*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1124422-The-Civil-War
by Ed.
Rated: E · Other · Fantasy · #1124422
The beginning of a new age...
This was one of the first things I ever wrote. It is the first part of a hsitory I've been building up for a while. Read and enjoy!

Ed.


And so it begins...

Royal Records:

Section: The recent history of the Vreezpot Empire

Sub-section: The Civil War

Written by: Alpha Commander Ervan Remoh, descendant of Lord Baron Ervan Remoh.


As we all have read, the past of the Vreezpot Empire, as recorded by the great Kyan Vrezpor, descendant of the founder of this empire who bore the same name, is full of heroism and valour. However, our time after that has been filled with cowardice and treachery. This history begins in 2050, a few years after King Jornio VIII death. He was replaced by a rather odd choice. As he had no living sons, his crown was supposed to past on to his nearest heir, who happened to be a Douzpot (for reasons that would get me shot if I went into them). Obviously people would not stand for this, which is why the Civil War broke out, and we were almost conquered by the Fourspots. If it weren’t for the army rising above its political differences, the result would have been catastrophic.

The Civil War itself was an interesting case. It started after the death of King Jornio and would continue for seven years. The sides were clearly divided. Most of the country was all for the overthrowing of our government if it meant a king. They believed that the system must survive, even if it meant the absorption of our empire into the tyrannical rule of the Douzpots. Very few remained loyal to the country. Ervan Remoh, Lord Baron of Chicodon was one of those, as were a few members of the king’s advisory council. They banded together and defended themselves well from attack, winning many victories. However, there were certain factors that helped them. Ervan Remoh’s connections with foreign bodies proved extremely important. In particular, his connection with a certain Queen JK (whose name has never been recorded), the ruler of the Coconut People who live beyond the Southern Isles, was a lifesaver, as she came to the rescue when Ervan’s army was almost overthrown. Equally important were the Kokiri of the Kokiri Forest, which lies within Chicodon’s borders. At first they stayed out of the war, as they often do, unconcerned with the follies of man. However, when they learnt that the forest was going to be destroyed by the rebels for not stopping Ervan Remoh, they rose up and formed a tenuous alliance with Ervan. After the war he maintained strong connections with the Kokiri, allowing the Forest to always remain within his sphere of influence (although it must be understood that he in no way actually controlled the people there, but was given an insight into their affairs, and allowed to make suggestions on the running of the government).

For four years Ervan held out, managing to protect his county with a mixture of tenacity, courage, a dash of magic, and a pot load of luck. In the fifth year a chance came. Both Queen JK and the current ruler of the Kokiri (who live for hundreds of years usually. The record lifespan for Kokiri is 981 years. For humans it is 175, and this was with the help of magic) decided to answer his call at the same time, allowing for a massive push against the enemy and a possible end to the war. Unfortunately, the enemy regrouped around the Empire’s capital, Serenath, before the war could be won. For three long years the war continued to wage. Finally, on the 9th of September 2057, the Battle of the Plains of Veladin began. It is here that the famous line that has gone down in history, the line that is shouted before every battle, was first spoken:

‘For the grass and the trees, by sword and shield, we fight!’

The armies attacked each other ruthlessly. However, the rebels could not break Ervan’s lines, many falling under the cannon fire of the Coconut tribes. Yet so many kept coming that nothing could break through their sheer force of numbers. Nothing but the Kokiri. Wielding incantations that man could not possibly match in strength, they blew massive gaps in the enemy lines. Their skill with magic was matched by their strength with the sword, and their ability to use the forces of nature to achieve their goals. After a powerful struggle, the rebels finally surrendered. This victory came at a cost, though. 1,487 Coconuts, 5,672 Kokiri and 11,756 soldiers lay dead, along with 200,000 rebel fighters. The country itself was shattered. No longer would it be the envy of its fellows. No longer would it be capable of defending itself against an onslaught. No longer would it truly be an Empire.
© Copyright 2006 Ed. (ervanremoh at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1124422-The-Civil-War