*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1083082-Being-a-Parent
Rated: E · Editorial · Experience · #1083082
My own personal opinion on Parenthood
What is that . . .being a parent? Is it chasing your child(ren) around the house all day and half the night? Is it kissing the boo-boos or cleaning up after they've apparently put a bomb in their toy-box and their toys explode all over the house? Is it telling bedtime stories and chasing that ever present 'boogie-man' out of the closet every night?

It's all of that -- those are the responsibilities of being a parent, but it's more than that.

It's teaching them right from wrong, teaching them the responsibilities of life as they grow. Giving them the chance to have some sort of opinion on things that matter to them. It's helping them to understand the trials and tribulations associated with growing up -- especially in these troubled times -- and not suppressing their questions with answers like "When you get older, you'll understand."

If you don't explain why you're crying, they will be scared -- even if you have to tell them when they are little, "Mommy's just having a moment, I'll be fine."

Kids surprise even the most seasoned of parents (The Grandparents!) sometimes, with the things they say, the things they comprehend. They understand a lot more than we give them credit for, yet most parents still try to hide behind some sort of veil, keeping the ugly away from the little innocent eyes.

Sometimes there's just no way to hide what's going on. Kids will pick up on a bit of a conversation you have over the phone, or in the yard with a neighbor, and they will repeat it -- but if you don't clarify what you were talking about, it can confuse both them and whoever they may repeat that to (Kids are the reincarnation of Parrots, didn't you know that?!) It can cause a lot of misconceptions about the parent if a child doesn't understand what they hear.

So, do yourself a favor: Listen to your kids when they talk. Answer their questions when they ask (yes, you may have to consult the Dr. Seuss dictionary to do this sometimes) but don't -- For God's sake-- suppress what they are fighting to learn -- life.

© Copyright 2006 Jypzi Knight (jypziknight at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1083082-Being-a-Parent