*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1123385-Her-Final-Journey
Rated: E · Short Story · Death · #1123385
I don't know how to describe this story. It is what it is. Read it and find out.
The road is cold, and her feet are bare. Yet, still she walks. Bits of glass and gravel grind into her feet, but she continues to walk. No one knows where she is walking to, but she knows her exact destination, and her bloodied feet continue to carry her there. She can begin to see the bridge now, and she knows that her journey won't last much longer. Her auburn hair is shining so brightly in the moonlight, and her long snow white gown is softly flowing with the cool autumn breeze. Should someone happen to pass her by, she could be mistaken for an angel. But, she knows what she is, and she is much closer to a demon than an angel. She is at the bridge now, and her journey is nearly over. So is her life. She looks down below at the chilly water. The moonlight beams down on the river, making the water sparkle like a trail of diamonds. She knows what to do now. She doesn't even hesitate as she begins to climb upon the large concrete barriers that run along both sides of the bridge. She looks down at the water, and she smiles, knowing that it will be her last smile. She turns away from the river now, and takes one last deep breath. She knows now that it is time. She leans back and begins to let herself fall, her arms outstretched as if she is trying to fly. She opens her eyes and stares up at the star filled sky above her. She looks at the moon, and for just a moment, she sees it wink at her. That was her very last thought before she hit the water. Now her journey is over . . . or is it just beginning?
© Copyright 2006 CarolAshley (xxhhs_honeyxx at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1123385-Her-Final-Journey