*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1125971-Un-Momento
Rated: E · Short Story · Comedy · #1125971
A crisis of independence

Written for
The Writer's Cramp  [13+]
Write the best story or poem in 24 hours or less and win 10K GPs!
by Sophy


Prompt:
For many folks in the US, this afternoon starts the beginning of a long holiday weekend. In honor of this US holiday weekend for July 4th, write a COMEDY STORY where the main character is an American living in another country (any country other than the US) - and he/she is trying to convince his/her boss why they should be granted a four day weekend to celebrate America's Independence - but so far the boss isn't buying it.


Un Momento



“But … I have the time coming. How often do I ever take the day off?” Janine threw her best pouty face at her boss.

“You are off every Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday, and every other Sunday.”

“Yes, but, when I’m scheduled, I’m here, aren’t I?”

“Which is why you haven’t been fired.” Ms. Rhineston poured steaming coffee into her huge mug, dismissing her.

Janine thought a moment, scrunching her nose at the bitter smell of the black liquid. Rhineston, by all rights, should at least look somewhat perky with as much of the stuff as she drank. Instead, she absorbed the bitterness of it. Maybe should should try it with cream and sugar to add mellowness to her soul, Janine mused.

“But….” She stepped up beside the old bat again. Even working only seven days every two weeks was too much at times, considering who she had to deal with all four hours of each day. “It’s supposed to be a holiday. You know, Independence Day, the Fourth of July. It’s a holiday.”

Turning, Rhineston threw her that infuriating look, the one that said “one more word and I’ll send you to your room.” She couldn’t, though. This was a workplace, not her home. “Janine.” The old bat took a step forward, attempting to be intimidating. “This is Spain, not America. The Fourth of July is not a holiday here. We are open as we are every day. Go back to work now, and be here Tuesday as you are scheduled.”

Janine wouldn’t be inimidated, though, just because the others were. “I’m American, even if I’m not in America. It still counts.”

“This is a crisis center.” Rhineston’s back straightened, fingers tightening around her black mug. “You are the only one scheduled at that time who speaks English, which is another reason you have not been fired. You have to be here.”

“So much for independence.” Defeated, Janine muttered to the floor.

“If you want your independence, dear, feel free to leave your resignation letter on my desk.”

Watching the old bat waddle off into her office, Janine sighed. Her dad would throw a fit if she left another job. She had plans, though. She told her new friends she was throwing an independence party on the fourth. What could she do?

With another sigh, she returned to her desk and stared at the phone in front of her. There had to be other English speakers at the center. She had never bothered to find out. It was a paycheck that came about because she could talk people into or out of anything, except for Ms. Rhineston. She was good at it. Tuesday, though, was a holiday.

Poking at the phone with the eraser end of a pencil, Janine got an idea. It was a crisis center, right? Well, she had a crisis. Picking up the receiver, she dialed.

“Diaz Centro de Crisis.”

“Yes, I have a big problem.”

“No hablo Ingles. Un momento. I give you americano.”

See. Janine knew there were more English speakers than only her. The light on her second line started flashing. Not now, she sighed. Switching lines, she heard a familiar voice.

“I have americano para usted. Un momento.” The line went silent.


(543 words)
© Copyright 2006 Voxxylady (voxxylady at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1125971-Un-Momento