*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1088003-Dordalyns-Betrayal
Rated: ASR · Short Story · Fantasy · #1088003
Short story of Dordalyn's betrayal in Fallasee.
The image prompt that created the story.


"Caution, Torento, caution." Serena prayed, sending her thoughts into the crystal ball.

She could see Torento in the crystal, close to Dordalyn, almost near enough to snatch the Sun medallion from the gold thick-linked chain around Dordalyn's neck. Serena pressed her chilled shaking hands together, closed her deep green eyes and plead to the Gods for help. Torento and the crane maidens were Serena's only chance to restore order to her land. Each hour the Sun medallion was out of place, the days and nights became colder.

When the land went dark, Serena went to Effie to find out what was wrong and was shocked to learn of Dordalyn's betrayal. (Effie's real name was Effulgence, but everyone called her Effie.) Dordalyn wooed Effie, making her believe she was his one true love. When Effie embraced him, Dordalyn snatched the golden Sun medallion and escaped to the remote lands in Fallasee. Effie was overcome with pain and anger and lay lifeless in her meadow of the Sun. The sun went into eclipse and the once verdant land went cold and dim.

In desperation, Serena wove some of her most powerful incantations and forged the entire land of Fallasee into the crystal ball. It was the only way to keep Dordalyn from controlling the sun. The crystal enclosure stopped the power of the medallion from reaching the sun. Now all Serena could do was wait and pray that Torento would rescue the medallion. Serena now stood in her cove and gazed into the gleaming ball to watch the outcome of her actions.

In the crystal she could see Torento, the small fur-covered dwarven, hiding behind a tree right near Dordalyn. He was a magical dwarven, with the unusual power to change the shade of his fur, like a chameleon. Torento was old, the hair on his head now gray and unable to change, which made it visible as Torento crept closer. Serena feared Torento would be discovered.

Torento heard Serena's thoughts as he crept closer and Serena's words made him feel brave. He knew Serena was counting on him. He hoped that the crane maidens flying at the edge of the woods would distract Dordalyn and allow him a chance to grab the medallion. Dordalyn was screaming curses into the sparkling crystal sky. Dordalyn already found the key, which, if inserted into the lock deep in the caverns of the mountains, would release Fallasee from Serena's magic. The power of the Sun medallion had helped him find it so quickly. Torento knew he had to rescue the medallion before Dordalyn reached the caverns.

"I have the key Serena, I will be released and in control!" Dordalyn screamed, spittle flying from his lips. "You'll pay for this." He ranted and waved the key at the crystal sky. It was apparent Dordalyn had gone quite mad. Dordalyn had once been a fierce protector of the forests of Fallasee, but now threatened to destroy the entire land. The power of the medallion had distorted Dordalyn's mind, causing him to act against his nature.

Torento held his breath and crept closer; matching his fur color to the bark of the tree. He would rather die than disappoint his queen Serena. He could hear the crane maidens calling to Dordalyn. The moment was near, Torento would only have one chance to surprise Dordalyn.

"This way Dordalyn, this way," they called in high, flutelike voices. The maidens flew in circles, trying to help Torento. Being sun creatures, the maidens wouldn't fly into the dimmest part of the woods, but they were doing their best to draw the betrayer past Torento.

Dordalyn tucked the key beneath his arm and began to trot alongside the tiny tinkling stream that lead to the caverns. As he approached the clearing, he waded through a large patch of ferns, some as tall as Dordalyn's waist. Among the brush was Torento, now colored green like the ferns, crawling to overtake Dordalyn as he waded through the tall fronds. The Sun medallion was tugged from the heavy chain without Dordalyn's notice. Torento rolled into an emerald ball within the ferns, hiding the Sun medallion in his embrace. He sent victorious thoughts to his queen, Serena.

Dordalyn reached the clearing, and looking up at the crane maidens flying above, shook his fist and waved his key in the air. One of the maidens, dipping low near Dordalyn, asked him about the medallion.

"Where is your Sun, little man?" She teased as she flew past him.

"Right here!" Dordalyn reached to the chain to show off his prize. Then he began to pat his chest where it had been. "My medallion! I've lost the medallion!" He shrieked. He turned around and around, looking for the golden sun-shaped disk. Screaming, he dropped the key and trotted back toward the woods, paying no attention to the crane maiden as she dropped to the ground to retrieve the key. With it, she quickly flew to safety, high in the sky.

Smiling, Serena gazed into the crystal ball. Her friends were victorious. It was growing so cold this night; even the fire behind her barely warmed her. She needed to get the Sun medallion to Effie as quickly as possible. She grasped the crystal ball in her hands, her cold-stiffened fingers struggling to hold it above her head.

In a strong voice she incanted, "Fallasee, return to me but leave the betrayer behind."

With that, Fallasee was returned to its natural state, the flora and fauna peaceful again. Gazing into the ball, she could see Dordalyn, in the middle of a primal scream, frozen in the crystal. Sadly, Serena walked to the edge of the cliff, and raising the ball above her head, threw it with all her angry might into the rocky surf. The crystal shattered into a million fragments and disappeared into the sea foam.

Torento had returned to Serena's side and watched as she destroyed Dordalyn and the crystal. "He'll never be a worry again."

Serena rested her hand on Torento's soft shoulder. "Torento, you have saved Fallasee. You are a most valued servant." Torento knelt at her feet. "You shall remain my most favored friend and advise me on important matters." She smiled as he blushed to the ends of his fur.

Serena looked up as the beautiful crane maidens landed and also knelt. "To you, my dear maidens, I bestow beauty and longevity to you and your children. You will find companions in treetops of Fallasee and no longer be alone." The maidens murmured their thanks and flew off to find their new mates.

Looking wan, Effie arrived at the cove to Serena's summons. She stood, listless, waiting Serena's admonishment. Gently, Serena pressed the Sun medallion to Effie's cold limp hands. Instantly the eclipse over the sun began to fade and the beautiful colors of the sunset filled the cove. The cliffs glowed with the violets and reds of sunset. Effie's face was lit with joy and Serena smiled as her world became right again.

© Copyright 2006 Legerdemain (legerdemain at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1088003-Dordalyns-Betrayal