*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1114052-Thoughts-about-BioBlocks
Rated: E · Editorial · Writing.Com · #1114052
Haven't filled out your BioBlock? You should! Here's why.
Have you filled out your BioBlock yet? I have!

I understand that the BioBlock feature is optional. I also appreciate and respect people's choice in not completing it. However, lend me just a few minutes of your time, and maybe I can demonstrate to you why you should consider completing yours.

Initially, my BioBlock provided only very basic information about me. Then, as time went on, I added little pieces of information to more fully round out the picture. My most recent edit has been to include information about me that is extremely personal, but nonetheless, important to know.

"What is she talking about?" you ask. "More personal? Important to know?"

Yes. And I sigh thinking about it, knowing that I have bared all for the world to see, but I finally understood that for people to read the items I have written and to truly, honestly appreciate them, then they needed to know that the majority of the items in my portfolio are of an incredibly personal nature. I could easily (or maybe not quite that easily) rewrite the items in my portfolio so that no one would ever know that I live with a mental illness, but this action would do a disservice to myself and to the reader of my works. It is my own personal experience that lends credibility to that which I write. My link to the topic increases the impact that it can have.

So now I can hear people saying, "But I write fiction." or "I write on topics which are not even closely related to who I am." My response to this is, "So? As a reader, I would still like to know who you are."

I, as someone who enjoys reviewing, actually take the time to view someone's BioBlock. The BioBlock grounds me and provides perspective on who the writer is, where they are coming from, and how these influences may impact what the author has written.

I would like to emphasize that I am not trying to place my own expectations on whether people should fill out their BioBlock. Instead, I want to provide "food for thought" and an argument in support of why people should consider completing this feature of WDC. If someone has not taken the time to fill out their BioBlock, I do not let this be the determining factor in how I rate and review items, as I always focus on the item and its content. I just find the BioBlock helps me to make a connection with the author.
© Copyright 2006 Barbieistheone (barbieistheone at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1114052-Thoughts-about-BioBlocks