*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1089481-Lessons-in-Betrayal-Chapter-Two
Rated: 13+ · Novel · Thriller/Suspense · #1089481
Best friends become bitter enemies. Blood boils when strange telepathy is practiced.
Chapter 2

Hack made a pot of coffee in the garage/basement of the split level ranch that he came to work on. It was 6:45. Another ten minutes and Jim would be here ready to work. Hack poured himself a cup of coffee and added what looked like two spoons of dry creamer, then sat on the lumber pile to wait for Jim. He needed to use Jim's cell phone to call Dave. The excitement that was boiling inside him would not be satisfied until he shared his find with him.
Dave Peterson is Hack's best friend. They met in junior high school when Hack beat off the two thugs that were trying to take Dave's lunch money. Dave was considered a geek in school because he was a straight-A student and kept to himself. He was often the object of ridicule and constant torment. When Hack stepped into his life things changed. Hack was no prom king, but he was well liked because of his witty sense of humor and he knew how to fight.
Dave is married to a beautiful woman named Margaret, and the father of two wonderful kids; Kaylynn, a pretty fourteen year old tom boy with her father's intelligence, and David Junior, eight, who is the spitting image of his father. Dave lives about two miles outside of town in a modest two story Cape Cod that he designed himself. He is a freelance architectural designer and makes a comfortable living. Margaret works at the local bank as the regional manager. She's the only reason hack has a sixty day extension. It's not the first time Dave and Margaret have bailed him out of trouble. Although they are close with Hack, they gave up lending him money and participating in his schemes. If they only knew the impact Hack was about to have on their lives.
Dave answered his cell phone on the second ring.
"Good morning Jim, how are you?"
"Hey sketch man, how's your wife and my kids?"
"Hack, is that you? When are you sending support? What are you doing up this time of day? Did your bed catch on fire?"
"Very funny Dave,... hey, listen Dave; can you meet me at lunch time? I've got something you might be interested in."
"Hack, I don't want to buy any soap, we still have a case from last month."
"No Dave, this is serious. On my way to work this morning I found something in the creek bed between my house and town. I want you to look at it just to verify that I'm not losing my mind. Besides, I thought you might be interested."
Hack thought he heard a sudden intake of breath through the phone when he mentioned his find. Dave must be excited... or was it fear?
"Sure Hack, I'll meet you. You're at the split level on the edge of town?"
"Yes... and Dave?"
"What Hack?"
"Could you bring me a sub from Rosie's?"
"Hack, you are pathetic!"
"Love you too Dave, bye."
Dave hung up the phone and stared at the keypad and wondered if Hack caught the panic he felt when he mentioned the creek bed.
Jim returned from lunch and found Hack sitting at his usual perch on the lumber pile. Only this time he was holding the computer that he found this morning. Jim wasn't a superstitious person, but from the moment he saw the ADA he felt a sense of foreboding that he could not shake.
"Here Mike," he said as he threw him a sub. "I went to Rosie's for lunch and didn't see Dave, so I figured you didn't eat anything."
"Thanks Jim, I owe you one."
"The only thing you owe me is a promise to take that thing to Baker's office as soon as you leave here."
"Alright boss, I will." Hack absent mindedly unwrapped the sub while he continued to examine the computer.
"This is weird; there is no identification anywhere on this thing. It doesn't have a scratch on it...there is only one file on it and it's encrypted.
Look at this icon Jim, its two swords crossed over a crescent moon. Does it mean anything to you?"
Jim looked over his shoulder and suppressed a shudder. He didn't know why, but he had a bad feeling concerning this computer. Maybe he was too old fashioned. He didn't have a lot of faith in new technology anyhow.
"I've seen it before...but I can't place it," Jim said hiding his discomfort.
"Same here, I can't place it either, but I know I've seen it more than once.
And look... there aren't even any programs other than what it comes with. It seems that if someone was to spend that much money on something, they would put their name and address all over it, I know I would."
"Michael, I want you to do the right thing. Take it to the sheriff's office, you can leave around two o' clock... and take my truck. My wife is picking me up... so you can bring my truck back tomorrow."
"But Jim, do you know what this could mean to Dave?"
"Yes, I do. But think of what it means to whoever lost it. Now you are going to do something right for once in your life by taking it to Baker."
"You're right, as usual. I'll be a good boy and do as daddy says."
"Did any one ever tell you that you were a smart ass?"
"As a matter of fact, every day Jim, but only you."
Jim walked up the stairs and out of the basement to the first floor of the split level ranch. Eric and Steve, the other carpenters, were already back to work by the sounds of the saw and the nail gun.
While Hack finished his sub, he realized he wasn't surprised Dave didn't show up. After all the ventures he lured Dave and Margaret in to, they didn't take him too serious anymore.
Hack decided it was going to be a long day hoping to find Dave before he stopped at the sheriff's office. But at the time, he had no idea how long the day would turn out to be.
© Copyright 2006 Floyd Armlin (tarmlin1 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1089481-Lessons-in-Betrayal-Chapter-Two