*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1109987-Propaganda-in-America-during-WWII
Rated: 13+ · Essay · Psychology · #1109987
All about propaganda in the U.S.A. during World War II.







This essay is about finding the main characteristics of enlistment poster propaganda during World War II in the United States of America. Various propaganda posters were researched, interviews with World War II veterans and citizens were conducted and examinations were made of the works from historians. All this research was done to gain a broader scope of the general mood of the people and the collection of themes used in the posters. After compiling all of the information it was concluded that guilt, fear, patriotism and the “band wagon” mindset were the definitive features of the posters.












Bibliography

• Aaron@propagandacritic.com, The Institute for Propaganda Analysis. Eight Common Techniques of Propaganda. Available from World Wide Web: <URL: http://www.propagandacritic.com/articles/index.html>
• National Archives and Records Administration. Powers of Persuasion. Available from the World Wide Web: <URL: http://www.archives.gov/exhibit_hall/powers_of_persuasion/powers_of_persuasion_i...
• “The Boys’ Crusade” by Paul Fussell, Published by Weidenfeld & Nicolson in Great Britain, 2004
• “Band of Brothers” by Stephen E. Ambrose, Published by Touchstone in New York, 1992
• Interview of Jack McKibbon in Appendix, 2005
• Interview of Richard Harris in Appendix, 2005
• “I Want You” by James Montgomery Flagg, 1940, Produced for the Army Recruiting Bureau NARA Still Picture Branch (NWDNS-44-PA-71)
• "Action! : men of 18 and 19, choose your combat branch.", Washington, D.C. : U.S. G.P.O., 1942, United States. Army. Recruiting Publicity Bureau.
• "Freshmen! sophomores! : stay in college and become a naval officer.", Washington, D.C. : U.S. G.P.O., 1942, United States. Bureau of Naval Personnel.
• "Naval aviation has a place for you--.", Washington, D.C. : U.S. G.P.O., 1941, United States. Bureau of Naval Personnel.
• “Someone Talked!”, by Siebel, 1942, Printed by the Government Printing Office for the Office of War Information NARA Still Picture Branch (NWDNS-44-PA-230)
• “Have You Really Tried to Save Gas by Getting Into a Car Club?” By Harold Von Schmidt, 1944, Printed by the Government Printing Office NARA Still Picture Branch (NWDNS-200(S)-PSC-16)


























Appendix I

>From: "McKibbon Jack"
>To: "Gale McKibbon"
>Subject: Re: Questions for an Essay
>Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 10:57:30 -0400
>Hi Oldest Grandson: We are fine. Thanks for asking. To answer your questions about WW 2 I will do my best. On Dec 7, 1941 I was a cadet at North Georgia College 17 years old. We had finished Sunday lunch and were sitting under a tree not too far from the dining room when a cadet ran by and told us that the Japs had bombed Pearl Harbor in the Hawiian Islands. During the next few months in Military Science classes we were told about the significance of this event. We were told that General Short and Admiral Kimbell who were in charge would be fired. And They were. Living in a military enviorment we all became more patriotic than we would have if we had been at a non military school. Soon after the war began the Army Air Corps began recruiting at NGC. They would tell us about becoming second Lts. and earning our silver wings. Our upper class began taking the tests for pilot training. They were 18 and 19. It seemed as if each month a group would be selected and would leave for the Navy, Marine Corps, and the Army Air Corps. During that year the draft began. If you were in school they did not draft you. I had to sign up for the draft just like everyone who was 18 or older. On Dec 14,1942 one year and a week after Pearl Harbor I was accepted in the Army Air Corps. later called the Army Air Force. I did feel that I wanted to serve my country in the best way that I could. I also wanted very much to be a pilot. I did not want to be drafted and become a foot soldier. I felt that I had more to offer my country than that.The excitement at the time made every young man want to get into the war. I was no exception.Remember I was not underage. At 18 all young men who were physically able had to serve. If you need more let me know. Love Papa.
From: Barbara Humphrey Cramer <primera55@hotmail.com>
To: mckibbon@gmail.com
Date: Oct 31, 2005 7:19 PM
Subject: re: Loose Lips
Hi
I don't remember the spies part of it, but I do remember the mantra.

We never spoke of where our family members were when we were out in public
because it could have pinpointed their location. Because of the torpedoes
in the Atlantic and the Kamikaze's in the Pacific, we didn't want to give
any information that could have been used by the enemy.

Families only had APO numbers to send mail. One for the Atlantic campaign,
and one for the Pacific. Usually, if the guys ever got to go home for R&R,
which almost never happened....they had R&R close to where they were
stationed........and if they happened to say where they were, or if a letter
somehow got through with too much in it that should have been censored, then
the families learned to not repeat anything for fear of someone being in the
vicinity who might hear and forward that information on.

I don't remember being afraid that spies would hear, although they were
definitely in the country as they were during all the wars, and are here
now, trying to get information about our troups in Afghanistan and Iraq and
the special ops around the world.

That is just a part of life.....has been since the Revolution.
Hope this helps somewhat.
Love you,
Garm









What were the main characteristics of enlistment propaganda posters during World War II in the United States of America?


This essay has been designed to try and find out the most common methods of persuasion used by enlistment propaganda posters in America during World War II. Included are references to the most relevant enlistment posters along with some comments from World War two veterans and a look at the general mood of the populace as described by Paul Fussell and Stephen E. Ambrose. Discovering why propaganda works like it does is important for understanding how people can be manipulated in all aspects of life. Most people who lived in that time and saw the posters did not consider them to be propaganda; in fact propaganda was seen as evil and it was unthinkable the government would use a tool of that type on its own citizens. The posters played on three main feelings of American citizens at the time: guilt, fear, and patriotism.

What is propaganda? The noun propaganda has been defined as: “information that is spread for the purpose of promoting some cause.” Propaganda in the United States of America was formed to create support from the citizens of the country mainly through patriotism, guilt, and fear. These were used to facilitate the rationing of goods, the construction of machinery, the stockpiling of supplies for the war, the enlistment of young men to fight for their country, and to recruit citizens into positions which could aid the war effort.

In general, the mood in America was a very patriotic one. Taking place soon after the great depression, people were used to living without, for this reason, rationing was not such a big hit to morale. Everyone was doing their part to support “our boys out there”, this was a popular trend and it was something that would boost your social standing. It could be considered ritualistic and it was a common lifestyle. Patriotism was passed down from parent to child for years since previous wars, perhaps even since the revolutionary war. “The excitement at the time made every young man want to get into the war” said Jack McKibbon , “I was no exception.” “I wanted to defend my country,” said Richard Harris , “My greatest fear was being rejected and being classified “4F” which meant you were unfit for military duty. The general feeling was that everyone wanted to do their part.” Paul Fussell writes in his book “The Boys’ Crusade” boys joined up under patriotic beliefs;
1. America is the best country in the world because it is the only really modern one.
2. It is the world leader in technology, producing the bulk of the good cars, and in unbelievably large quantities, airplanes, and tanks, which, being the best in the world, are going to win the war. They are certainly better than anything the Germans and the Japs can make…

Stephen E. Ambrose wrote, “They volunteered for the paratroopers, they said, for the thrill, the honor, and the $50 (for enlisted men) or $100 (for officers) monthly bonus paratroopers received”, which would suggest that money might have been a determining factor as well. However, this only shows the perspective of the people who signed up to be paratroopers. The idea is supported by the depression that had just recently occurred which would have left people wanting and without.

There were many types of recruitment propaganda posters. The main categories were posters urging men to join the army, navy, or the air force, and posters urging non-military people to help out however they could at home. During World War II there was a deficit of men as well as commodities. Because of this, posters aimed at the recruitment of men were not in place to coax men to fight for their country, but to influence men to join a specific branch. There was a draft at this time, so posters encouraging men to fight were impractical, because of this, you will see a majority of the posters aimed at the non-military portion of the people.

Fear was a powerful tool in the manufacture of propaganda. People in America at that time were worried about invasion and also for the men in combat. Pearl Harbor not only sparked the war, but also gave the people something to be afraid of because it was thought to be impossible for an enemy force to come so close to the United States of America and to widely succeed in their attack. Recurring themes in propaganda are ones that want you to do something because if you decided not to there would be some sort of consequence.

Guilt was a common sight in many posters asking you to conserve commodities and often was found juxtaposed with aspects from fear. A clear example of this may be in the poster “Have You Really Tried to Save Gas by Getting Into a Car Club?” in which you are asked to conserve your fuel, where a wounded and tired looking soldier is asking you if you have really tried to help out. This creates a powerful sentiment of guilt when you see a solder suffering because you have not tried your hardest to save gas. Another poster using both fear and guilt is “Someone talked!” where you see a navy man drowning because you told information that was used against him. This is both the guilt that you might have caused this, and fear of ever telling anyone these things because you don’t want this to happen. Barbara Cramer has said, “We never spoke of where our family members were when we were out in public because it could have pinpointed their location. Because of the torpedoes in the Atlantic and the Kamikaze's in the Pacific, we didn't want to give any information that could have been used by the enemy.”

Patriotism was a very common aspect of posters at this time. Constantly you would see American flags and other posters depicting the prowess of the American soldier. There were phrases telling you to take action and to go do something for your country.

The poster, “I Want You”, was made by the “artist, James Montgomery Flagg, [who] used himself as a model for this illustration which was used on World War I recruitment posters and revived during World War II. This poster has been described as the best known of any era.” The poster was made to encourage young men to enlist by playing on their patriotism and strong feelings of duty to their country. The man, “Uncle Sam”, is pointing out of the poster at you saying, “I Want You” , which makes it obligatory rather than optional, and makes it powerful and sincere. “…we had posters showing Uncle Sam pointing at you with the caption “I need you.”…This did inspire us to ‘join up’” writes Jack McKibbon. His interpretation of the poster “I need you” when Jack says need instead of want, this may signify his perception of the situation in the U.S.A. as being desperate. In light of Jack’s statement, we could consider this poster to be a really motivating source for enlistment. The Army Recruiting Bureau produced this poster specifically for recruiting soldiers for the war. Posters like this one were useful in the motivation of young men to enlist out of patriotism.

In the next poster “Action! : men of 18 and 19, choose your combat branch.” we see soldiers with different weapons and airplanes to show the different military branches. This poster was meant to make enlistment more appealing by being able to choose which area of combat they would be entering. The urgency depicted would play on the person’s fear as well as being used to emphasize their duty to their country to take “Action.” At this time in the United States of America there was still a choice as to what branch you wanted to join, however, later on this choice would not exist.

In the poster "Freshmen! sophomores! : stay in college and become a naval officer." There is a plea to the freshmen and sophomores to stay in school so they can become a more experienced soldier. With the caption “Help keep it great!” aimed at the American flag on the poster and pulling on the student’s patriotism by making him feel guilty at not helping out. Having the flag in the background is a form of “Transfer”: “In the transfer technique, the propagandist uses symbols to associate his or her program with a respected and revered institution, suggesting institutional approval of the program.” Because not many people went to college in this time period, the government realized the importance of keeping young men in school as they were valuable assets to the country, being the best and brightest it had to offer. Encouraging them to stay in school was necessary as they would tend to enlist as soon as possible.

In "Naval aviation has a place for you--." we see some advertisement for the Navy. At this time there was competition for man power amongst all combat branches, they all needed men to fight in their branch to be efficient. On the very bottom of the poster the words “Learn the right way ~ the Navy way” makes a subliminal message telling them the Navy is the right way. The poster also depicts the different aspects of the Navy, always emphasizing efficiency and strength by showing the colossal size of the vessels, and the expertise of the crew depicted in the poster. This piece lets everyone know no matter what they are good at or are currently doing, there is always some way to help out if you are part of the Navy. This poster uses the “Band Wagon” effect: “With the aid of all the other propaganda devices, all of the artifices of flattery are used to harness the fears and hatreds, prejudices and biases, convictions and ideals common to a group. Thus is emotion made to push and pull us as members of a group onto a Band Wagon." This effect is used to show the “everyone else is doing it” aspect to make us feel obligated to join.

After reviewing the poster propaganda, conducting interviews, and examining statements by historians, I found there were three main characteristics of enlistment poster propaganda. At this time two discrepancies arose through the research: the “Band-Wagon effect” and the influence of money. The “Band-wagon effect” appeared to be utilized more often than I had anticipated. Money, though it was influential, was not widely employed in enlistment propaganda posters. The propaganda of this time was aimed at dependent, trusting, and distressed peoples. Because of their trust in the devotion of the government to protect and provide, they had no reason to doubt the message the posters conveyed. Therefore, it can be concluded that patriotism, fear, guilt, and the “Band-Wagon” mind-set were the main characteristics in enlistment poster propaganda during World War II in the United States of America.





© Copyright 2006 Steve-O (pricemac at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1109987-Propaganda-in-America-during-WWII