*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1078922-The-Sacred-Words
Rated: E · Sample · Fantasy · #1078922
Where women rule the written word and men rule the might of armies.
The kingdom of Kal’tothea ruled all lands and seas. The queen kept the written word while the king kept ranks of numbers of men and battles. No man, king, priest or sorcerer was ever allowed to learn or read the writing word, to do so would bring chaos and disorder into the world. The words were given and imbued with the power of the ancient goddesses to women and the gods gave to men the charge of deeds by action. If a man learned to read the words were said to fade from the pages and it was not easy thing to have them replaced.

The queen oversaw all priestesses in every temple in the lands of Kal’tothea. They all answered to her and were appointed by her. At every temple the king’s men served as guardians of the outer walls but, never more than one year while the priestesses served for a lifetime learning the secrets of the written word and never were the men permitted within the inner sanctuaries.

On the island of Oha, farthest from the kingdom and obscure, almost hidden, a small village resided. They were a simple folk who fished, wove lamb’s wool to yarn and gardened in peace. Those of Oha were also ruled by the Kingdom of Kal’tothea however, being so remote the law and order of that kingdom do not weigh so on their lives.

Jaun, a ten year old boy with fair eyes and hair, carried his weekly basket of cheese and fruits to his Aunt Toletta’s home. On the island she was the keeper of word in a small temple no larger than a town hall. She taught the girls the word and would one day choose a replacement by the traditions so ancient it was no more than a commonplace event. Sad though it would be when her time was ended the words taught were only from stories that all knew by hearing.

As Jaun walked the group of girls, five or six, all age twelve or older, passed him by their lessons for the day ending. One of them, Cirinda, smiled maliciously as she always did when he passed by to deliver his goods. "Oh look it’s the little errand boy." The girls stopped with her, some giggling, some not. "What’s this?" Cirinda said as she stepped closer to him and took out an apple from his basked. Jaun didn’t care what she did or why, he simply endured. He knew, as did she, that she would not dare go so far as to damage or take his goods meant for the Priestess Toletta. "Can you say….apple." Cirinda over-pronunciated the word apple with exaggerated movements of her mouth. "He can’t even talk." Cirinda laughed quickly and slipped the apple back into his basket while Jaun stared at her but did nothing.

"I can talk." He then said. Usually he said nothing and Cirinda would walk away feeling superior but, he was in a mood today. His reaction clearly caught her off guard and earned him a stare of hatred.

"But you cannot read." She said with smugness always making sure she had the last word. "And I have even completed my studies before the summer plantings begin." She turned quickly with her head vainly held in the air. The last girl to walk away, a blond girl with blue eyes and slight of frame smiled softly at him her face blushing. She was ashamed of the way he was treated. Jaun smiled back in return.

Jaun continued his way to Aunt Toletta’s home, a small building behind the modest temple. He knocked on the door.

"Come in Jaun!" Her voice sounded high but smooth, not shaky as most elders. He opened the door with his free hand and slipped inside. Jaun set his basket of goods on the table in the room that served as kitchen, sleeping and eating area and then sat at one of the chairs. "I have some fresh goat’s milk for you." Aunty Toletta was a small women not even standing five feet high. If Jaun were standing he would only be inches taller than she. She had curly hair, all gray, that hung to her shoulders and a smile that always warmed his day. She set the milk on the table and he took a polite drink of the delicious liquid. "I suppose Cirinda told you how smart she is?" Aunty Toletta’s face changed from cheerfulness to concern as she sat next to Jaun. "She is a headstrong one full of arrogance. I am afraid of what will happen here should I name her my successor but, she is the oldest and brightest of the girls, it has be her should my time come." She smiled at Jaun and patted his hand that was resting on the table. "I would rather it be you my young nephew."

"But Aunt Tolette…" Jaun protested softly.

"Now, now. I know it can never be but, I still fear our stories will be tainted or lost so you must remain true to the bond between you and I alone." She reached into her garments and pulled out a small book and set it before Jaun. "In this book are words in stories Cirinda has not yet comprehended. She is not yet ready for this one." Aunty Toletta had told Jaun before that although Cirinda was smart she was not wise or as intuitive as Jaun. Jaun opened the cover of the book. He knew from Aunty Tolette’s teaching that the first page was the title of the story.

"The Tale of Okanei of Illyndria." He read smoothly and with perfect pronunciation. He looked up at Aunty Tolette to see smiling back.

"Now let’s begin." Aunty Tolette replied as she turned the page.
© Copyright 2006 BrokaanLands (brokaanlands at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1078922-The-Sacred-Words