*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1088940-Hyphens
Rated: 18+ · Short Story · Drama · #1088940
a girl at the farm tells it like it is
Adam was such a jerk the other day. Most people won't believe me. Grrr... It wasn't like it was my fault. I took the "precious" document to the printers, but the stupid clerk was freaking out and she demanded that I have an id in order to process the job. Naturally, I thought I should take it to another printer. But I guess I shouldn't have because his boss found out about everything and now Adam's looking for another job. He still has his current job, but the boss is making it hell for Adam. It's still not my fault. Adam can print his own freaking documents. I'm not his secretary. I'm not even sure I'm his girlfriend. We haven't slept together for a long time. Adam thinks it's unhealthy to have sex more than four times a year. But it's not like I'm a golddigger or anything. I really am working on being committed for sure. But I hate when Adam pulls this 'better-praise-Mr.-Adam-with-a-cherry-on-top attitude and it's about all I can bear.

Well, I guess I may as well tell you all about it since we're both waiting for Mr. Wait-here-and-don't-tell-anyone-a-thing-so-we-can-get-out-of-here-in-a-hurry.

Don't go thinkin' I'm a give-me-pretty-things-or-I'll-die kind of girl. I was raised on a farm. A real farm with cows and horses and such. Well, Adam calls it a ranch, but we did have cows. You might not believe this but I won the Pretty Little Gal contest five years in a row once. Until stupid Hattie Thompson moved in and then <i> everybody </i> had to pay attention to her. But that's another story. I left the farm when I was eighteen. I found my niche in radio right away. Darla's Second Helpings...that's what they called it. Oh, I'm gettin' off track. Well, anyway, I was at the station for three years when up out of the blue walks in an old girlfriend from high school hanging on Adam's arm. I put on my prittiest smile and within minutes Adam was hooked. He claims that he loved me at first sight, but I know my little charms were the clincher for sure.

We went to a park and made out for a while and then Adam took me to dinner. I told him all about growin' up on a farm and he told me about how he'd just moved to the city, found a job at a local shop and was starting to check out the ladies in the area. I told him he could stop checking and he said ok. So then we spent a lot of time together. I kind of showed him the ropes, though, thinking 'bout it, that was kind of weird, 'cause I barely knew the ropes myself. But we had fun. Two weeks after I met him, the station didn't want me anymore. Some stupid deal with some stupid agent or something. I wanted to get out anyway...people can be so stupid. So I didn't have much to do, so I kinda started hanging out with Adam while he was at work. His coworkers loved me. I showed them how I really could fit in there, but they never could really hire me 'cause I was Adam's girlfriend, so I just stayed on for free. It killed lots of time, and gave me tons of time with Adam.
One day out of the blue, Adam's boss presented him with the Stevenson project. Stevenson was a local businessman who had made it big somewhere and needed some documents drawn up. Adam says it was just him, but I know it was 'cause everybody said WE were a good team. I didn't really do much, though. I didn't want to mess up Adams "opportunity". He claimed he couldn't even talk about it more than the name of the contract. I knew he was full of it, but didn't feel like getting into it. But that day was a bad one.
Adam woke up with a bit of a cold. He had a fever, but it didn't prevent him from getting up on time and watching his precious show. But then he started saying he felt sick, so I made a warm towel wrap. He listened to some music and it gave me a headache. So I used the towel wrap for myself and then Adam got mad. He barely got dressed and left, slamming the door. Normally I could have let him go and not cared a bit, but the sound echoed throughout the whole building, irritating my headache even further. Gosh, he can be so stupid. Well, as I was lying down, rubbing my temples, trying to get rid of my headache, I noticed that Adam had left his papers. So I got up, got ready and headed towards the city. On the way, of course, I ended up running into some guy who demanded that I stay while he got out a cheap-o camera to "take pictures". Stupid live-by-the-books-so-I-can-mess-up-someone-else's-life people like that shouldn't be allowed in public. I'm feeling worse all over after that, so I sat and chilled at a cafe. I called Adam and he gave me crap about how he'd tried to call me at home and why didn't I turn on the answering machine. So I told him that I wouldn't bring the papers if he was going to treat me like that. I seriously started crying over a cup of coffee.
It's funny how stupid things come along and mess everything up. Adam and I had had fights worse than this, but it seemed like this one got worse the harder we tried to work on it. After I cried a little, I called him and told him I'd bring the papers and we could talk after he got home. Then he told me some stupid thing about how all MY drama had put him behind and he needed things printed. He told me where to go and everything. And everything from there's kinda like I said. 'cept that Adam decided he was through and we were through, and he hit me. So I called the cops. And now I have to spend the time here waiting for him to pay and be released, but I'm not sure I want to.
© Copyright 2006 WritingBug3 (gaprofcomm at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1088940-Hyphens