*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1099212-Bounty-Hunter
by Valor
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Fantasy · #1099212
Battle in the cavern of the great monster. Please read and review
Anticipation mounted as Korg progressed as quietly as his ogre feet would allow him. Spear in hand he ready himself in the doorway to the great cavern, waiting for his sign. Malnor hadn't been specific, but told him only that he would know when to attack.

Peeking into the great cave, he saw the immense creature flailing about in the deep pool that was it's stronghold. Korg was awestruck by the size of the great creature. How would he and one other take down a hydra without magically abilities to back them.

Returning to the cover of the tunnel he had arrived through, korg gripped the heavy spear and inspected it. It was made from dragon bone, making it essential indestructable. Tipped with tooth of the legendary Great white himself, it would undoubtedly penetrate the thick scales of the water beast. Soaked into the shaft was the blood from a pit lizard. Deadly toxic. So much so that Korg had to wear thick glows to protect himself. All he had to do was get a clear shot and the beast would be down, but so keen were the senses of the creature, how ould he ever get close enough.

A low roar gave him the answer. Malnor was the bait. Glancing out from his cover, Korg saw Malnor firing arrows in rapid succession at the huge hydra's head. It weaved, unstruck by any. The beast was so agile for its size, it was almost unbelieveable.

With its back turned, Korg approached slowly, crawling across the ground and hiding behind large boulders. He could feel the cavern shake as the Hydra Screamed its frustration with the ogre.

Korg watched as Malnor dodged attempted blows by the creature. Diving and ducking and then returning several arrows before the next assault.
So fluid were the moves of his fellow warrior, korg almost thought Malnor could defeat the Hydra himself.

So close now, Korg got into position for attack. Malnor had run out of arrows and was running back and forth, drawing all the attention of the beast. Up from hiding, Korg took two large bounds and launched the spear straight for the creature.

Preoccupied with Malnor, the Great beast was caught unsuspecting as the spear split the scales beneath its jaw, burying deep into its skull. With a roar of pain and fury that shook the walls and caused mighty rocks from the room of the cavern to crash down, the Hydra fell to the ground. The fast acting poison took hold, inducing wild thrashing and horrible moaning from the monster.

When at last the beast's throws subsided, Korg walked to find Malnor, wary still of the dead beast. Malnor was disgruntled, half-buried under a pile of debris.

"Could you have waited any longer?" He cried out angrily.

"You had it under control. Besides, did you want a chance at me missing?" Korg smiled and helped Malnor out from the rubble.

"Next time I'll put you in the mouth of death and let you see how comfy it is." Anger ebbing, Malor brushed himself off.

"Atleast now they pay us to do this kind of work." Korg, less worried, nudged the dead creature.

"A pittance to what it should be worth. I'll not come to this foul place again for less than thrice the amount."

It had been a rough couple of days, starting with the camp of goblins that got them an extra 500 Pieces. They had not, however expected the three giants, which they were forced to take down, but were not part of the contract. That was a 1200 piece loss for each one. The prise winner, being the Hydra, would keep them fed for the better part of the next year.

"Being a hero isn't all it's cracked up to be, eh Mal?" Korg finished hacking out the teeth and eyes of the Beast. The teeth for weapons, the eyes for proof of the job, which he put with the satchel of goblin heads.

"Atleast a hero gets reknown. We bounty hunters are tossed aside, we are nothing more than eexpendable nobodys." The all to familiar rant of underappreciation went on as the two ogres exited the cavern, heading back to collect their dues. Korg never complained. The life of a bounty hunter was never dull.
© Copyright 2006 Valor (valorborn at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1099212-Bounty-Hunter