*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1131300-Home-of-the-Gray-Dog---Segment-09
Rated: 18+ · Chapter · Family · #1131300
Chapters 41 through 45
Chapter 41

Jack reached Itzam first and reached out to lift her into his arms.

         “Don’t touch her!” yelled a young voice behind him. Jack stopped in midmotion, stunned by the anger in Ricky’s voice. “You want to kill her? Don’t you know nothing?” The former street urchin, only recently rescued by one of Walker’s recruiters, roughly pushed Jack’s hands from where they were inches away from Itzam.

         Walker finally arrived next to the small group and helped Jack to his feet. “Ricky’s right. Moving an injured person, Jack, can kill or at the very least paralyze them.” He closed the cell phone he’d used to call the nearby hospital. Looking around at the silent and scared children huddled together nearby, he motioned Joshua over to him.

         “Joshua,” Walker said quietly, “take the rest of the kids back to the party. Jack and I will be with Itzam at the hospital.” He suddenly thought of something. “Find Sam and tell her what happened. Have her call me on my cell when she is away from all our guests, okay?”

         “Okay, Mr. Walker.” Joshua looked as if he wanted to say something else, but Walker gave him a gentle push toward the other children.

         The sound of a siren wailed in the distance as the ambulance raced up the long driveway in front of the mansion. When the vehicle rounded the corner of the large building, the siren’s earsplitting sound caused guests outside behind the mansion to stop what they were doing. They stared in surprised horror as the red and white ambulance passed them heading for the barn.

         Inside the barn, Jack refused to leave Itzam’s side as the two orderlies placed her on a backboard then lifted her onto a gurney. Over their objections, he climbed into the ambulance with the still unconscious child and one of the orderlies. The other man got into the cab of the ambulance and headed it back toward the hospital just over the hill.

         Walker watched it drive away, a frown on his face. Something nudged him in the back, and he turned to come face to face with Savannah. “Come on, girl. Let’s get you back in your stall.” He patted the horse on her head and said in a sad tone of voice, “This wasn’t your fault. It’s mine. I should have been watching the children more closely.”

         He spent the next few minutes rounding up the various animals and putting them safely back in their various pens. When he heard someone entering the barn, it didn’t surprise him to hear a dog’s sharp excited barking followed by the voice of the dog’s owner.

         “Hush up, Valentine.” Felix started across the barn floor to where Walker was standing near the covered chicken coop. “Sorry, Walker, she’s been overexcited all day.” He turned to glare at the still barking Irish Wolfhound. “Be quiet or you can’t come with us.”

         “With us? Where?” Walker brushed the sweat soaked hair off his forehead when asking this. He had spent a frustrating time trying to corral the lambs. The playful little animals insisted on waiting until he got to each of them before gamboling away just out of reach.

         Not bothering to answer the tired questions of his friend, Felix simply guided Walker outside to where he’d parked one of the mansion’s SUVs. Within minutes, Felix drove the vehicle containing the two men and a finally quiet dog the short distance over the hill to the hospital.

         Neither man spoke, both worried about the condition of Itzam. Is she hurt badly? Is she even still alive after such a terrible fall? These and other thoughts ran through their minds while the SUV raced along the wooded country road between the mansion and hospital.

Chapter 42

While Felix and Walker were on their way to the hospital, Joshua headed full speed toward the mansion where he hoped to find Samantha. Already the other children were spreading the news of Itzam’s bad fall to the guests. Because it was close to dinnertime, many of them had gone inside. A stream of people was heading towards the dining room where the aroma from Chef Geoffrey’s marvelous dishes acted like a fragrant magnet.

         “Samantha,” yelled Joshua repeatedly, almost out of breath from running. He saw her coming out of the sunroom and turned in her direction, still yelling in his excitement. Rumors of what happened in the barn had just reached her, and other worried guests moved closer to listen when Samantha reached Joshua.

         “Okay, Joshua,” she said to the boy. “Catch your breath.” She put her hands gently on the boy’s shoulders and waited silently for what she feared he would say. The rumors about Itzam’s fall had grown from a simple fall off the horse to her dead body lying bloody and broken on the barn floor. The little girl from Belize had won the hearts of all who met her. Many were silently crying as the incorrect or premature news of her death spread throughout the party guests.

* * *



         Meanwhile, Felix and Walker reached the hospital in record time and joined Jack to wait for word on Itzam’s condition. He had been pacing back and forth in the ER’s waiting room, his blond hair in disarray from running his frantic fingers through it. After what seemed like hours to the three men, Dr. Ellison came through the swinging doors of the ER, her face not revealing whether the news was good or bad.

         The head of the ER trauma team decided to take pity on the men, and her mouth stretched into an unfamiliar position. Only the man she was dating, the mansion’s Chef Geoffrey, had seen this usually dour woman like this. Felix and Walker looked at each other in confusion, not recognizing her attempt at a smile. Jack ignored them and stepped into the awkward moment to ask, “Is Itzam okay? Can I see her?”

         “She’s got a badly bruised arm and a concussion, but she’s going to be all right.” The words from Dr. Ellison caused Jack to sit down heavily in one of the plastic chairs. His relief about the child he had grown to love as his own was almost overwhelming. At his inquiring look to his second unanswered question, the doctor pointed toward the elevator. “We brought her up to the medical floor, and you all can go up and see her in a few minutes.” She next gave them a stern command, her sympathy for them once more going into hiding. “You have five minutes and only five, and then you have to let her rest. She’s staying overnight for observation, and I don’t want to see any of you again until tomorrow morning. Now, scoot!”

         With those firm words, the men did indeed scoot, hurrying to the elevator and up to the medical unit on the third floor. Almost as an afterthought, Walker pulled out his cell phone to call Samantha and let her know the good news. His good mood, caused by hearing the good outcome of Itzam’s accidental fall, didn’t last long. It diminished somewhat when Samantha told him had occurred in the hours he’d been away from the mansion.

         A visitor had arrived after dinner, just as the birthday party was breaking up. It was definitely not a person Walker cared to see.

Chapter 43

“What the hell is he doing here?” muttered Walker, slamming shut his cell phone. Felix looked at him curiously but held his tongue. Rarely had he seen his friend this annoyed. Jack also looked over at Walker, but every question disappeared from his mind when the elevator doors opened to show they’d arrived on the medical unit floor. All Jack could think of was seeing Itzam and making sure Dr. Ellison had told them the truth about the little girl.

         The men went quickly down the long corridor to Itzam’s private room. She was sitting up in bed, bandages on both her arm and head. Her face brightened with a big smile when she saw them coming through the open doorway.

         “Can I go now?” she asked slowly, pronouncing each word carefully. Her English had improved over the time she’d been at the mansion, helped along with Joshua’s excellent and patient tutelage. When excited or tired, a few words of Q'eqchi, her native language, still crept into her conversation.

         Walker spoke before Jack could get a word out. “No, Sweet Pea, you have to stay here tonight.” When a single teardrop started sliding down her cheek, he continued, “Would you like Jack to stay with you for a bit longer?” Not waiting but taking the return of her smile as an answer, he asked over his shoulder to Jack, “Would you mind? I can send the SUV back for you in a couple hours.”

         “Of course I don’t mind. This will give me a chance to finish the story about Rumpelstiltskin.” Lately, Jack had been reading stories at night to some of the children still living at the mansion. The fairy tales by the brothers Grimm were particular favorites, and Jack enjoyed using various voices for the characters in the stories. People going by the room on the first floor where he and the children congregated at that time would stop at the sound of the children’s laughter. They would peek into the room and more often than not accept the invitation to stay.

         “There, Itzam,” Walker said, finding a chair and sitting down next to her bed. “That’s settled. And, guess what?”

         “What, Mr. Walker?” she asked shyly, still in awe of this tall, bearded man.

         “You are going to have a special treat for supper, or so Dr. Ellison told us. How does poached tripe covered with broccoli sound?” Walker turned to grin at the sound of Felix’s laughter. Itzam looked from one man to the other, unsure of the source of their amusement. She had never heard of tripe, the muscular lining of a cow’s stomach, never mind having tasted it.

         “Ignore them, Itzam,” said an annoyed voice from the doorway. Dr. Ellison strode into the room, one finger tapping the wristwatch on her other arm. “You are getting a delicious meal sent over by Chef Geoffrey, especially cooked for you.” She again made a point of looking at her watch. “You two, your five minutes are up. Jack can stay, if he’s very good and doesn’t get Itzam too tired out with his stories.”

         Knowing better than to argue, Felix and Walker said their good-byes and followed Dr. Ellison back down the corridor to the elevator. When the doors opened, and the men were getting on the elevator, she motioned Walker to lean down. Giving him a quick kiss on his cheek, she said in a brusque voice, “Happy Birthday, Walker! Now go away and let me get back to work.”

         The muffled sound of Walker’s laughter reached her from behind the now closed doors. This would be the last time he laughed that evening, for ahead of him was the meeting with the unwelcome visitor.

Chapter 44

Still limping slightly from his accidental fall weeks earlier, Walker slowly entered the large entrance room of the mansion. It had been a long exhausting day for him with the excitement of the birthday party, the fear for Itzam’s wellbeing, and now the arrival of an unwelcome guest. He spotted Samantha near the unattended front desk and went toward her.

         “Where is he?” Not waiting for an answer, he went behind the modern wooden desk and slumped down into the matching chair. I’m getting too old for this! went through his mind.

         Samantha smiled in understanding at her tired boss before answering. “I put him up in one of the bungalows.” She went to stand behind him and, without thinking, started massaging the back of his neck. Upon hearing his soft groan of satisfaction as the tension left him, Samantha realized what she was doing.

         “Thanks, Sam, I needed that.” Walker’s right eyebrow raised at seeing the faint redness spread over her face. He enjoyed teasing the serious woman, but often didn’t understand what caused her to blush. “Okay, tell me all about what’s been going on.”

         Samantha walked a short distance away from the desk to give herself time to gather her composure. Her fingers still could feel the softness of Walker’s neck and her almost overpowering desire to run them through his dark curls. She put one hand to her face and smelled the slight aroma of his warm skin lingering there. Giving herself a mental shake, she returned to the desk before answering. “Well, he arrived a few hours ago. I guess I forgot to tell you he was coming.”

         “You knew?” Walker frowned and sat up straight in the chair, all fatigue gone. “How long have you known?”

         Aware of Walker’s annoyance and not sure of the cause of it, Samantha decided to tell him everything, the recent tender feelings for him forgotten. “We’ve been emailing ever since he returned home last year. I have no idea why you dislike him so much, but I found him to be perfectly charming when he was here.”

         “I don’t dislike him,” Walker lied. “Where did you get that idea?”

         “From the way you glare whenever his name comes up. Even Jack’s noticed.” Samantha smiled to take the edge of her abrupt comments and continued, “He’s excited about seeing your caverns found after he left here before.”

         Walker stood, wanting to end the conversation. “And I bet he wants to slobber all over your hand again.” Leaving Samantha stunned by this last comment, he headed toward the kitchen, muttering but loud enough so she heard him, “Why the hell couldn’t he stay in England where he belongs?”

Chapter 45

The next morning, yawning from a sleepless night, Walker slowly made his way to the dining room for breakfast. Might as well get it over with, he thought, not looking forward to meeting this unexpected visitor. However, Walker knew he had to be polite, if only to keep Samantha happy. For some reason, she seemed to enjoy the company of this man.

         As he entered through the open double doors, he saw Samantha and Jack at a table in the back of the large dining room. Sitting way too close to Samantha, in Walker’s grumpy opinion, was Colin Edgeworth, descendant of mansion’s builder, Jason Edgeworth.

         “Hello, old man,” called out the younger Englishman, causing heads throughout the room to turn toward Colin. Some of them had met him the previous year on his first trip to the mansion, and they also remembered almost losing Walker to a dangerous childhood illness soon afterwards.

         When Walker reached their table, Samantha smiled at him and motioned him to the last empty chair. “You remember Colin, don’t you?” At Walker’s nod, she continued, unaware of the tension emanating from him, “Well, I promised him a tour of the caverns after breakfast. You’re welcome to join us.”

         “No, I have something else I have to do, but thanks for the invitation.”

         Walker’s cold tone of voice, when saying this overly polite statement, caused Jack to look up from his breakfast and stare intently at his friend. He had often wondered why Walker disliked Colin, unaware of how the sight of Samantha leaving with Colin last year for a simple evening date still bothered and confused Walker. “Is it something I can help you with?” he asked. “I’m bringing Itzam home later on, but I’ve got some free time now.”

         Walker finished giving his breakfast order to the waiter assigned to this table before answering Jack. After the waiter had disappeared into the kitchen, Walker smiled for the first time this morning. “As a matter of fact, I could use your help. Remember what Harriet said yesterday about needing more room at the hospital?” Dr. Harriet Ellison, head of the ER Trauma Department, was temporarily acting as the hospital’s manager. The recent death of the previous manager from a heart attack had her doing double duty until those on the hospital board found a replacement.

         Forgetting Colin for the moment, Samantha gave Walker her full attention. “Is there anything you need me to do?”

         “No, Sam, you keep your visitor entertained since he’s come all this way to see you.” Walker’s comment surprised Samantha for she was sure she had told him Colin was interested in seeing the caverns below the mansion and not her. Before she could respond, though, the waiter returned with Walker’s breakfast, and the moment to contradict him passed.

         Leaving most of his meal untouched, half an hour later Walker excused himself from the table, leaving Samantha to wonder what was wrong with her boss. She also had missed seeing the amused look on Colin’s face at Walker’s abrupt manner toward him.

         Only Jack, before he got up to join Walker, noticed Colin’s amusement. Why is he really here? he wondered. Did Colin really come all the way from England just to check out the caverns, or should Walker worry about losing Samantha to him?

Continued in next segment.
Home of the Gray Dog - Segment 10  (18+)
Chapters 46 through 50.
#1131302 by J. A. Buxton


© Copyright 2006 J. A. Buxton (judity at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1131300-Home-of-the-Gray-Dog---Segment-09