thing seemed to be apart of her.

Yasmin was nearly identical to his mother; her pale gold hair surrounded her like an aura of light, making her almost glow in the pure white gown she wore. Her face, gently beautiful with those eyes that were ever changing. She trailed a slender hand across the water making it ripple then glanced up at him and smiled softly.

“Yohan,” she gestured for him to join her and reluctantly he did so. Sitting in front of a scrying pool was difficult for him. He had no wish to see the future. “Thank you for coming so quickly.”

Roarke took her outstretched hand and placed a kiss to her knuckles, bowing deeply, and then joining her on the pile of pillows. He folded his long legs beneath him easily, keeping his gaze averted from the water’s surface on firmly on his Aunt’s face. “Of course,” He nodded slightly, “You have news of Eason?”

“Yes,” she murmured and trailed her hand across the water’s surface again. She was very ethereal, her voice almost echoing with power and Roarke waited as usual for her to speak again. When she looked up at him again, her eyes were almost clear, a pale lilac, which meant she was seeing something at this moment. Hopefully, it concerned his brother’s whereabouts. “I know you are worried for Eason.”

“Mother most of all,” it was the first time he had been unable to accomplish a goal. It was as though his brother had disappeared from Corsiva completely. No matter how powerful he was, he had yet to bring him home.

“Ananda knows though he is missing, he is alive,” Yasmin said and folded her hands in her lap, “A mother’s heart knows her child’s.”

“She worries,” was all he would say. It was enough.

“True, but then she always has.” She took a deep breath and released it slowly, closing her eyes and turning inward, “Yohan, you will travel beyond Corsiva, beyond all that you have ever known to find your brother. And more.”

He didn’t understand that last part, so he focused on what was most important, “Beyond Corsiva, that’s forbidden,” he knew there were other worlds beyond Corsiva, he occasionally dreamt of them. He was occasionally given glimpses of places beyond that of his world, but to travel there? Using those magicks was forbidden. “How did Eason get beyond Corsiva?”

“Those who sent him there, their hearts were in the right place.” Her voice deepened as she tapped into her magicks, “They were trying to save the young Prince and the only way they knew how was to send him there.”

“Why not just send him home?”

“That is not for me to say Yohan.” She opened her eyes and this time they were their usual dreamy violet, “You will travel beyond Corsiva to bring your brother home. And the other who will end the strife between Kala and Qadeer forever.”

“I don’t know how,” he began and watched her smile. Of course he knew how, just because he wished not to speak of all he was capable, did not mean that he lacked the knowledge. There was not much that Roarke Warrick of Qadeer was denied.

Except a mate.

“You will travel at dawn. Alone Roarke. Your companions who await you in Dahlia may not accompany you.” She said softly and he could hear the regret in her voice. Alone as he was always. Even in this, he was denied the simple company of friends. “You must look inside yourself and find the answers, then leave at dawn to find your brother.”

Roarke nodded, knowing those answers even now, as he wished he didn’t. Sibylline Lake. The place of his birth, the place where his dreams haunted him most.

It was the gate to whatever world held his brother.

*************************************************************************************


Fiona had finally convinced the young man to leave the stall and come back to her house. They went in through the back, into the kitchen, so that she could kick off her mud boots and clean up before finding out the truth about his situation. She had left a stew simmering in a slow cooker for lunch tomorrow before leaving for the luncheon this afternoon.

Fiona had intended to put it away when she returned from feeding her animals but she heard his stomach growl. His face blanked and he brushed his long hair away as the blush spread across his embarrassed skin. Who ever this young man was his manners were impeccable, his bearing certainly regal. It was too bad that he was so young that his formality made her want to smile.

“Would you like something to eat Eason?” She offered and from the look on his face knew he wanted to decline but he gave her a slight nod instead. “Why don’t you use the sink there to wash up and I’ll make you a bowl of stew.” Eason nodded again walking to the sink, then stared at it and glanced quickly back over his shoulder at her, then away.

She wondered about the confusion, but she leaned over and turned the two knobs, adjust the water’s temperature to warm and pumped some liquid soap into his hands. She heard him murmur a hasty thank you as he began scrubbing his hands then rinsed them under the running water. He reached over and twisted the water off, just as she had and wiped his hands on the towel she had sat next to him.

“So,” she started, ready to learn more about this Eason Warrick who thought he was a wolf, and if she should call the psych ward or the police. “How did you get into my barn? I know I locked that stall.”

“You put me there evidently,” he shrugged as he sat down, his posture straight and his hands folded neatly on his lap. “When I woke from the drug that man gave me, I was in the stall.”

“If you’re the wolf, then why did you suddenly decide to let me see you like this?” She asked as she ladled the thick beef stew into the bowl. She took a spoon from the drawer and set the bowl in front of him, and then she cut a large piece of the brown bread, slathered it with butter and set it down as well.

“There is only so much kibble I can eat,” he said. She had to give him a point there. Then Fiona shook herself, if she didn’t watch herself, she was going to start believing his outrageous story. It was just that he seemed so sincere that it was difficult not to believe. She supposed that’s what made the mentally imbalanced that way. They truly believed whatever delusion their minds were trapped in.

“I noted you are the only one who lives here, aside from the few animals that you keep. You are not like any of the other Whisperers that I have met. You take good care of them and they seem to love you. I figured I’m strong enough to resist one lone woman, should you attempt to harm me.”

Fiona could hear the nerves beneath that very critical discourse. No matter how mature this boy seemed, he was still just a child. She poured him a large glass of milk and set it down, noting he had yet to touch the food she gave him. “You don’t want it?”

He nodded once, “I am waiting for you to join me,” he answered and Fiona smiled. Those manners again. Instead of putting rest of the stew away as she planned, she quickly made herself a small bowl, grabbed a glass of iced tea and joined him for the meal. She couldn’t help admiring his etiquette when she knew he had to be starving. He ate slowly and neatly, but when he was done every scrap of the meal was gone.

“Would you like more?” she offered and he nodded.

“Yes, please.”

By the time Eason was done, he had gone through four bowls of stew, three-quarters of the loaf of brown bread and the half of the half-gallon of milk. When she cut him a thick slice of the chocolate cake, he finished the container of milk on his second slice. He wiped his mouth neatly, “Thank you.” And she burst into laughter.

“Oh Eason, you’re so sweet,” she smiled and ruffled his hair much as she might one of her dogs and he seemed to preen under her touch. “You don’t have to be so formal with me.”

“I am a guest in your home,” he reminded her and she could hear the training in that remark.

“True,” she agreed, “But I’d hope that we could be friends as well.”

“That would be nice. Fiona.” A cautious smile curved his mouth and Fiona felt like she had finally begun to make some progress.

She stood from the table, and he came to his feet as well, those manners deeply inbred. “Now,” she looked him up and down with a critical eye, “You’re not that much shorter than me, and we’re almost the same size. I have some jogging pants that you could wear and a t-shirt you could put on. If you give me your things, I could clean them up for you and you could take a shower.”

Eason frowned slightly, that wariness coming back into his voice, “Why are you being so kind to me?”

“Because you’re a kid Eason,” She smiled, “I have no ulterior motives, no secret agenda. You’re a kid who seems to be a little lost. If your brother is coming for you, like you said, then you’re welcome to stay here until he arrives.” She was certainly going to have a talk with him for allowing his younger brother to wander off alone.


While Eason was in the shower she placed his clothes in the wash, noting that it was almost eleven and David still hadn’t awakened. Fiona looked down at him sleeping deeply, sprawled across most of the bed and shook her head slightly. It must be nice to sleep so soundly and without concern. Or thought for anyone else, her subconscious added.

David had been so angry about what happened at the luncheon, that she had allowed him to stay, had even consented to sex, but she hadn’t known that he was sleeping over. He rarely did that, claiming that he hated to be out here in the middle of nowhere and it was too far for him to get back inside the city for work the next morning.

Deciding that Eason would most likely be spending the night, she made the bed in the guest room, and left the clothes she gathered from her dresser. When he walked back into the living room, she had curled up with a mug of cinnamon apple tea and the ledgers for the ranch. She had received several offers to sell, despite the fact that she didn’t want to. Maybe it was for the best. If she married David, there was no need to hold on to this place. It would be a constant reminder of a life she could no longer have. Instead of leasing the land out, perhaps she should just sell it like David had suggested in the first place.

“It’s getting late,” she said and he nodded slightly. “I don’t think your brother is going to make it out here tonight.”

He looked so sad when she said that, perhaps this was another one of his delusions. Eason might not even have a brother and she was doing more harm than good by allowing him to continue believing it. She should have just called the authorities and let them deal with this. When David woke in the morning there was going to be trouble and she hated to expose this sweet kid to David’s temper.

“No, I don’t believe Roarke will make it tonight.” He sighed then nodded once sharply, “but he’s coming for me. I know he will.”

Who was she to shatter his hopes? What harm could it be to let Eason believe that his brother was coming for him for a while longer? Besides, she couldn’t bear having someone come in tonight and take him away. He could sleep in the guest room for the night and she would deal with the rest in the morning after breakfast.

“You’re welcome to sleep in the room where I laid out your clothes,” she smiled and watched his eyes light with laughter.

“It will be nice not to sleep in hay for once.” He grinned and for once looked like a young teenaged boy.

There was one thought that Fiona couldn’t seem to let go. How did Eason get inside the locked stall and re-bolt it from the inside?

*************************************************************************************


© Copyright 2006 danigirl (scii at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1070897-Corsiva