*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1090277-Untitled-as-of-yet
Rated: 13+ · Novel · Detective · #1090277
This is the start of my 1st novel. Its about 2 detectives chasing a serial killer.
Chapter 1

"Midnight," I muttered as I looked at the clock. "Why is it that I can't get anything done unless it's after midnight." I tied my satin robe around me and walked over to look out the screen door. The cool rain had come to take away the heat of another humid Summer night. I leaned against the door frame and watched as the soft raindrops sizzled on the hot sidewalk. A quiet peace semmed to overcome me as lightning lit up the night sky.
I smiled to myself as I looked back at the term paper that I was supposed to be doing. I'll never get anything done this way, I thought. I stood there for a few more minutes, then shut and locked the door behind me. "I've got to get this done," I exclaimed as I walked back over to the couch. "I have to get this done," I murmurred again. Slowly, I shuffled through my notes, looking at what little information that I had found. "It's not enough," I laughed as I sat back on the couch, looking for the remote control. After I found it between two cushions, I surfed the channels trying to find something to watch. "At least it isn't due until next week." I smiled as I pulled a blanket off the back of the couch. "Damn, I'm tired." It was then that my two cats decided to come out of hiding.
"Where have you two been all night?" My Siamese babies, Mina and Maya answered in their best voices. They climbed up on the sofa and plopped themselves on either side of me. I snuggled under the covers as I settled on watching a movie I'd seen at least a dozen times before. I dropped the remote on the floor and embraced the familiar landscape in front of our eyes. It wasn't long before I drifted off to sleep, a peaceful moment in what was always a truly chaotic life.
I don't know how long I had beenn asleep when I heard the sound of my phone ringing. I looked at the clock as I sat up. It was three AM. My heart raced as I reached for the reciever, knowing what a call on my day off meant.
"Talk to me."



© Copyright 2006 Christieavon (christieavon at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1090277-Untitled-as-of-yet