*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1100623-Sarah-Story-One
Rated: E · Short Story · Ghost · #1100623
Chapter 1. Sarah is awaken in the middle of the night by something.
Sarah Avery layed in her new bed, in her new home, looking up at her new ceiling. This was the secound time in a year that she looked up at a new ceiling. Her last one had little glow-in-the-dark stars that was glued there by the daughter of the people who lived in the house before them. She sighed and rolled over. She was just thankful that this time her parents hadn't moved out of the school district.

The purple phone that she kept on the nightstand started to ring. She grabbed it and in a lazy, half-asleep voice she said, "Yes?"

"Where you sleeping again?" It was Racheal. Sarah laughed a bit to herself. Racheal was the one friend that she had made since her parents moved her to this town. Racheal was seventeen,just like Sarah. She went to a private school just two blocks away from Sarah's new house.

"No...not sleeping," Sarah relpied. "Sort of daydreaming."

"I guess that is an improvment." Both of the girls laughed. "Mind if I stop by tomarrow after school? I need you to help me with my science homework again."

"Again? Why doesn't your Mom just get you a touter?" Sarah was always having to help Racheal with some class or the other. It's not that Sarah minded. She just enjoyed picking on Racheal about it.

"Why get a touter when I've got you?" Again both of the girls laughed. "But really...is it okay?"

"Yeah. It's fine. My Mom has the day off so I'll see if she can make us something for when you come over."

"Okay." There was a pause. "Wow! Is it really eleven?"

Sarah looked over at the clock on the nightstand. "Yeap. See ya tomarrow?"

"Sure thing. Bye." Sarah hung up the phone and rolled over. Before long, she was asleep.

She wasn't really sure what woke her up. She made a small whimpering sound when she remembered that she was in the middle of a dream, where she was on a date with the lead singer of her favorite band. She was just about to roll over to look at the clock, when she heard another sort of whimper. She paused and thought for a moment. It wasn't just a whimper. It sounded almost like a girl crying. She shrugged it off and chalked it up to her imagination. She turned over and froze.

The only reason Sarah saw her was because she had fallen asleep with the light on. Crouched down in the corner of the room, was a little girl. The girl couldn't have been older then six years. She was wearing a pink cotten nightdress and her long blonde hair was covering up her face.

Sarah couldn't breathe. "What in the world?" Came to her mind, but no words could cross her lips. She finally manged to get out the word "who".

The little girl looked up at Sarah with a start. The hair fell away from her face and Sarah could see the girl's haunting, grey eyes. Before Sarah could say anything else the girl got down on her hands and knees and quickly started to crawl. She "crawled" right through the wall!

For a moment, Sarah didn't know what to do. Her mind was going to fast that when her mother pushed open the door, Sarah scrambled against the wall that her bed was pushed against. Her mother just looked at her with fear in her eyes. "What is it? What is it?" Her mother said franticly.

Sarah started to hypervintalate and just stared at her mother. She had no idea what to say. She wasn't even sure that she was wake. Her mother crossed the room and kneeled down on the bed. She grabed Sarah and looked her all over. "What is it? Why did you scream?"

Sarah caught her breath and looked at her mother with question in her eyes. She wasn't really sure about everything that had just happened, but she knew that she hadn't screamed. "I..I.." She stumbled looking for the words. For a moment, she thought she had forgotten how to speak.

"Why did you scream?" Her mother asked her again. Now her mother's voice was shaking with fear. There is nothing on this earth that can scare a mother worse then the thought of her child being hurt. Her mother looked her over again. "Why are you so pale?"

Sarah took a deep breath and just pulled her mother closer to her so that her mother was holding her, as if she was a toddler. Then, she remebered what she was trying to say. She looked up at her mother and said, "I didn't scream."

Her mother's eyes grew wide, as she looked down at Sarah. The panic had left her voice and it was replaced by question and concern. "Yes, you did. I heard you clear across the hall."

She let go of her mother and sat up on the bed. "Mom, I swear to you I didn't."

"Then why where you acting that way? What is going on here?" Now her voice seemed to have a bit of annoynce in it. "Sarah...stop fooling around right now."

"Mom, I'm telling you. I'm not fooling around." Like a ton of bricks, her memory seemed to hit her. She looked at her mom and said, "You are going to beleive me."

"I'll be the judge of that," she said sturnly. "Now start talking."

Sarah told her mother the whole story. She told her about waking up and hearing the sound. She told her about the girl and her grey eyes. Then, how the girl passed through the wall, as if it wasn't even there. When she was done, her mother looked at her.

"Are you feeling okay?" Her mother asked her. Aparently the scream she had heard had left her mind. She placed her hand on Sarah's forehead. "Do you need to go to the Emergancy Room?"

"See! See!" Sarah said with a bit of anger. "I knew it! I knew you wouldn't beleive me."

Her mother stood up. "Enough of this. Go to sleep, now." Her mother crossed the room and turned out the light. Sarah watched as the last bit of the hallway light was blocked away by the closing bedroom door.

Sarah pulled her knees into her chest and placed her chin down on her knees. She wasn't making it up. She was almost certin that it wasn't a dream. She layed back on the bed and pulled the blanket up to her shoulders. Then, for the first time since she was seven, she pulled the blankets up over her head and prayed for daylight.
© Copyright 2006 B. D. Faulkner (thegamergirl19 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1100623-Sarah-Story-One