*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1131309-Home-of-the-Gray-Dog---Segment-03
Rated: 18+ · Chapter · Melodrama · #1131309
Chapters 11 through 15
Chapter 11

Jack stopped the SUV in front of the bungalow, and Felix got out and walked up the short pathway. When he unlocked and opened the door to the small building, Valentine ran past him. She raced down the road in the opposite direction from the SUV, and then swung around and stopped.

         Felix walked toward her to attach the leash to the wide leather collar, but the dog decided it was time to play. Every time Felix got close, off would run Valentine again. If Felix went to her left, she’d race off to her right. When he went to the right, the dog didn’t even hesitate but ran to the left. Once or twice, she even made a big loop around him, stopping just out of reach.

         In the SUV behind him, Felix heard laughter from Delia and shouted words of encouragement and unwanted advice from Jack.

         “Go to the left, Felix,” he’d yell. “No, she’s outwitting you. Are you going to let a dumb animal get the best of you?” Jack got out of the SUV when Felix turned around and waved a fist in mock anger at him. “You need help? Delia could always run Valentine down in her wheelchair.” Jack walked around the vehicle to stand beside the passenger side door. “What do you think, Delia? Does he need your help catching Valentine?”

         Delia leaned out the open window, tears streaming down her cheeks from laughing so hard. She finally got out between slowly diminishing giggles, “It wouldn’t be fair, two females against one male.”

         The chase went on for another ten minutes with a lot of exertion and a few curse words in French from Felix. Finally, though, Valentine permitted Felix to leash her. After that, still muttering in French, he shoved the suddenly docile dog none too gently onto the back seat of the SUV. She stretched out with an angelic look on her furry face next to Felix, who was wheezing and trying to catch his breath.

         Delia twisted around to look at the pair behind her. “Felix, she’s beautiful.” Valentine abruptly stood on the seat and placed her big front paws on the back of the two front seats. This time she ignored the back of Jack’s neck to stare intently into Delia’s eyes. Delia proved she really was a dog person at that moment by not pulling away from the gigantic dog whose teeth were only inches from her face.

         With Delia whispering words of admiration at the dog, and the dog listening attentively to each and every one of them, Jack decided it was time to get them back to where they could all warm up. He slowly drove the SUV away from the bungalow and headed for the mansion.

         Felix just sat behind them, a smile of utter contentment on his still ruddy face. I may have found the woman of my dreams, his thoughts went. Now if I can only get her to whisper sweet nothings to me instead of to Valentine, life would be perfect.

Chapter 12

Joe's current philosophy of life was "before you can smell the roses, you've got to spread a lot of fertilizer." After many unhappy years of figuratively spreading fertilizer, he felt grateful for the rosy future ahead of him.

         Before moving to Walker’s mansion when he was an old man, Joe Carpenter had dabbled in many business ventures, failing at most. Spending his early childhood in Alaska had started him off with an adventurous spirit. The sudden tragic death of a friend, however, shattered this courage and made him pull back from taking chances. A failed marriage years later caused his remaining carefree spirit to shrink even more.

         Joe had sired Billy, his only child, in an uncharacteristic moment of passion and named him after his childhood friend. After many years of growing apart from his father, Billy and his wife eventually moved Joe into a place for unwanted aging parents. Actually, it was a pleasant nursing home, but the manager felt it was better for Joe to live in a place surrounded by caring people who had more time to spend with him.

         One rainy October day, five years after he first came to the nursing home, Joe moved to Walker’s mansion and started the second phase of his life. Now, more than a year later, he walked in a confident manner, shoulders erect, and head held high. This morning, he came to the front desk where Walker was waiting for Jack to return from the hospital with Felix and the lawyer injured in the car crash the day before.

         Without preamble, Joe said, “Walker, the rumor is spreading around the mansion that you’re going to build an orphanage over the hill from here. Is that true?” He stood there, patiently watching the various emotions cross Walker’s face. His admiration of the younger man knew no limits, and he hoped Walker would agree to his plan.

         At first, Walker hesitated to answer Joe’s question, wondering if the elderly man in front of him was going to complain about having more noisy children nearby. He then remembered how Joshua and Sue Beth spent long hours with Joe, listening to his many fascinating stories about Alaska. Finally, he realized this was as good a time as any to let his guests know what he wanted to do in Hannah Edgeworth’s memory.

         “Yes, I’m hoping to have an orphanage located about half a mile from here, on the other side of the mansion from the hospital.” He stopped to see Joe’s reaction, but saw no signs of annoyance. In fact, a slow smile started on Joe’s face. Walker continued, pausing now and then to let Joe complain about this plan, but the other man stood there with an ever-growing grin. “I have an architect from San Francisco here to help develop the plans, and a children’s advocacy lawyer should arrive any minute. She’s going to work with us in making sure we follow all the laws necessary to protect the children.”

         “That’s wonderful news, Walker,” Joe finally said. “Many of your guests have grandchildren they haven’t seen lately, and this would be good for them and the orphaned kids when they get here.” He stopped, trying to decide how to go on. “Do you think some of us could work on the staff over there when you get to that point? It’s not that we’re bored. You’ve given us so many ways to spend our time, but some of us here could help and would love to.”

         Walker, as usual, understood how important it was for a person to feel useful, no matter what their age or background. “I must tell Jack he’s falling down on the job. Why didn’t my idea man think of it?” He punched Joe gently in his upper arm. “Way to go, Joe. I’m putting you in charge of finding people interested in helping out. You can give me a list of them once I finalize my plans.”

         Walker watched Joe head toward the game rooms, remembering the condition Joe had been in on his arrival more than a year ago. He’d seen him change from a gray person, gray in face and gray in character, to this strong confident man, an inspiration to others. After Joe disappeared down the corridor leading to the game rooms, Walker looked out the front window and saw the mansion’s SUV with Jack driving pull up in front.

         “Do they have Miss Perry with them?” He swung around at the sound of Samantha’s voice. “It sure took them long enough to drive from the hospital back here.” She walked to the front door and opened it. “You’d think we had all day to wait for them.”

          Walker’s hope that Samantha’s good mood had returned disappeared at her irritated words. “Jack told me they were dropping Felix off at the bungalow to get his puppy.” He joined her, and his mouth dropped open in shock. Released by Felix from the back seat and relishing the sudden freedom, Valentine bounded out, every inch of her aimed at the two people standing by the mansion’s door.

         Walker managed to get out, “That’s a puppy?” before over one hundred pounds of dog playfully pounced on him. He waved his hands uselessly in front of his face, trying to avoid the slobber from Valentine’s wet tongue.

         When Felix got there and pulled the dog off his boss, Jack couldn’t resist saying, “Well, Walker, how do you like the little puppy? I can’t wait until Rufus meets her.”

         Walker groaned, thinking of the upcoming meeting between the dog and the resident Maine Coon cat, Rufus. He had no doubts about which animal would come out of that confrontation as top dog.

         In this case, though, it would be top cat.

Chapter 13

Leaving Valentine by the front door, Felix and Jack returned to help Delia Perry. After Jack removed the wheelchair from the back of the SUV, Felix lifted Delia out of the vehicle’s front seat then placed her in the chair.

         Samantha watched as Felix, followed closely by Jack, carefully pushed the injured lawyer into the warmth of the mansion’s large front room, and then closed the door behind them. “Welcome, Mrs. Perry, to Maison du Renard Rouge,” Samantha said pleasantly. Walker and Jack gave silent sighs of relief that their friend’s recent vile mood temporarily was under control.

         Delia, unaware of the tension around her, smiled at the other woman before saying, “Please, my friends call me Delia.” Seeing Samantha’s nod of acknowledgement, she continued, “I hope I haven’t been too much trouble for you. Jack told me you had to change your plans for me to stay at one of your charming bungalows. This was so your staff could care for me here instead.”

         Walker jumped into the conversation before Samantha could say anything. “Delia, it was no problem at all.” He missed Samantha’s quick frown of annoyance at this blatant lie. “We’ve fixed up rooms on the second floor for you, and the elevator will handle your wheelchair easily.” He turned to Jack and Felix who were hovering nearby. “Why don’t you guys show Delia to her room so she can rest for a bit? We can all meet up in my apartment for lunch and discuss the plans for the orphanage then.”

         Walker and Samantha watched the trio cross the room to the elevator located on the far left side. As the glass elevator ascended to the second floor, they heard Delia’s laughter responding to something one of the men said.

         Walker glanced at Samantha. “She seems nice, doesn’t she? Rather young for a lawyer, though. She can’t be more than 30, can she?” The minute these words left his mouth, he regretted it.

         Samantha whirled to face him, practically spitting out the words, “I wouldn’t know, Walker. You should ask her if you’re so curious.”

         “I’m not curious, Sam, just making an idle comment.” Walker’s confused expression as he said this was to her back since Samantha was angrily walking away from him toward the dining room. “Damn it,” he now said to the empty room, “what is wrong with that blasted woman? Maybe I’d better see if Edith can find out before Sam says something one of us will regret.”

Chapter 14

That afternoon and for the next week, Walker’s apartment was the meeting place for plans about the orphanage. Felix and Walker spearheaded the discussion about designing the orphanage. At the same time, Delia researched the problems related to running a private place for children, while Jack expedited the legal paperwork to do this. Samantha was conspicuously absent during these initial lengthy meetings.

         Finally, after Samantha had once again angrily told Walker to leave her alone, he tracked down his mother for help. “Edith, could you have a talk with Sam and ask her what’s wrong?” Walker had located Edith in her suite reading to the four children. This elderly woman finally found an outlet for all the love stored inside her during a long lonely life. Being surrounded by happy children was the second best experience she had ever enjoyed. Finding her long-lost son was the best. Even Itzam, who was just beginning to understand English, found it comforting to be with Edith.

         “Walker, what do you want me to do?” his mother asked, standing and walking to an area of the room where the children couldn’t hear them. “I can’t just come out and tell her she’s behaving like a female dog with an object up her anus.” She smiled, watching her son work his way through that sentence.

         Walker finally grinned at her colorful metaphor. “Okay, I guess you can’t do that, but maybe just a woman-to-woman gabfest over coffee? Jack and I are getting desperate and hate to see Sam this unhappy. Please, for us?” He stopped smiling when he continued, “We miss her and want the old Sam back. If anyone can find out what’s wrong, it’s you. Will you do it?”

         “Okay,” said Edith, “but if it’s something you or Jack have done, it’s up to you to fix it. Agreed?”

         “Agreed.” Knowing his mother would let him know why the change in his good friend, Walker pushed that problem to the back of his mind. He changed the subject. “How are Itzam and Mike getting along? Is there anything either of them need?”

         “Look for yourself, son.” Edith turned around to where the four children were playing, an expression of joy on her face when saying that last word. Even after all this time, she considered it a miracle to have found the child she had given up at birth for adoption. She knew now that he’d made his home a place for abused and neglected elders in the hopes of finding and bringing her to it. The day when she realized who Walker was always would remain a magical memory to her.

         After satisfying himself that the children were happy for the moment and cared for by Edith, Walker left to find Felix. He had agreed to show the architect the area on his extensive property where he hoped to build the orphanage. With the weather once more pleasant enough to be outside for any length of time, both men wanted to find the ideal spot. Only then could Felix start putting his preliminary designs on paper.

         When Beatrice Walsh, the children’s usual babysitter, arrived, Edith left the children in her care to walk to Samantha’s nearby suite. She knew Walker’s assistant would probably be there in her small office. Samantha efficiently handled the seemingly endless paperwork regarding the running of his large mansion.

         When Samantha opened the door to Edith’s gentle knocking, a frown was on her face at the interruption. It disappeared quickly, replaced by a smile when she saw who was at the door. “Please, Edith, come in.” She motioned Edith into the living room. “Can I get you some tea? I was just about to make myself a cup.”

         “I’d love one. Do you have time for a little talk?” Edith sat down in a comfortable overstuffed chair while Samantha returned to her small kitchen. Because of the opening between the kitchen and the living room’s dining section, constructed to allow the passage of food between the rooms, the two women were able to carry on a conversation without shouting.

         “Of course I do, Edith. Is anything in particular bothering you?”

         Hearing those words, Edith knew she had the perfect opening to find out what was upsetting Samantha and causing her bad mood.

Chapter 15

While Edith and Samantha were about to have a revealing and unsettling conversation, Walker left with Felix through the mansion’s back entrance into the cold February air. The weak sun was attempting to melt the snow from the recent storm without much success. Patches of slush and ice made walking treacherous, and Walker slipped once to land ungracefully on his backside. Valentine, who had come along with the two men, started dancing around him, thinking this was a new game to play.

         “Don’t just stand there laughing,” growled Walker to Felix, trying to ward off the animal’s big feet. “Either help me up or grab your little “puppy” before he decides to sit on me.”

         Felix didn’t stop laughing, but did reach down and help the other man to stand. “Sorry, Walker, but I did warn you Valentine loves the snow.” By now, they had walked about half a mile behind the mansion and were heading toward a large field dotted here and there with beautiful pine trees.

         To their left, way off in the distance behind a small hill, they could see the roof of the hospital. Out of sight but near the hospital were the small bungalows for staff of both the mansion and hospital. Temporary visitors like Felix could also stay there rather than at the more crowded mansion.

         On the right side of the mansion was a small lake, now covered with ice. Joshua had spent many hours there during the winter months learning how to ice skate. Jack, no slouch at this outdoor sport, would accompany the boy and his younger sister whenever they could wheedle him into doing it. After one painful fall, Sue Beth happily watched them from the side of the lake, teasing them with the occasionally thrown snowball.

         Now Walker turned to Felix. “I was thinking we might build the orphanage back here. It would be near enough for the older people to walk to if they wanted.” Being an only child, Walker’s only experience with children was with his two young wards. He knew, though, from the memory of the first day Sue Beth and Joshua had arrived from San Francisco, how much his elderly guests missed having children around them. An orphanage filled with children nearby would benefit everyone. At least he hoped it would.

         Felix turned slowly around in a circle, eyeing the area in all directions. “Well, we could cut down some of those trees…”

         Before he could continue, Walker vehemently interrupted him. “No! We’ll build around the trees if we have to, but the trees stay.”

         “Okay, sorry I mentioned it.” Felix was a bit surprised at Walker’s response to his innocent suggestion, but mentally filed this interesting bit of information about the man away. “I can design something in and around the trees if you don’t mind an odd-shaped building, maybe something like an S or perhaps a crooked U.” Already, Felix could visualize something along these lines, unique in style but functional as well as perfect for the wooded setting.

         Wanting to put these ideas on paper, he called to Valentine, who had raced off to explore some interesting smells among the trees. Tracing their steps back to the mansion, Walker could practically feel the architect’s excitement and looked forward to seeing what Felix would design.

Continued in next segment
 Home of the Gray Dog - Segment 04  (18+)
Chapters 16 through 20
#1131307 by J. A. Buxton



© Copyright 2006 J. A. Buxton (judity at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1131309-Home-of-the-Gray-Dog---Segment-03