*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1108271-Family-Reunion-Down-South
Rated: E · Draft · Family · #1108271
2006 Summerford Family Reunion - James Jackson Summerford Family
The Summerford gathering place picked for the July 2006 family reunion is located in the heart of Dixie about 800 miles south of the Mason Dixon Line in the city of Decatur, Alabama. Our oldest living Summerford who is the first born son of James Jackson Summerford is Ralph Summerford who is now 84. As Uncle Ralph's neice and daughter to the second born son, James Jackson Summerford Jr., I would like to say a few words about Uncle Ralph. Ralph is the husband of one wife, Orlean Dunlap, and the father of two daughters, Linda Gail Russell and Charlotte Diane Speake. Uncle Ralph is a kind and easy going individual, so kind and easy going that when I skipped my Home Economics final exam in the 7th grade at Hartselle High School, he provided me with a fishing pole to go fish in his pond. He didn't know I was cutting a class. He was just providing me with a memory I'll always cherish. Believe me! I have done enough hands on Home Economics over the last quarter century to earn a B.S. in the field. Fishing is one of Uncle Ralph's favorite past times because that is what he did when he ended his workday while working with the Tennessee Valley Authority. I'll never forget the wonderful summer vacation when I was 15 and Uncle Ralph took us to Kentucky on one of his work locations. Linda, Charlotte and myself enjoyed swimming, seeing movies and helping Aunt Orlean keep the cabin in order. Uncle Ralph loved to chew tobacco, fish and watch Alabama football (not necessarily in that order). I love you Uncle Ralph.

My Dad is the second born. James Jackson Summerford Jr. is 82 years old and lives in Morgan County in Alabama near his brother Ralph Summerford. Although my Dad's plans of attending Auburn University and becomming a veterinary changed after he was drafted during the Korean Conflict, his career or may I say careers made him a very interesting character. He was a gunner on a ship in the Navy, an Iron Worker and riveter when building bridges, a Convenience Store owner, a Car Wash Builder and owner, a gardner and lawn care business owner, a bee keeper and honey bottler, a grape vinyard keeper and wine maker and most important of all my Dad. Because of the character of this man, I draw the strength to press on when the going gets rough. He is one of the wisest and most influential persons I have ever met and I love him with all my heart.

to be continued ...this is the first Draft

to be continued...
© Copyright 2006 Schreiben-Gal (teatotaler at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1108271-Family-Reunion-Down-South