*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1108909-Latvia-and-the-Soviet-Union-Occupation
Rated: E · Essay · History · #1108909
Essay on if Latvia was better off as a member of the USSR or not.
Latvia and the Soviet Union Occupation
"It is not easy to sleep next to elephants," said Latvian Foreign Minister, Valdis Birkavs about being a neighbor to the unpredictable Russia. Eventually the elephant, the Soviet Union, would occupy Latvia in 1940. And so began the decline of a prosperous Latvian society. The Soviet Union had a negative impact on Latvia socially, economically, and on their government.
Before Latvia was taken by the soviets they had a Socialist Republic governmental structure. This is where the government had some charge of industries and there are usually high taxes. But with the high taxes come lots of government services. Today, Latvia has an unsuccessful Parliamentary Democracy. Although it is a democratic government, disputes with coalitions create shaky governments that end before their terms are up. Since 1991, there have been over twelve different controlling the Latvian government. The government and the society functioned mush more productively before the disruption of the Soviet Union.
Economically, Latvia has also suffered from the Soviet Union’s take over. After Latvia gained its independence from the Soviet Union there was an economic structure reform and more privatization created. This resulted in a better, healthier economy. The GDP (Gross Domestic Profit) was strong and inflation remained low. The highest economic growth was actually seen in the 1990’s, with GDP at 6%, after Latvia’s recovery from the occupation. But even before the Soviet Union occupied Latvia, its economy was booming. In the 1930’s, a sudden change in policy by the Prime Minister suspended Parliament and political party activities. This was called the “coup d’etat” and the economy grew rapidly, to the point where Latvia had one of the highest standards of living in Europe. When the Soviet Union came in, the Latvian economy was taken over and all its successful policies were destroyed. This was done purposely by the Soviets because they wanted everything even remotely Latvian to uniform with everything Russian. Without the Soviet occupation, the Latvian economy would have been allowed to continue to grow and prosper.
Probably the greatest negative effect the Soviets had on Latvia was a social one. On November 18, 1918, Latvians finally received their long awaited independence. But in 1940, against their will, the Latvians were incorporated into the Soviet Union; it was the beginning of a dim period. In 1941, when Nazi Germany invaded Latvia, the Soviets quickly backed out, deserting the Latvians and leaving them to be overtaken by the Nazis. Consequently, after the Soviets backed out without a fight to defend the occupied Latvians, Nazi Germany terminated 90% of the Latvian Jewish population. In 1944, the Soviets reinvaded a seemingly decomposing Nazi empire and pushed the Germans out of control. Following their reinvasion, 100 to 20,000 Latvians were deported to Russian Labor Camps. Seeing this turmoil, hundreds of thousands more Latvians fled west. IN 1949 thousands more were deported to Siberia, and the rest of the Latvian population was forced to function in a “Russian way” socially, economically, and politically. The number of Latvian Nationals dropped from 75% to 50% during this time. Finally in 1980, Latvians began to work towards a second independence. As Latvia got back its independence, it began to socially prosper again. After the Soviet Union’s occupation ended, Latvia joined the United Nations, NATO, and even became the first Baltic Nation in The World Trade Organization. The social restraints of a Soviet Occupation were lifted and Latvia was able to thrive once again.
In conclusion, the Soviet Union had an oppressing effect on Latvia during its unwelcome occupation. The Soviet Union damaged Latvia socially, economically, and politically. Therefore Latvia would be much better off if the Soviet Union had never existed. "I’d say the Soviet Union was one of the most disgusting and awful things that was ever created, certainly this century. And its death was one of the most wonderful things that has happened." —Former Estonian Foreign Minister Toomas Hendrik Ilves



Works Cited
"20th Century Timeline". City Paper: The Baltic States. 16 May 2006 <http://www.balticsworldwide.com/timeline.htm>.
"Book of Quotes: Russia ." City Paper's Baltics Worldwide. 2006. City Paper. 21 May 2006 <http://www.balticsworldwide.com/quotes/rusquotes.htm>.
CIA World Factbook. "Latvia". Aneki.com. 16 May 2006 <http://www.aneki.com/Latvia.html>.
"History of Latvia." The latvian Institute. 2005. Latvian Embassy. 18 May 2006 <http://www.li.lv/en/file/pdf/History_of_Latvia_2005.pdf>.
"Latvia Key Facts." New Zealand Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Sep. 2004. New Zealand Ministry of Foreign Affairs. 18 May 2006 http://www.mfat.govt.nz/foreign/regions/europe/countrypapers/latvia.html#Politic...
Ratnikas, Algis. "Timeline Latvia / Livonija". Topica's Timelines of History. 16 May 2006 <http://timelines.ws/countries/LATVIA.HTML>.
© Copyright 2006 Ann Osborne (sosborne11 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1108909-Latvia-and-the-Soviet-Union-Occupation