*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1096183-The-Mistake
by katbb3
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · LGBTQ+ · #1096183
A woman lives the longest day of her life, waiting to come clean to her partner.
         The city loved these days. These days were so few in Dallas. They were perfect. 70 degrees, sunny, a nice soft breeze, the perfect day for the lone star state. But not to Sara, not today anyway, she barely noticed the almost endless blue sky as she walked through the door of her office. This was bad, worse than bad and worse than the time before. How was she going to tell Jill what she had done?

         Sara had been with Jill for a year now and the relationship was surprisingly solid. It was perfect, no bumps, explosions and no secrets. No major fights, they always seemed to have the same priorities. They moved in together after just 2 months of dating, they were meant for each other. She knew they just fit. That’s why it was going to be so hard to tell her what she had done. Sara could barely understand it herself, let alone believe it.

         Sara sat at her desk in her cube, she was lucky to have a window for a wall but today she didn’t look out at all. It didn’t matter. She didn’t notice that the wind had begun to pick up or the little man on the radio predicating rain. Her desk was crowded with papers that had lost all meaning. She began to shuffle and reshuffle through the clutter and made a vow to herself that she would never take another vacation or a day off as long as she lived. She mimed her way through a day full of work, going through the motions, constantly thinking back. Memories flowed through her mind like a slide show.
The day she met Jill, the very instant she saw her across the bar was a vivid memory for Sara. She was beautiful, long raven hair flowing down her back, snow-white features, and those Angelina lips, so red. The spent all night on the dance floor together. They even went back to Sara’s apartment, which was a first encounter no-no. Their first Christmas together, curled up before the fire, warm cider in their hands. They way the lights played in Jill’s crystalline eyes. Despite her bold features Jill’s inner peace was the perfect balance for Sara wild ways. Jill was the rock that kept Sara grounded, until last night that is. No rock was that strong she tried to reason.

         Sara got lost in the screen on her computer, trying with no results, to concentrate. The day flew past her with out a second glance. The world turned with out her. At 5:00 she got out of her chair and walked down to her car, her fear becoming real. Not even noticing the ever-darkening northern sky. Texas weather always, moodier than a teenager, and less predictable. She climbed in and started the car up. Sara’s hand was trembling as she reached down and turned off the radio. She drove up Central Expressway towards her Plano apartment in complete silence. Her thoughts deserved to be alone and screaming at her. She didn’t want anything to distract her from the thoughts in her head.
Her heart stopped as she saw Jill’s car parked in front of their home. She was home early. She switched the car off and didn’t even notice the storm clouds on the horizon, closer now than before. The clouds pregnant with rain hung heavily on the skyline. Storms are always worse when they blow in from the north. The lump in her throat grew with each step to their door. She tried to swallow the gear and guilt that kept coming up. She heard a dry click as her trembling key unlocked an already unlocked door. She opened the door and saw her.

         Jill sat on their couch tear paths streaked her cheeks. Her knees were pulled to her chest. A cool breeze caused Sara to shudder as she stood in the door way. Thunder roared behind her, angrily announcing it’s arrival. This one was going to last all night. Her eyes met Jill’s; they were frozen pools of icy blue.
“I know what you did,” Jill declared abruptly, looking up from her knees. Sara shut the door, as the rain began to pour.
© Copyright 2006 katbb3 (katbb3 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1096183-The-Mistake