*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1114451-The-Anniversary-Gift
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Emotional · #1114451
A struggling artist's dreams finally come true...
Written for the "Daily Flash Fiction Challenge
Prompt: Write a story that includes a sketchbook, a hat, and a lucky object.
Entry for 06/03/06
______________

         The hastily scribbled words seemed to mock Officer Sherborn as he read them again.

         My luck just changed. Don't look for me.

         In the abandoned dusty Mustang was a worn cowboy hat and a sketchbook filled with drawings ranging from still life to the human anatomy. Each had been signed by John Meriwether – some eccentric artist that moved into town two months ago.

         “Darnedest thing I ever did see,” Sherborn muttered as his deputy ran up to him. “Any leads yet?”

         “No, sir,” Donaldson replied. “His neighbor don’t really know anything either. All they know is he just upped and left this mornin’. He didn’t even pack no luggage or nothin'.”

         “Hmph. You think you can make out what this means, son?” He handed the note to Donaldson, who looked at it with growing bemusement.

         “Maybe he won the lottery?” he offered with a sheepish smile.

         “Or maybe he killed himself,” Sherborn mumbled with a faraway look in his eyes. “Maybe it’s a suicide note and he done went and killed himself.”

         “But…where’s the body?”

         The two men looked at each other and then towards the heavens.

         “Well, God rest his soul, wherever he be,” Sherborn said with a solemn nod. “He was a darn good artist too.”

~~

         He rubbed the gold coin gently, a wistful smile on his visage as he glanced out the window. It was something his father had left him with, saying it would bring him good luck someday.

         He had finally sold his first picture and the money from the commission had financed this long awaited trip to Argentina. It was something Amy had longed to do while she was alive, but the cancer had taken her away from him all too soon.

         “Happy Anniversary, sweetheart,” he whispered. “Our wish has finally come true.”


Word Count: 300
© Copyright 2006 iKïyå§ama-House Targaryen (satet at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1114451-The-Anniversary-Gift