*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1119402-Memaw-Wasnt--A-Hero
Rated: E · Essay · Tribute · #1119402
What defines a hero? Was Memaw a hero?
Memaw Wasn’t A Hero - Or Was She?



Memaw was a hero. No, she didn't save a life. Or did she? She did save mine and my sister's and brother's when she took us in after being abandoned by our mother. But, that is not what made her a hero.

No, she didn't create, invent, or make anything special. She only made all our clothes, every stitch, except for some hand-me-downs from a cousin and one store-bought dress I begged her to let me buy, which turned out to be a disappointment compared to what Memaw made me.

No, she wasn't courageous. She was afraid of bugs, terrified of mice, too scared to drive after she drove the tractor up a tree. At the first hint of rain, she awoke us all to watch for the approaching storm, walking the floor in fear until the danger passed. But, I watched her stand up to my Mom's bulky 6'2" boyfriend who wanted to take us across the country with them to prove to the IRS that they were supporting us (they weren't). She let him know he would have to
take us over her dead body, and he might be missing certain body parts before her body was dead.

No, she didn't grab opportunity when it came. She gave up a career as teacher, then as postmaster, to raise her family and us when we needed her. She did, however, grab opportunity for me. She told me from age four on that I could be the valedictorian of my class. I heard it daily, and I did achieve that goal, due in part to her encouragement.

No, Memaw might not be a hero in most people's eyes.

Or would she? She had all the right qualities. She saved lives, she created something from almost nothing, she was courageous in the face of danger, and, most of all, she put her dreams and goals aside forever so that we could achieve ours.

Truly Memaw was a hero larger than life.
© Copyright 2006 Evelyn - Writing on Fire (meg3450 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1119402-Memaw-Wasnt--A-Hero