*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1123120-Hannahs-Story-attempt-two
by Jody N
Rated: 13+ · Other · Political · #1123120
A story about a woman coping with her world being turned on end. (revised 26/06/06)
The streets were strangely quiet for being so crowded. It was almost 4:00pm on a Tuesday, and many people were trying to wrap up their day. Still, there was not much talking going on. Many of the transactions were being completed with a hushed efficiency and wary glances toward the police patrolling the tree lined avenue. The streets in this part of the cite were dwarfed by towering sky scrappers and lined with stalls from the shops that made up the bottom storey of the towers.

Hannah was one of the people bustling down the street. A mostly unremarkable looking woman. She had her mousy brown hair tied back in a pony tail. She was on the short side of average and her build gave away the 6-year-old child she was on her way to gather. She had a bit of a distracted air. She was thinking about 10 things and worrying about 5 of them. Around her neck was a large cross. This was not a symbol of her faith, more one of her practical nature. She did not follow the religion it represented but she was not going to risk that becoming common knowledge. Her brown cotton shirt and flowing ankle length beige skirt were clinging to her from the unseasonably high temperatures and her nose was currently very wrinkled looking because of the heat enhanced smells of the street. A mix of the garbage yet to be picked up and pungent spices from the vendors lining the street.

She was already 15 minutes late for picking up her daughter Erica, and was not paying attention to where she was going. That last cup of coffee with her girls friends was a mistake. She knew she did not have time for it, and now she was paying for it. If only she could have skipped the shopping until later. Curse that store and it’s early closing. She should have just gone to the big box store, but the little fruit market was so much better and so hard to resist. She was trying to make up time and desperately hoping that her daughter would not be scared because she was late. She hurried around the corner and slammed right into a very large man. The force of impact made her fall back and, since her hands were full of various bags and items, she could not even try to soften her blow.

Collecting her scattered thoughts, and belongings, she looked up and could see a figure ringed by the sun. She blinked and brought her hand up to shade her eyes for a better look. He was a stern looking middle aged man. His very air betrayed his military background and his regal bearing told of his suddenly high position. She suspected that he was one of the ones who were more then happy to take on a leadership role and let counseling and comforting take a back seat.

She felt her heart catch in her throat and her mouth run dry. She mentally kicked herself. She knew better. She should have been paying attention. She forced her voice to say something. Any thing had to be better then just laying here terrified.

“I am sorry sir. I am such a klutz at times. Please excuse me.”

He looked down at her with an expression of slight disdain. His eyes flickered from her hair to her cross and then down to her wedding ring. As though he had made a decision, he turned away and left the unmistakable impression that she was no longer of any interest or importance.


“Remove her.” He ordered his two companions.

His escort, two uniformed officers, reached down to pull her up and out of the official’s way. The taller of the two was rough and efficient. He took his cue from the chaplain and treated her like so much trash. Grabbing her elbow roughly and trying to keep contact for as little time as possible. His slighter blond haired companion seemed to be trying to be gentle and shot her a look of apology before they moved on. She felt a shiver run up her back. She hated running into them and usually went well out of her way to avoid it.

“Could have been worse,” she muttered to herself after they had walked away.

“I only have a bruised tail bone, and have a bit of a scare, that’s all. Could have been far worse. Has been far worse for some.”

Still, she was still very shaken and had to lean against the wall for support. Her legs had become all rubbery and her heart seemed to be trying to leap out of her chest. From some where in the distance she heard a church start to mark the time. This snapped her out of her stunned state.

“Oh no! Erica!” She started to jog along the road. “Now I really am late!”

She broke into a half run down the last block and a half to her daughter’s school. When it came into view she could see a little figure, alone, swinging in the school yard park. The long disheveled blond hair and sparkly pink shoes could only belong to one child. Hannah slowed down now that she knew Erica was safe.

She slowly walked up to the play ground, enjoying watching her daughter play. She could hear her singing a little song and talking to her imaginary friends. At the door of the school stood the principal who pointed at his watch and looked a little stern. Hannah shrugged apologetically and mouthed “sorry”. He gave one last glare and walked back into the school.

Erica noticed Hannah and ran over to her calling out, “Mommy!”

“I am so glad to see you mommy. I thought you might have been eaten by trolls, or had a witch cast a spell on you or maybe even been carried off by a handsome prince. I would hate to tell daddy you were carried off by a prince mommy. I think he would miss you.”

She stared up with such a serious and concerned expression that Hannah could not help but smile. She would have laughed too, if she had not known that it would have broken Erica’s very earnest heart.

“Don’t worry boo boo. I dodged the troll, locked the witch in her own cupboard and told the prince that I am a happily married woman. It did take a little bit for me to get all of that done however, so I was a bit late. I am sorry. You didn’t wait long?”

“No mama. Besides, fritz kept me company.” She gestured to the air beside her.

“Hello Fritz.” Said Hannah. “I am sorry I kept you waiting as well.”

“He said it was ok mama, but he wanted to get going now. We are hungry and you said we would have cookies”

“So I did! Come on then. Get your bag and we will head off. Lets take the back way, I want to avoid the troll this time.”
© Copyright 2006 Jody N (littledem at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1123120-Hannahs-Story-attempt-two