*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1092753-EGGS
Rated: E · Short Story · Children's · #1092753
flash fiction entry 300 words max
EGGS




“Okay boys and girls,” the Easter Bunny emcee called, “is everyone ready?”

A chorus of yeah’s and yayyyy’s followed as the youngster’s and their parents lined up to start. My granddaughter Crystal in her new Easter dress and I were among them. I had to smile at the serious look on her little five year old face as she looked left and right, sizing up her competition.

I supposed she was enjoying herself, her mother was pretty much the same at that age, serious to a fault most of the time. Now she was a successful attorney in Washington, one of the foremost lawyers in the capital.

“Okay, READY! SET! GO!!” the giant bunny commanded. A flurry of little pink dresses and handsome suits dashed in all directions. As they scurried off searching the bushes and grasses, I noticed most of the faces were just as set in seriousness.

Forty-five minutes later I was relieved to see Crystal, struggling towards me with her basket. When she drew near I could see why, her basket almost overflowing with treasures.

“Look grandma,” she called, her face lit with a smile, “see? I got a lot!”

“You sure do,” I said, “lets go over to our blanket and look at them.”

As she took each colorful eggs out of the basket, she showed them to me and carefully set them on the blanket. Reaching the bottom and last egg, she held it up. “This one isn’t very pretty,” she said holding up a dirty brownish duck egg.

“Oops,” she said as it slipped from her fingers. An almost visible cloud of putrid awfulness rose from the rotten eggs contents. “ewwww that’s stinky!”

I had to agree as my breakfast rose up my throat, spewing from my mouth against my will.


© Copyright 2006 E E Coder (ecoder at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1092753-EGGS