*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1092642-Something-Borrowed
by Shylah
Rated: E · Short Story · Emotional · #1092642
Of life and loss and carrying on.
It was a bright sunny morning. Eve Hunt waited patiently by the large store mirror for her friend Nadine Evans to emerge from trying the next wedding dress on. Having already made her choice, Eve was trying to encourage Nadine.
‘Do I need to send out a search party?’ Eve teased lightly.
‘Just a minute,’ Nadine’s voice was muffled, she yanked the curtain back. ‘I need help with this.’
‘Sure,’ Eve quickly helped Nadine pin her veil. It reached almost to her elbows. ‘Perfect, Dean will flip.’
‘I know.’ Nadine turned to the shop assistant. ‘I’ll take this one.’

At the shop counter a few minutes later, back in regular clothes, Nadine and Eve waited while the shopkeeper completed the sale. Nadine extracted her purse from inner jacket pocket.
‘Ouch.’ Dropping her arm, Nadine grimaced in pain.
‘Are you ok?’
‘I’m fine.’ Nadine paid, picking up her purchase. ‘Let’s go. Dean and James are expecting us for lunch.’ Smiling at the shop assistant, Nadine breezed out. Eve followed looking concerned.

Several weeks later, Nadine has been admitted to the hospital for tests to ensure she’s still in remission. Eve had been given the all clear the week before. That night, Eve visited.
Sitting down beside Nadine’s bed, she smiled. ‘How’d the tests go?’
‘I want to talk to you.’
‘Sure, about what?’
‘The wedding.’
‘Everything’s going to plan.’ Eve smiled confidently. ‘The final fittings are in two weeks.’
‘I called it off. It’ll only be you and James now.’
‘You did what?’
‘I’m not going to make it to the date. The doctors told me earlier.’
‘We’ll bring it forward.’
‘No.’
‘I………’
Nadine hushed Eve firmly. ‘I’m being realistic. I don’t want my marriage to be the shortest on record and Dean agrees.’
Eve sat there mutely, giving Nadine the chance to continue talking, but for her, shock was setting in and she didn’t trust her voice.
‘See that box?’ Nadine continued. Eve followed her pointing hand. On the chair opposite sits a shoebox. ‘I had Dean bring it in. But I wanted to tell you alone. He’ll be back shortly.
With effort, Eve forced herself to stand and retrieved the box, returning to her seat. Lifting the lid she saw Nadine’s veil inside.
‘I know you bought a headpiece but I’d like you to wear my veil at the wedding.’
‘But......’ Eve managed.
‘Promise me.’
‘I promise.’
‘Thank you.’
Eve stood, clutching the box. ‘I better go and let you rest.’ She was going to lose it, she knew, and didn’t want to around Nadine. This wasn’t fair. Smoothing Nadine’s hair back, Eve kissed her forehead before moving to the door. Just outside, she passed Dean Grey. Biting her lip, Eve scurried away.

Three months later the day had arrived, bright and sunny. Inside her childhood bedroom, and wearing her wedding dress without headpiece, Eve sat hunched over, staring despondently at the closed shoebox, which sat on the dressing table in front of her alongside her tiara of silk flowers. She barely noticed the light breeze streaming through plain net curtains from the single open window.
‘Are you ready?’
Eve stiffened as she heard her mother’s voice outside the door.
‘Yes mum. You can come in.’
The door creaked open and Mrs Hunt entered. She smiled at her daughter, encouragingly. ‘You have to finish dressing. It’s almost time to go.’
‘I know.’ Eve extended a shaky hand and then withdrew.
‘Do you want me to do it?’
‘No. I promised Nadine.’
Taking a deep breath, Eve extended her hand determinedly. Breaking tape she lifted the lid. Touching the veil with one finger Eve withdrew as if shocked. Both hands shaking harder now, she tried again, lifting it carefully from box.
‘Mum, can you pin it for me?’ Eve scooted her chair around, facing away from the mirror.
‘Yes.’
Eve flinched as the veil made contact with her head.

A minute later, the door opened again. Her two bridesmaids entered. Distracted, Mrs Hunt and Eve glanced towards them.
‘Hello Jean, Eileen. Is everything set?’
‘Of course mum. But I’d like you to come and check something. It’ll only take a minute.’ Eileen took her mother’s arm.
‘B-But. ‘
‘Please?’
‘I can finish it.’ Jean Grey offered, picking up a pin.
‘Fine,’ Nancy looked uneasy, as if railroaded into handing it over.

Eileen led her from the room. As the door closed, Eve sagged, her elbows on knees.
‘I can’t. Can you swap it for my headpiece?’ Eve pointed to the silk flower tiara.
‘No.’ Jean tilted Eve’s head up to look into her eyes. ‘You can do this Eve. Dean’s expecting to see it.’
‘How can I? I’ll face a number of people who knew her, wearing this. I do want to marry James, but feel so guilty.’
‘I understand.’ Jean lowered her hand. ‘Now, straighten up and let me finish pinning the veil.’
‘Ok.’
Quickly Jean set to work deftly. Finished, she stepped back, pulling veil over Eve’s face, fluffing it and smoothing the lines.
‘It’s all done now. Come and stand over here.’ Jean tugged Eve over to the mirror. Unable to avoid it, Eve stared at her reflection.
‘It looks good doesn’t it, just like the veil was made for that dress.’
‘Yes,’ Eve whispered, tears sparkling in her eyes.
‘We better go.’ Jean opened the door.
‘Eve?’ Mr Hunt called from the hallway.
‘Yes Dad?’
‘Everyone’s ready for us.’
‘I’m coming.’
Mr Hunt stepped into the doorway. ‘Fine, shall we then?’
Jean started to withdraw. ‘I’ll wait in the living room.’ She quickly left.
‘May I have this pleasure?’ Mr Hunt offered Eve his arm. They both walked from the room.

Standing at the double patio doors leading out into the garden a few minutes later, Eve waited for the signal to step through. Jean was nearly halfway along and Eileen quietly waited for her cue. The garden was filled with chairs as their guests sat waiting. As Eileen moved forward, Mr Hunt came alongside Eve and offered his arm. As she took it, the music changed and together they began walking. She could see James waiting. Dean and her brother Mark had taken their places alongside him. Hope rising in her chest for the first time that morning, Eve moved towards her future that seemed to blend with the past as she carried both.
© Copyright 2006 Shylah (shylah at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1092642-Something-Borrowed