*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1088457-Simon-Peter-Introductions
by notleo
Rated: E · Fiction · Religious · #1088457
First of a series of short stories showing the life of Jesus through Peter's eyes
“You are Peter, and upon this Rock I will build my Church.” Matt 16:17


On the water, a single boat bobbed up and down, as the crew pulled in a net. The boat was simple, possibly serving its fifth generation of fishermen. It had a single mast with its sail tied down. The old wood, brought from up north in Assyria, creaked against the slow waves slapping against it. The rudder, the boat’s third so far, still looked older than the boat.

More and more of the net came into the boat. Each pull by the four fishermen brought an extra 4 feet of net aboard, far faster than it should for its size. A fish fell out of it and bounced along the deck. Another fisherman picked up the fish. It was barely 3 inches long. The fisherman’s face turned sour. He threw the fish back into the water.

One of the net handlers saw the fish go back into the water. He dropped his net and turned around. The other handlers had no problem picking up his slack. He ran up to the master of the boat, “Simon! What do you think you’re doing? That was a fish you threw back!”

Simon looked up from the water and swore to himself before answering, “It wasn’t even worth our time to bring it in. Maybe it’ll feed what few fish are left.” He ignored Benjamin’s attempt at a reply, and turned to the rest of the net handlers, “James! Put the net away, we’re going back in.”

The boat turned back towards the shore, 20 miles away. It unfurled its sail, moving with the breeze. Simon looked out over the Sea of Galilee. Once, this lake provided countless fish to Yahweh’s people, allowing them to conquer the gentiles. The holy warriors spread God’s might beyond the horizons. Now they returned to a town full of his conquered people. They didn’t even have any fish to feed his own people, let alone feed the Roman legions that replaced God’s army in the Holy Land.

Sometimes staying out on the water after all the others had gone in let Simon remove himself from the problems at home, from his hungry children and sick family. Out here, it was as if he was traveling back in time hundreds of years. He could see Joshua leading his People along the shore. He could see King David encamped along the coast while warships trained on the water. In the encampment, the Ark of the Covenant kept God’s promise to His People safe. Even visions of the victorious Macabeeans on their way home from defeating the last of the Greek phalanx crossed his vision.

The birds overhead shared the same stories they did those hundreds of years ago. The water carried the same sacred promises of the Lord. The sky and stars brought the same wisdom and awe they did to his ancestors. Out here, one could remember the glory God shined down on his people. Until they threw a net into the waters.

They got about halfway back to the shore when Simon jumped up and pulled the rope to the sail free. It collapsed onto the deck. Benjamin, counting the dozen fish for the tenth time, screamed, “Simon, what are you doing!”

Simon ignored him, “John, get off the rudder and get the net!” He walked over to his partner, “James?”

James kept looking out over the water, “I can feel it too, Simon. I’ll get started.” James and a helper started unfolding the net.

Simon went to the back of the boat and started maneuvering the boat against the current. He ordered the net deployed over the starboard side. Almost immediately, the boat jerked to the right. The boat started skidding across the water. Now even Benjamin got up and rushed to the net. Simon threw the anchor out and joined the net handlers. Even with all five of them pulling they couldn’t get the whole net onto the deck. They had to release about half the catch.

All the men, except John, started screaming in delight. James turned to Simon, who nodded back. James and John threw the net back into the water, and this time the boat nearly capsized when the school of fish entangled themselves in the net. They did this a couple more times, even after the sun was set and the lamps were lit. With fish pouring over the gunwales, Simon finally ordered the boat back to shore.

Approaching the shore, James yelled out to the dockhands to grab as many marketers as possible. The chief dockhand, Micah, yelled back, “We’re not falling for that one again! The other boats came in 8 hours ago.” When James tilted one of the lamps down towards the deck, the dockmaster’s jaw dropped. He rushed off to get help.

As soon as the fishing boat docked, Simon jumped down off the piles of fish. Townspeople and fellow fishermen ran up and slapped Simon on the back. Everybody wanted to know where they found so many fish. One yelled out, “Simon, you dog, where the hell did you find so many fish. Don’t tell me you got this throughout the whole day. They weren’t there this morning.”

Another commented, “Looks like we eat more than just bread tonight, and the rest of the week by the looks of it.”

A woman said, “You better hurry and sell your goods before the taxman shows up. He’s too busy getting fat at home to have heard the news.”

Yet another, “Simon and the sons of Zebedee, the miracle workers of Galilee!”

A seven year old boy ran up to the docks, and Simon scooped up his son. “Do you want to help us with the work, son?” His son gave him an emphatic nod. Simon grabbed one of the biggest fish and threw it to his wife. “Wife, cook this up for supper. I know it’s late, but this is a time for celebration.”

As the boat finished unloading, the crowd moved back to their homes to celebrate their good fortune. James started counting all the denari they collected, while John tied down the boat. Simon continued to receive congratulations as he packed away what was left of the fish to be sold at market the next day.

A man walked up to replace the missing crowd. He approached Simon’s boat and looked it over. He moved his hands across its bow. He breathed in the fishy air and let out a slight cough. He then walked to the end of the pier and stared out over the darkened water. He started to move his lips. Though whispering, it was as if his words were carried across the entire length of the lake. He closed his eyes and continued whispering, stretching out his arms.

Simon saw the man and tapped his shoulder, “Can I help you, stranger?”

The man spoke a few more words then turned to Simon. “No, it is I who will help you. You are a successful fisherman. You are Simon, son of Jonah?”

Simon looked over the man. He definitely didn’t recognize him. He dressed like a tradesman, and his accent sounded Nazarene. Why would a craftsman visit a poor fishing village, Simon thought. Simon replied, “If you think I’m successful because of this one catch, you’re sadly mistaken. We got lucky.”

“Luck is often confused with the works of the Father,” said the stranger.

Simon wanted to just leave this man and return to his family, but he couldn’t move. He could hear James call to him from the shore but couldn’t respond. He felt two others come up behind him. He heard James say, “Simon, what’s wrong? Who is this man?”

Simon answered, “I don’t know.”

John, normally quiet, walked up to the stranger. “Hello, my name is John. That there is my older brother James and his partner, Simon. Simon and James took over the boat from our father, Zebedee.”

The man smiled. “You caught a great catch today. You were once fisherman, but I will make you fishers of men. However, first, I have traveled very far today and am hungry. Simon, may I share in your bounty tonight?”

Simon responded, “Uh, yes, yes, come with me. We’re done here and I’ve given my wife a large fish to cook. Please, dine with us. James, John, will you be joining us?”

James nodded and the four men walked to Simon’s house, sharing their thoughts only with themselves. When they got to the house, the door burst open before he could open it himself. His brother Andrew stood in the doorway, “Simon! Simon, you’re home. I’ve missed you, brother.”

Simon stood there, shocked. “Andrew? But…”

Andrew cut him off, “I’m sorry, brother, come on in. I’ve returned with him. I told him to wait, but he insisted on meeting you on the docks. Simon, I’ve found him!”

Simon followed his excited brother into the house, “Found who?”

Andrew motioned to the stranger. “I take it Joshua already introduced himself to you. I mean, I didn’t know what I’d find on the Jordan. John was a great teacher, but I never expected to find him. You should have been there, Simon. The clouds opened up…it was like, like a reading straight out of Daniel or Samuel.”

Simon grabbed Andrew, “Andrew, slow down. What are you talking about?”

Andrew leaned in to whisper into Simon’s ear, “I found the Messiah. Even the Baptist admitted as much.”

Simon, dumbfounded, pulled back.

Joshua ushered in the crowd towards the kitchen, “Simon, your brother is just a little over-zealous. I don’t know how you could ever keep up with him. I am sorry. My name is Joshua of Nazareth. Now, what is that smell? Could that be heaven or dinner I’m smelling?”

Simon’s wife looked up from the table, “Simon, who is your friend? If he keeps talking the way he does, he can eat with us every night. And your brother’s home, Simon. This is truly a glorious night.”

Joshua took a seat at the table, “Madame, you don’t know how right you are.”
© Copyright 2006 notleo (notleo at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1088457-Simon-Peter-Introductions