*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1079475-Music--A-Language-of-the-Heart
by Krits
Rated: E · Essay · Music · #1079475
An essay I wrote last year.
Music: A Language of the Heart

It is said that art imitates life. Perhaps this is the reason that we find such a connection to pieces of literature, whether it be a novel, film, poem or song. I find that it is easiest to relate to a sing, because of its honest simplicity from the song writer. There are many songs that I have heard in my life that I have made a bond with. One such song is “Seventy times seven” by the band Brand New.

As you hear a new song with lyrics so incredibly profound and thought provoking, the hair on your arms tends to stand up and your breath gets caught in your throat, or faint tears prick your eyes. This has been my experience. These feelings are generated by the connection the words in a song have to your personal life. Throughout the song “Seventy times seven”, Jesse Lacey (the singer and songwriter) curses a so-called best friend for betrayal. Because almost every person has experienced some form of betrayal, they are able to connect with the feelings that run through you after such an occurrence. The words “I’ve seen more spine in jellyfish, I’ve seen more guts in eleven-year-old kids. Have another drink and drive yourself home, I hope there’s ice on all the roads and you can think of me when you forget your seatbelt and again when your head goes through the windshield.” is a direct imitation if feelings which I have at times felt, but could not quite express to that gruesome extent.

Songs and other literature can all teach us something. Whether that something is don’t do drugs or how to fake sick and trick your parents and principal, while driving your friend’s dad’s amazingly gorgeous Ferrari. Lessons can be learned anywhere and everywhere. From this incredible, brutally honest song I have learned not only that I am not the only one in the world that has bad experiences and the feelings that are created from those, but that you should share those feelings. Throughout this song it is made obvious that Jesse Lacey has been holding on to this grudge for a long period of time, and his anguished voice and harsh words (such as “don’t apologize! I hope you choke and die!”) are a testimonial to that. From the companion song to this (“There’s no ‘I’ in team” written by John Nolan, whom “Seventy times seven” speaks of) indicates that there are always two sides to a story, and there are always reasons for actions of others, whether they are made known or kept secret.

Music and the lyrics of songs are so important to us as humans, because they seem to speak a language only our hearts can understand. We have all been through days where our emotions are so heavy and strong, that we seem incapable of expressing them. However, through the magical ability of songs and writing, we or others who have the capabilities can break through those brick walls and express those feelings.

Since literature is such a personal form of expression, we are able to connect with it in a greater way. Happenings from our everyday lives seem to have been whispered to song writers, authors, or screenwriters and they just wrote it down from there. Literature is a piece of one’s most earnest feelings writer down for all to see, read or watched. Literature is a connection between ourselves between ourselves and the creators of it, and we should all be indeed grateful for those people sharing their gifts.
© Copyright 2006 Krits (mixtape at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1079475-Music--A-Language-of-the-Heart