*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1101145-Darker-Shade-Of-Light--Part-One
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 18+ · Chapter · Death · #1101145
A story about love and prejudice, like a modern day Romeo and Juliet but much darker
Prologue


         It was an ordinary day to every extraordinary soul in the stuffy downstairs bar known as “The Cellar”. Scores of people in jet black clothing, paled faces, dull eyes, and often loud, exuberant voices. The steadily growing community of “mosher’s” in the relatively small space was proving difficult to contain, and it led him to believe he would be better off taking her outside for some air.
         He reached for her silky hand under the squeaky wooden table, and felt her fingers twine with his. Her eyes sparkled with excitement, and his gaze softened with warmth and love at her dazzling beauty. He reached out his other hand to brush a lock of ebony black hair from her pale cheeks, and gently kissed her rosy lips with attentive care not to force her. She responded warmly, allowing his tongue to brush hers in a movement that stirred her soul. He withdrew slowly, giving her lips his full attention for a second longer, before pulling back. Watching her as she reclined, he saw her flushed cheeks, eyes flickering open, and then the wondrous smile spread like molten gold across her face, lighting his heart with joy that her smile was for him, and only him.
         He rose slowly, guiding her by the hand towards the door, and out into the fresh air. He turned to help her with her jacket, and was slightly taken back when she pulled him close and kissed him passionately before he had chance to register what was happening. She pulled back for a second, giggling, but he resisted, and she came back, giving him her full, loving attention for one last, fleeting moment.
         The bubble was burst with a loud bang. It sounded far too close to be ignored. Her body stiffened in his arms, and he pulled back. Swiftly, he made to turn away from her. She grabbed at his arm, as she fell heavily to the ground. He dropped in panic to her side, holding her close, frantically begging her to tell him what was wrong.
         Then he saw the puddle spreading out from where she lay, darker than night, sucking the life from her frail body. He began to scream, calling for help. One of his friend’s saw her, and called an ambulance. But it was too late for that.
         She reached up her hand to wipe the tears coursing down his cheeks, but did not possess the strength to reach his face. Her hand fell, eyes glazing over. She whispered that she was cold, and he held her close, warming her pale face with his frightened breaths. When he looked again her eyes were blank, staring past him into a world he could not see. He raised his hand to her eyelids, and gently closed them, before planting a kiss on her forehead, and laying her back on the ground.
She was gone.

Chapter 1


         Evelyn Jesston closed the grubby wooden door and let out a despairing sigh. She felt the tears threatening to well up over her eyelids, and ran to the nearby staff toilets. Students were not generally allowed to use these, but Elyn didn’t care. She didn’t want to risk the other kids seeing her cry, and if some up-tight teacher tried to force her to humiliate herself then she would calmly gesture with her slender little fingers and tell him where he could stick it.
Her world had come crashing down around her when the stuck-up prefect came into her English lesson and asked if she could go to the headmistress’s office. The unusually modest old snake had asked (not told, ASKED! Uh oh, thought Elyn, something’s really wrong) her to sit down on the chair in front of her desk.
         “Erm…Evelyn…I have just received a phone call from your parents…” Most of the following conversation was a verbal blur…accident…police involved…armed and dangerous…couldn’t find her brother…really sorry…
         “Can I go now, miss?” was all she said. It’s all she could think to say.
         Numb from shock, she emptied her stomach down the staff toilet, before grabbing her bag and stumbling outside into the cool autumn air. Her first thought was to go home, but she knew Stephen wasn’t there, so there wasn’t any point in that. Usually she would try Mia’s mobile number to see if they could meet up…
         But Mia’s dead…they shot her…
         It didn’t matter anymore where she ended up. She just started to run. Faster and faster, dodging everything, receiving angry shouts from pedestrians, and even angrier ones form the driver’s of the car’s she kept running in front of. She was beyond caring who thought what of her or what she was doing. Only one thought was running through her head.
         Stephen…have to find my brother…
         She kept running all the way from Darwen to Blackburn, kept running until she reached the Cellar. The entrance was crowded, with people crying, sobbing, and even screaming. One of them was Chester.
         She ran up to him, calling his name.
         “Chester…CHESTER!”
         “Elyn…”
         “What happened?”
         “I dunno…I came outside…Ste was crying…there was so much blood…God…” he chocked beck a sob, and another tear ran down his cheek. Elyn felt for him – he rarely showed when things got to him, and she had never seen him cry before. But Mia was his best friend…
         “Chester…come on, we have to find Ste…”
         “He took off…I think he went that way…”
         “Well, come on, then!” She grabbed his hand and pulled him to his feet, but she realised he was in no state to come with her. Letting him drop back down, she knelt beside him, and wrapped her arms around him. At first he did not respond, but then he gently hugged her back. He was careful not to squeeze Elyn too hard, even now, but she could feel him trembling, his fingers tightly clenched, holding desperately on to her. She held him tighter, whispering into his ear that it would be ok, and he wasn’t alone. She felt him break down into sobs, and started to cry, too, not just for Mia, and her brother, but for Chester. He was so lonely before he met Mia, because she was the only person who strived to get to know him in high school. Now he was in college, and she was gone, he felt alone again. Elyn vowed to be there for him. She continued telling him he wasn’t alone, she was there for him, but she had to fight on her own tears.          Finally he pulled away, wiping his face, and she saw the pain in his eyes. Elyn knew Chester had loved Mia, but never once told her how he felt, and because of that he lost her to Ste. But he never let that affect the way he acted around either of them. He talked less to Mia because she was busy, just like Elyn lost her brother to his new girlfriend. But they both understood, and neither complained.
         Now Mia was gone…Ste was lost on his own somewhere…and Chester was heartbroken…how many other lives could be destroyed by the death of a friend?
         Eventually, she said she had to go, but Chester asked her not to go alone. He pointed out that there was a guy on the loose with a gun, and she shouldn’t be alone. She agreed, and so they set off to look for Ste. Elyn was much faster than Chester, who disliked running, whereas Elyn loved it. Over an hour later, she was bouncing on her toes, and he was near collapsing on the floor. Panting heavily, he leaned on the fence, and fought to draw air into his compressed lungs. Elyn tilted her head to one side in her cute little way, and gave him her drink. He swallowed a tiny drop down his parched throat before trying to give it back, but she smiled and shook her head. Grateful for her kindness, he downed half the bottle, saving the rest until after they ate. He bought a chicken pasty for Elyn, despite her protests, and two sausage rolls for himself. They sat on a bench in the park and ate in silence, sharing the remains of Elyn’s drink, and when he realised she was still thirsty he bought her another one, which they both shared again.
         The two friends searched for Ste until it was turning dark, and Chester walked Elyn home. By this point she was frantic with worry, and kept crying all the way down the road. Chester hugged her every time, and she gratefully took hold of his hand. They walked in silence, thinking about Mia, using the other for comfort and strength. But there was nothing to be done…both of them were still in shock…still not taking it in that Mia was really gone…

         The door opened at around 1am, and Elyn caught sight of Ste’s grubby leather as he headed up the stairs. Their perplexed mother made to say something, but she was thrown by a warning glare from her husband, and remained silent. Slowly, Elyn rose from her chair, and padded quietly upstairs after her brother.
         She knocked on his door, but heard no reply. She used to be the only person allowed into his room without asking, without knocking, they were so trusting in each other. They told each other everything, and used to stay awake late into the night, watching films on his old VHS and telling ghost stories until their mum came in at 3am and told them to go to bed because they had school the next morning.
         But when he met Mia, everything changed. They weren’t so faithfully inseparable, and he slowly drifted away from everybody else. Their once close relationship was stretched so far that they were like strangers. Before Mia, Elyn would have bounded into his room, frantically hugging him and asking what was wrong. Now she could barely find the words to make polite conversation with him.
         Mia was quiet, but still very friendly. They used to have conversations about what to buy Ste for Christmas, and how well their school life was going. Ste and Mia were both in college, but Elyn was still in high school. She attended Darwen Moorland, a failing school which was due to close. She was in her last year, and Ste was in his second at St. Mary’s College, where he had met Mia. Chester had also come from Moorland, which is why he knew Elyn so well. He was in Ste’s year at Mary’s, but was struggling. He often came over to Elyn’s house for help with his work, and had been closer to her recently than Mia. It was Chester who introduced Ste to Mia. He used to go Wilfred’s with her before his family moved to Darwen and he changed schools. His family moved around a lot, and Elyn suspected he had troubles at home, but never spoke of them. Mia was the first person he had ever grown close to, and she had known all about his past. She used to help him before she met Ste, but when he lost his friend, he took the role of big brother to Elyn. She worshipped this new brotherly relationship, because it gave her someone to talk to. He was fast becoming her best friend.
         Bringing her mind back from her own thought’s, she realised she had been stood outside her brother’s room for quite a while. She tried knocking once more. No reply. So, completely at a loss, she cast a final glance to the closed door that represented the barriers between them, and slowly walked away.

Chapter 2


         Josh swallowed deep in his throat and fought to hide his irritation. The pretty young assistant smiled in a warm yet somehow empty, strained way, obviously weary from having to force her gaiety to every passing customer in the overly busy Argos store. He knew she couldn’t care less wheat he asked for, but ordering the item his mother had sent him for still annoyed him. She should have done this herself instead of sending him, but what could he do? She was his mother, after all. And it was embarrassing!
         “Here you go. Have a nice day.”
         “Yeah, you too. Thanks.” He tried to be pleasant, knowing how hard it was to put on a brave face and smile no matter what happened. He stepped gratefully into the crowded car park and made his way back towards the Boulevard. Checking his watch, and knowing his parents would not be home for another two hours, he headed to Hampsons, bought himself a sausage roll, and sat on the metal steps in the Cathedral grounds, munching busily.
         When he had finished, he did not move immediately to his bus. Instead, he sat alone for a while, staring into space and thinking about the G.C.S.E exams at the end of the year. It was nearing the end of January, and he had no idea what his mock results had been, but he knew it probably wasn’t good. He wasn’t very bright at school, and didn’t really try. He knew he should be more motivated, but after years of bullying and taunting from the other kids, he had lost his drive. He now spent his time tormenting the other students with his mate, Mark.
         The one thing Josh hated more than anything else was Goths. They drifted around making loud music and giving dodgy looks to everyone around them. He saw them all as outcasts that he would much rather shoot than have to look at. He and Mark often hurled abuse at them, calling them freaks of nature and throwing things at them, waiting for them to retaliate so they could fight back, or gather a huge gang and make them sorry for tormenting everyone with their presence.
         Josh didn’t understand them, and the fact scared him. They intimidated him, and his fear only fuelled his hatred. He sat back and watched a group of them drift past, laughing hysterically. They must be high, he thought. Smoking crack in the back of their seedy bars, getting stoned and terrorising the streets. He spat on the floor, turning his head in disgust.
         That’s when he saw her for the first time. Her long, silky hair framed her pale face, with dark, haunting eyes that somehow sparkled with warmth and light, betraying her innocent soul and pure heart. She was surrounded by an aura of mystery, and his breath was stolen by her beauty, hastened away like some tiny drop in a rushing river tumbling into uncertain waters. The scene would have been perfect if she had not attracted the attention of a burly older guy, staring menacingly after her. He advanced without precaution, pinning her against the glass walls of the building Josh was sat next to, causing her to drop her things on the floor.
         Josh leaped up from his seat and pushed the stranger back, placing himself between the girl and her assailant. The guy spat on the floor and mumbled something under his breath, before turning and walking away. Josh span to face the girl he had just rescued, but she was busily gathering her things, ready to run if need be. Her hand was bleeding a little where it had been scraped against the wall, but she appeared not to notice, even when the blood stained her bag as she picked it up. Her eyes welled up slightly with tears threatening to spill down her smooth cheeks, but she was fighting them back. He bent to pick up her coat, which she had dropped, and she seemed to notice him for the first time. She rewarded his kindness with a brave smile, open and friendly, displaying her courage, and the beauty of her irrepressible spirit.
         “Thank you.”
         “Hey, don’t mention it! That guy had no right hassling you like that. Who was he anyway?”
         “Oh…just some guy from my school…”
         “That’s harsh! At least you can get him in trouble, though!”
         “No way! That would only make things worse!”
         “Well…at least let me walk with you. I want to make sure you make it home all right.”
         “Erm…ok…buy first, you gotta tell me your name.”
         “It’s Joshua. You can call me Josh if you want.”
         “Nah…I like Joshua just fine!”
         “Fair enough! And you are…”
         “Evelyn. But everyone calls me Elyn. You can call me whatever you like.”
         “Well, I think I shall call you Shorty, because you are kinda small, or does that bother you?”
         “You are being brave! No, I like being small. It has its advantages. I’m a fast runner, and can easily squeeze through crowds. Though I’m guessing you may have more trouble…” she peered up teasingly at him. He was quite tall, and her taunt made him blush. He had short, brown hair, and a menacing face, which had an air of rugged handsomeness. But his eyes showed warmth and were full of affection. She caught his look as he gazed back at her, and instantly sensed his attraction towards her. But she could tell she liked him as well, and it left her feeling embarrassed. She tried to change the subject.
         “What school are you from? I don’t recognise the uniform.”
         “It’s called St. Augustine’s. I live in Rishton.”
         “Oh! That’s near Blackburn, isn’t it?”
         “Yeah. And where are you from?”
         “Darwen Moorland.”
         “Oh, I’ll have a job walking you home then!” She laughed and nodded.
         “A lot further away from Rishton, I’m guessing?”
         “Two bus journeys, about two hours walk. I have a friend who lives in Darwen. My sister Leanne goes there all the time. Isn’t Moorland that school that’s closing down?”
         “Yeah, but they are building a sixth form called Darwen Academy. They are knocking down loads of houses up Revidge Road for it, behind Sainsbury’s.”
         “Wow. I bet that will be hard, moving around a lot.”
         “No, I’m going to college next year. I’m in yr 11 now.”
         “Really? How old are you?”
         “Still 15. I don’t turn 16 till August.”
         “Me neither. My birthday’s in February, next month.”
         “Cool! What day?”
         “Saturday.”
         “No… I meant what DATE!”
         “The first.”
         “Isn’t that next Sunday?”
         “Oh…All right! Sunday then!” he was pleased when she started giggling. He laughed a little too, and gave her a cheeky smile, which she instantly fell in love with. She let him walk her to her bus, and shyly asked if he would meet her again sometime.
         “Sure. I’m only here to pick up something from Argos.”
         “What’s that?” he slowly opened the bag, and she started giggling. “Isn’t your hair a bit short for straightener’s?”
         “They’re for my sister! It’s her birthday present from my mum and dad, but they went out so I had to come and get them. Mum’s orders. Her birthday’s the week after mine. What are you here for?”
         “I came with my friend Kelly, but she’s gone to her mother’s and left me. I need to get this bus or I’ll be late.”
         “Ok. How about we meet here tomorrow, straight after school?” she eyed him suspiciously.
         “How do I know you’re gonna show?”
         “How do I know you will?”
         “Fair enough. See you tomorrow!” She turned and bounded onto the bus, leaving him standing alone at her stop. He stood transfixed, watching her wave from the back of the top deck. A slow smile spread across his lips as he headed for his own bus, as for the first time in a long time he felt truly happy.

         Elyn jumped off her bus and began the long walk up the hill to her house. She lived near Moorland, which annoyed her. She couldn’t wait to go to college next year, because then she would have to walk down the hill to town and catch buses every morning. She preferred to travel more, and was always on the move. The short distance to school didn’t stretch her nearly enough. She always used to set off before Ste was even awake, and walked right across Bailey’s field at the back of her house every morning to call for Chester. His sister Kelly was always late, but he was always ready. They lived near Blacksnape Park, and Elyn spent most of her time there, watching Ste and Chester fighting and messing around, climbing trees with them and getting hopelessly stuck at the top.
         Now she was alone most of the time, or with Chester, and even that wasn’t as much fun without Ste. But she was slowly getting Chester to open up to her as a friend. He told her his mother used to abuse him for years, always hitting him, starving him and throwing him out.          At first no one would believe him, not even his own father. Eventually, he was taken into foster care, which is why he moved to Darwen. He now lived with his father, who finally sided with his children. He didn’t get on well with his sister, Kelly, because she believed he made it up. She still visited her mother regularly, who had now moved to Great Harwood, but she lived with her dad and Chester, and went to the same school as Elyn.
         It was hard for Chester, going into Blackburn every day, because that’s where his family had lived while his mother tormented him. But he was facing his fear. Elyn wanted to go to St. Mary’s with him, as he would still be there her first year. Because of all his problems he had failed some of his G.C.S.E’s and had to re-sit his English before he could start his A levels, but he passed second time, and was in his first year of A levels now. She was very good at school, and knew she would get the grades for college. Then she could support him like Mia had done, and be the best friend she could for him.
         Once home, she ran straight upstairs and closed her door. It had been a few months since the incident with Mia, which had happened in October. Now January, Ste was still not showing his grief. At the funeral he didn’t cry, and he was one of few who didn’t. Chester was beside himself, and Elyn tried to stay strong for him. She seldom let anyone see her cry. The day Mia died was the first and only time Chester had seen her, at the funeral she held it back. She had her own, darker methods of release, methods her brother knew nothing about. Not even Chester knew, and that was how she wanted to keep it.
         She tore off her uniform and pulled on her strappy black top, black baggies, and her beloved Linkin Park hoodie. She rarely went anywhere without it, but couldn’t wear it to school for fear of the teachers confiscating it.          She had been a Mosher since she started high school, and met Chester. She looked up to him and her brother so much. It was Chester that first let her listen to Linkin Park, and ever since that day she had stolen most of Ste’s albums and loved them all. She would never go the full way into being a Goth, with white make up and countless tattoos and peircing’s everywhere. But she enjoyed the music, and black was her favourite colour. She also stole one of Ste’s spike bands with a dragon on it. Dragon’s were her favourite animal, and she had her eye on a dragon hoodie in Zodiac, the gothic shop in Blackburn precinct. But she never had enough money to afford the nice things in there, though she loved looking.
         She lay back on her bed and sent a text to Chester asking him to ring her, which he did almost immediately.
         “Hello?”
         “Hey El, how you doing?”
         “Great! Yeah I’m ok.”
         “What’s happened?”
         “Huh?”
         “Oh come on! I haven’t heard you this happy since I gave you that Evanescence CD for Christmas! So spill! What’s up!”
         “Oh. I went into Blackburn with Kelly and kinda met someone.”
         “Do you love him?”
         “CHESTER!”
         “What? I wish you could hear how you sound! I really do!”
         “I only met him! Marcus Brand was hassling me again, and he kinda rescued me. We started talking, and he wants to meet me tomorrow after school.”
         “Well, that sounds promising. Do you want me to come along to make sure he doesn’t take advantage?”
         “He’s from Rishton! He’s hardly Jack the Ripper!”
         “What school?”
         “St. Augustine’s.”
         “Hmm…I don’t know anyone from there…”
         “HA! See? You can’t comment!”
         “You know I’m only joking Ely! I think you should give it a try! You definitely deserve it.”
         “Thanks. How’s things at your end?”
         “Oh, apparently Mum’s appealing for custody of Kelly again. My dad’s sick of all the court battles, he’s thinking of giving in this time.”
         “Can he do that?”
         “Well, he doesn’t want to. I mean, Kelly was only eleven when we were taken into care, she wasn’t a stroppy teen yet, and Dad’s worried that if he lets Mum take Kelly, she will start hurting her. But Kelly’s being really difficult all the time, saying she would rather be at her Mum’s. I think he might let her go, but she will regret it if Mum start’s on her like she started on me.”
Chester’s voice broke a little at the end of this sentence, and Elyn, sensing the danger, tried to change the topic.
         “Well she certainly did me a favour in dragging me to Blackburn. I mean, I met Josh because of her…”
         “OH! The mystery guy has a NAME now? Does he know yours?”
         “Yes. And he knows where I live, and what school I go to.”
         “Is he cute?”
         “RAZ! Anyone would thing you were after him yourself!”
         “Well, there was this one night in Burnley…” Elyn started laughing, and they carried on like this for a little while, until he made his excuses and went to make some dinner, leaving her to her own dreamy thoughts.

Chapter 3


         “So she was hot, right? Is that, like, bikini babe hot? Or supermodel hot? Or maybe even lap dancer hot? Come on, man, you gotta be more specific!”
         “She was really pretty, ok? I can’t put a label on it! She was just pretty!”
         “Just pretty? JUST PRETTY? No girl is ‘JUST PRETTY’! Josh, man, you should know better! Was she a babe or a minger?”
         “OH, definitely a babe! No doubt about it. She was so beautiful…”
         “Hey! Where did beautiful come from? One minute she was only pretty, the next you’re making her out to be drop dead gorgeous!”
         “She was.”
         “You’ve only met her once! How can you make a fair judgement? She could have the personality of a brick! Or a highly contagious fungal infection that’s taken over her feet and turned them green! You’re acting like you’re in love with the girl! I thought you didn’t believe in love at first sight!”
         “I didn’t.”
         “Oh, hell! I take it you do now? And you still can’t tell me if she was hot?”
         “It was more than that, Mark! She seemed deeper than that. She had such amazing long brown hair, and dark eyes. I loved looking at her! She just fascinated me.”
         “Wow, that sounds really meaningful, and everything, but come one! I’ve been with Leanne a few months now, and I honestly don’t know how mush longer we are gonna last.”
         “How come?”
         “Oh, she irritates me an awful lot! I know she’s your sister, and everything, but I don’t know how to talk to her!”
         “Stepsister, and you gotta learn that one yourself, Mark. I mean, you got two sisters of your own anyway!”
         “Yeah, but Jayne’s a fucking Mosher! And Loella just defends her all the time! I can’t talk to either of them!”
         “Yeah, and I don’t get on with Leanne! I can’t fight your battles for you all the time, Marky. Anyway, I’m gonna get in shit if I stay here any longer.”
         “Yeah, sorry bout that, man! Hey, get this chick of yours’ number tomorrow, and give her a ring. See if you can’t convince her to come out round Rishton with us one night, and I’ll give you the thumbs up. See you tomorrow Josh.”
         “Yeah, Mark. See you later.” He left his friend, totally bemused by their confusing conversation. Most other lads would be determined to keep their sister’s away from guys like him, blood related or not, but Leanne was old enough to make her own mistakes as far as he was concerned. Mark seemed unwilling to show any feelings for any girl he dated, but he still kept them happy. He just knew his sister had a tendency to put her foot in it and betray her feelings, which often intimidated guys and scared them off.
         Josh opened the door to his deserted house and went upstairs to his room. He didn’t bother changing or getting anything to eat, he simply fell asleep on his bed for the first time in about three days and slept right through till about 6am, then got himself ready for school. He left without anyone in his ‘family’ knowing he had been there, and spent an hour wandering around Rishton aimlessly before catching his school bus. The whole day passed in a blur, and he eagerly awaited the end of the day. As soon as the bell rang, he ran out of the classroom, and was the first person on the bus. He knew it was silly, but he hadn’t stopped thinking about her all day.
         And then she was there, sitting on the window ledge at the train station in Blackburn, wearing a pure white shirt, which was damp with the rain and clinging to her skin, showing her black, lacy bra underneath. He couldn’t see much of it because of her black tie and blazer, sporting a pale blue griffin on the front pocket. Her hair was tied back in a black bobble, but still hung messily around her face, untidy because of her time at school. They chatted for a long time, before she had to go home again, and he plucked up the courage to ask for her mobile number. When he had met her, he fully expected to lose some of the fascination, but she seemed even more beautiful than the day before, and he knew it was pointless fighting his attraction. She gave him her number, and she agreed to meet him again. The following day was a Saturday, the day before his birthday, and he knew he had to admit his feelings.
         That night, he sent her a text saying he really liked her, and she admitted she liked him as well, but they decided to talk about it the next day. Josh fell asleep in a dreamy world of his own, thinking about her, the excitement growing about the next day. He had already decided he would ask her out, and he couldn’t wait.

         The following day, Elyn didn’t wear her beloved hoodie; she knew the occasion was far too special. She had always been deeply fascinated with Mia’s clothes, because whereas her own consisted of baggy pants and strappy tops, Mia’s were so lacy and delicate. When she died, her parents gave most of her clothes to Elyn, knowing that she would take care of them.
Until now, she had been reluctant to open the bag, but she knew today was a day she would need Mia’s help. Elyn was a strong believer in spirits, and knew it would make Mia happy to see her things being used so carefully.
         “I hope I look at least half as pretty as you did in these, Mi, because I really like him! I want to win his heart like you won Ste’s. Please help me.”
         With that thought, she opened the bag, and he first thing she saw made her heart skip a beat. A beautiful black silk dress with red embroidered flowers around the bottom and black lace around the neckline. She remembered this as the dress Mia had worn to Ste’s birthday party. Three days before she died.
         Elyn knew she couldn’t wear that, but she liked the lacy black top underneath, that hung just off the shoulders with long, slitted sleeves that dangled down her arms. She checked in the mirror and realised it suited her, in fact she looked really grown up and bonny in it, but she couldn’t see that. She became aware of how bare her arms looked, and pulled a black sweatband on her right arm, and her brother’s dragon spike band on her left. She found a knee length satin black skirt which flowed round her legs, and pulled on her own three-quarter leather jacket over the top, before examining herself in the mirror. To finish, she found her big black boots with flames round the bottom, used the belt hooks of the skirt to attach her biker chain, and found a black velvet choker with a tiny silver dragon on it. She didn’t wear her spiky dog collar, because she didn’t think it was delicate enough, and considered taking off her spike band, but then thought better of it.
         Then she found Mia’s make up box in the bag. Elyn didn’t wear make up often, and thought she should practice before using it, so she didn’t bother. Instead, she tied her hair back half up, half down, keeping two long strands for her fringe, because she didn’t like having all her hair back. The strands hung either side of her head, and she tucked them behind her ears for now, before grabbing her money, phone and keys, sliding them into her pocket, then looking in the mirror one last time.
         “Well, Mia, I’m ready. Wish me luck!”

         “Wish me luck!” Josh said at almost the same moment to Mark down the phone. Mark simply laughed and said it wasn’t luck he needed, it was a bloody miracle. The conversation went on like this for some time, before Josh insisted he had to go. He kicked Mark off the house phone while grabbing his mobile, keys and money and shoving them roughly into his pockets. Josh was wearing his best jeans, a stripy rugby shirt, sport jacket, trainers and the Rovers cap his dad bought him. Looking in the mirror one last time, he thought he looked ok. He didn’t tell anyone where he was going; he didn’t feel the need to.
         The bus journey seemed to take forever, and he bounded off and ran to the place they usually met. Stopping some distance off, he scanned to see if he could see her. A large crowd of girls crossed the road from the station, but she wasn’t among them, and the only other person he could see was a mosher, sat on her ledge. He was instantly annoyed, knowing she wouldn’t share her ledge with anyone else, so he searched the whole of the boulevard for her, careful to stay out of the view of the mosher and any others in case he lost his temper with them. He didn’t want Elyn to see him lose his temper.
         After a while of this, he checked his phone. She had sent him a text asking where he was, and if he was still coming. He sent one back asking where she was, and she replied by saying, “Where I usually am”.
         It was then he looked at the mosher properly for the first time, and he realised with horror that he had been looking at her all along. He marched up to her with annoyance, careful not to meet her gaze.
         “Why didn’t you tell me?” he spat with venom, wiping the cheerful smile from her face instantly.
         “Tell you what, Josh?”
         “That you’re a mosher!”
         “So.”
         “So? SO? SO I HATE MOSHERS! YOU SHOULD HAVE FUCKING TOLD ME!”
         “B-but I…” he looked at her for the first time, and stopped dead in his tracks. She was wearing a silky skirt and really pretty top, which was partly see-through, and made his stomach flutter despite his anger. He looked into her face, the way her hair fluttered in the breeze, her rosy lips trembling and her eyes damp with the tears he realised he had caused her to spill. And he realised for the first time that, despite the fact that she was a mosher, she was still so beautiful she took his breath away, and he still cared about her more than he had first realised.
         But before he had chance to register this thought, she ran. He instantly snapped out of the daze he was in, and took off after her. He knew he was a good sprinter, but he had never seen anyone run so fast! And when his chest became so tight he knew to carry on would be impossible, she didn’t even lose pace. He eventually had to give up, with no hope of catching her. He realised she was running in the direction of Darwen, so he turned to the nearest bus stop and jumped on the first one to Darwen, knowing he had made the biggest mistake he had ever made, and determined to make it right.
         When Elyn finally realised he had stopped chasing, she used the back street way to get to Witton Park, where she headed for the Crematorium, and found the one place she felt safe.
         “Please…help me, Mia…please…” she broke down by Mia’s stone, not caring who saw her. Stroking the petals of the wilting flowers she had brought last weekend, slowly fading away through lack of attention and love, just like her.

         Chester was downstairs watching television when his sister came into the room. She was all tarted up in a practically invisible denim skirt, sparkly halter neck top, and so much make up she looked thirty, with heels he couldn’t imagine anyone managing to walk in, and so much jewellery she reminded him of a Christmas tree.
         “Dad, I’m off out. And Chester, your phone’s been going off for the last fifteen minutes. I suggest you answer it.”
“Ok, sweetheart, you have a good time, and mind you’re back for ten, it’s a school night.” But she was already gone before he finished. Cartoon Chester would have rolled his eyes impatiently.
         Chester liked drawing, particularly cartoons. He had a cartoon picture of everyone. Cartoon Kelly was a red headed slut, pretty much like she had just gone out, with make up and high heels. The only cartoon he couldn’t draw was Mia, because he just couldn’t seem to capture her character right.
         He stood and made to leave the room, but turned at the last second to his father.
         “Dad, do you really think she is going to be back for 10?”
         “I’d say more like 2, if we are lucky.”
He opened his mouth to say something back, but thought better of it, and walked out. He knew Kelly was walking all over them both, using her pointy heels to grind his dad into the floor, just like her mother. Chester shuddered at the memories, but quickly shunned them from memory when he realised Elyn had rang him 37 times. Yeah, Kelly, all in 15 minutes, he thought, irritably. The next call, he picked up, but he couldn’t tell at first it was Elyn. All he heard was sobbing.
         “Ely? El! What’s happened? Aw, sweetie, what’s wrong?”
         She was completely hysterical, but through her tears he managed to grasp bits of the story. He couldn’t quite understand why Josh had flipped at her for being a mosher, but he could understand why it had hurt her.
         “Elyn, please calm down. Why don’t you come here for a while, we can talk about it. Where are you?
         “C-cremat-torium…” He guessed that before he asked, but thought he should have made sure.          He talked to her until she stopped crying, and she agreed to make her way back to Darwen. He told her to text when she caught the bus, then again when she got off, and she agreed.
         When she had gone, he lay back on his bed, and felt the tears pricking at his own eyes. He knew he was overly sensitive, and hated to see any of his friends hurt. But he knew Elyn was fiery, and that she could have got upset at something smaller than she made out. He hoped for her sake that she wasn’t in love with this guy, so that she could get over it quickly. But deep down, he knew there was something there, and it occurred to him that she wasn’t going to make it back to his. This thought made him smile, and he left his phone on charge while he turned on his play station 2, slid the silver disk into the door, and settled back to watch one of his favourite Stephen Segal films.

         Josh trudged back to the bus stop, totally defeated. He had searched high and low for her, but not knowing Darwen very well had cost him valuable time, and he knew he had no hope of running into her without help, and next to no knowledge of the area himself. He handed the money to the driver, and took a seat on the top of the double-decker, which was empty. He thought this was unusual for the time, but didn’t let it bother him. He settled back into a dazed dream about her, deeply depressed by the knowledge that he had lost her forever.

         Elyn did as she was told, and texted Chester as soon as she got on the bus. She tried to avoid all the busy areas, knowing she might run into Josh, but she never did. Perhaps he has gone home, she thought, and was surprised at how sorry she felt. She also couldn’t help wondering why he had run after her like that, if he hated her.
         The word hate felt dirty in her mind, but she couldn’t push it out. She was glad that she was alone upstairs, because she knew she would cry any minute. She wiped her eyes furiously, determined not to cry.

         He knew it was stupid, but he couldn’t help taking a risk. Typing furiously into his phone, he sent a text, hoping with all his heart she would respond.

         Her phone bleeped, and she checked to see if it was Chester, but it was from Josh. She felt a burning curiosity, compelling her to read it, so she opened it with closed eyes, fighting the urge to delete it and read it at the same time, before finally working up the courage to open her eyes.
         I’m sorry I was wrong. I do like you. I know I’ve made a mistake. Please forgive me. Will you go out with me? Love Josh x
         She had to read it again to understand what he had said, and almost laughed. She couldn’t believe his nerve, it was all a game to him! She didn’t know whether or not to believe him, to trust him.
         Suddenly, she spotted him on the top deck of the bus going the other way. He had a glazed expression in his eyes, and was looking down at all the people traipsing past. The sight of him made her want to cry again, and she had to turn her head away as the tears coursed down her cheeks. Finally, she forced herself to look back, but the bus had moved and she couldn’t see him.
         Next thing she knew, her bus stopped altogether, and beeped its horn rudely. She heard the driver open the doors, and some slight commotion downstairs, and then heard someone bounding up to the top deck. She tried to wipe her eyes before she had company, and busied herself with staring outside again.
         Then she felt him slide into the seat next to her, and turned around. His soft, brown eyes were burning deep into her own, and she found herself crying again. He lifted his hands to her eyes and wiped her tears.
         “Say yes…” he whispered. She met his gaze, filled with passion and longing, feeling his pain and fear of rejection burning into her, forcing her to face the reality of his feelings for her. And she knew she shared his feelings. She had fallen for him the second he smiled at her in that cheeky way, but she knew her friends would never approve, because he was a true townie, just like she was a mosher. The two groups did not mix.
         Spotting her indecision, he leaned towards her, and brushed her nose with his gentle lips. Her eyes flicked down to his mouth and back as he slowly pulled away. Finally beaten, a small, innocent smile broke, and her eyes sparkled.
         “Yes,” she whispered back. He grinned ecstatically, and took her hand in his own to kiss it, but she pulled it away, and kissed him instead.
         That kiss was more than magical. Josh’s breath was stolen as her soft, rosy lips met passionately with his. He wondered if he should grow bolder and try to go a little further, but she beat him to it. His pulse rose to a fatal drumbeat in his head as he felt her warm, moist tongue brush his own. He responded eagerly, running his fingers through her silky hair and drawing her closer to him.
         When they finally parted, the bus was moving again. He looked at her beautiful face, flushed cheeks and dazzling eyes. He knew he would get in trouble when he was late home but he didn’t care. She was all he wanted, and nothing could take that away from him.

         Chester smiled when he got the text back from Elyn saying she had found Josh, and everything was ok. He had known she would sort it out, and was pleased everything was ok. He settled back down and continued watching his film, feeling proud of the girl who felt more like a sister to him than Kelly.
         But that was just the way things were.

Want more?
Check out part 2...


 Darker Shade Of Light : Part Two  (18+)
The second part of my story
#1101152 by Lil Uni Cheshy
© Copyright 2006 Lil Uni Cheshy (lil_cheshy at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1101145-Darker-Shade-Of-Light--Part-One