*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1087098-The-First-Meeting
by Joslin
Rated: 18+ · Non-fiction · Romance/Love · #1087098
A Magical Meeting
The way we met, was magical (in our eyes anyway). We met on the internet, first. We ran into each other in a chat room, and found that we really enjoyed talking to each other online. There was none of the crazy internet talk going on with us, none of that “age? sex? location?” talk. And, none of that, “what are you wearing” kind of talk! (For those of you who have been on the internet for a while, I am sure you understand very well what I am talking about.)

Back in our internet chat days, Stephen lived in a different state than I. Months into our fun chats, Stephen shared with me that he was relocating to my state. I must say I was pretty excited at the prospect of, maybe, meeting this man that I so enjoyed typing to! How fun it would be to finally put a face to the person that I had shared so many hours with!

Stephen did move. We continued to meet and chat online for a while. We graduated from online chat, to talking on the phone, which was so much easier. I remember the very first time I heard his voice! Wowie! (Stephen has a Sam Elliot like voice!)

After months of talking on the internet, and then talking on the phone, we finally made arrangements to meet in person. The plan was that I would stop by a local park near his house on my way home from work one Friday night. We would sit at the park and talk a while, then go out to dinner. Simple plan!

Neither Stephen, nor I, had any expectations about this face-to-face meeting other than to have a chance to meet with the person we had been spending so much time sharing stories of our lives with. Still, being a woman and all, I brought a nice outfit to work (dress, heels and hose), popped on a bit of makeup, and changed before I headed out to the park.

I called Stephen when I left my office to let him know I was on my way. He instructed me to give him another call when I was closer and he would then walk to the park to meet me there. As I was driving I found myself wondering what he would be like. After all, we were getting along well online and on the phone, and this man sure did make me laugh, but you really just never know anyone until you have some kind of experience with them in person. I wasn’t afraid of meeting this man for the first time. I had my cell phone, people knew where I was, and I had a plan with my sister to call every so often so she would know I was okay. Everything was all set, well planned, and soon I would get a look at this man who would likely become a good friend.

I had no trouble finding the park. I even got there early (again, being a woman and all). . Although I promised to call before I actually got to the park, I chose to call when I got there, thinking that I would have some time to sit for a while, drinking a diet coke, and practicing my first face-to-face hello. Finally, I picked up my cell phone and made the call to let Stephen know that I had arrived. Imagine my surprise when, instead of hearing his voice, I heard only a busy signal! Time slipped by, and there was no sight of the man I was so eager to meet. I checked my watch, again and again. Again, I called his home, to be greeted by a busy signal. Finally, as I sat on a bench at the park, it occurred to me that the man was not going to show up. I was angry! I was hurt! And I cursed the internet! Then, I got back into my car and headed out for the ride home.

As I drove, I thought about all of the conversations I had enjoyed with Stephen. I thought about all of the life experiences we had so easily shared with each other. I thought about the way this man made me laugh, every single time we conversed. I thought about the many times I have been told, by friends and family, that I have an incredible gift – the ability to really sense a person. I have had this ability all of my life, and I must admit that although I have been wrong on occasion, I am right about my feelings about a person about 90% of the time. A dear friend named it my bullshit meter. As I continued my drive, I concentrated on this BS meter. I could not possibly have been so far off about this man!

So….I found a turn lane,and turned my car back toward the park. I told myself that there had to be a logical explanation for the fact that I was not able to get in touch with this man. Of course, I tried the number again, and again got a busy signal! I even thought to call the phone company to check the line, which I was informed was not in use. And still, I drove on.

It had become dark by the time I turned back into the park entrance. A street light spotlighted a figure at the entrance, and I knew it was Stephen. I drove the car up to where the figure stood, and rolled down my window, staring into his eyes. And then, well, I cried (being a woman and all). He reached his hand down and opened my door, and then offered me his hand. I took it, and he gently led me out of the car. “Where have you been”, he asked? “Here”, I answered and smiled. I told him that I had been calling and calling. He pulled me to him, and whispered, “The names you must have been calling me”! And I laughed.

Back to his house we went, so that I could freshen up before dinner. As soon as we entered his house, we both went right to his telephone. Looking at the phone, it sure did look like it was hung up on its cradle, but inspecting it thoroughly we found that it was just a fraction off the cradle, which caused me to get a busy signal. I called my sister to let her know that all was well, and we headed out to have dinner and drinks.

I am so grateful for this BS Meter gift! I hadn’t let me down this time. Yes, I was right! I was sure that this man would become a good friend, and he did. And then I married him!

Now and then, as we hold onto each other, he will whisper, “I am so glad that you came back to the park” or I will look into his smiling eyes and say, “I am so glad I turned around that night.”

Not very surprising, I suppose, that we both believe in destiny!
© Copyright 2006 Joslin (joslin at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1087098-The-First-Meeting