*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1076689-The-Sword-and-the-Soul
by Dakink
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Fantasy · #1076689
Evil attempts to manipulate nations into war. Can the lost be found?
PROLOGUE


         The man straightened in the simple high backed wooden chair. Raising his eyes, he smiled at the figure that gazed listlessly across the harsh pine table at him. In between them, an ornate Battle set dominated not only the table top, but the space between them as well, its impressive figurines angrily reaching for one another. Gently he picked up one of the intricate warriors and studied the craftsmanship with a critical eye.

         “Absolutely flawless,” he whispered, rolling the 6-inch, hand carved solid gold representation of a Mounted Knight in Battle around in his hand. Noticing the tiny diamonds fitted in the eyes of the Knight and his steed, he could only guess at the value of the 32 piece set before him. “It must be good to be the King”

         Reaching deep into his robes he removed an elegant crimson velvet pouch, secured at the top with rich white silk. Untying the knot in the silk, he took out a small piece of folded parchment and a glass vial containing an iridescent blue powder, and placed them on the table. With the care of an aficionado, he placed the gold Mounted Knight into the pouch, tied it and replaced the pouch within his robes. “Consider it a down payment for future services.”

         Gently unfolding the parchment, he read the flowing golden script contained within, pausing only to glance at the shimmering blue powder. Smiling, he mentally reminded himself to give Mother his thanks. Finishing his reading, he glanced at the incapacitated King. “This is personal I’m afraid Your Majesty."

         Reaching over he removed the pewter goblet the king was drinking out of and poured a serve into the vial, watching as the liquid started to bubble. Looking around the King's study, the man searched for the last ingredient for his cocktail, assured that it would be here in abundance. Looking at the Battle Set he smirked, and lifting the golden Battle Queen took a small nick out of its neck, no larger than the tip of a quill. “How appropriate.” He chuckled.

         He dropped the gold in the vial and swirled it around, ensuring the gold dissolved into the liquid. He was surprised at the lack of effect from placing the gold into the mix, expecting froth and gas, but getting neither, yet he followed The Mother’s instructions to the letter.

         The man then stood and approached the slumped figure, lifting its head and gently trickling the vials contents down its throat, ensuring that the King only drunk at the rate dictated. When the vial’s contents were gone he refolded the parchment and slid in into the vial, replacing the cork stopper. He then stood and walked over to the cold fire place centering the vial on the logs that had been stacked there for the King's use. Squatting on his haunches the figure began to concentrate, gathering his power as the air about him seemed to still and intensify. Staring intently at the vial, the man whispered a Word and the vial begun to smolder and bubble. Raising his hand palm up, the vial burst into flames and the man smiled, basking in the warmth such gentle use of his power always gave him.

         Gently releasing the fire from his control, the man grabbed an old sword from beside the fire and stirred the embers, making sure there were no remains to be seen of the vial or its contents. Returning to his seat, he retained his power and let it swathe him in warmth. Reaching over he again lifted the Kings goblet and let some of its contents gush over the Kings clothing. Hesitating briefly, as if not wanting to defile the Battle Set, he coated the figures and the table in drink.

         “Now my King, your staff shall think you deep within your cups again, after the most recent tragic loss of your Queen. An act that if I’m not mistaken you have become most famous for since her, shall we say, most tragic accident.”

         Laying the goblet on the Kings side of the Battle Set, careful so as to not get any on himself, he stared intently at the King. Sensing more than seeing the compulsion take hold he begun, “Now you old fool, here is what you are going to do.”
© Copyright 2006 Dakink (dakink at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1076689-The-Sword-and-the-Soul