*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1132853-Maybelline-Mystery-Chapter1
Rated: ASR · Chapter · Teen · #1132853
Once again Catherine's life will be turned upside down.
I stood there frozen, unable to blink, think, scream or even breathe, as if hypnotized by the headlights of the car speeding towards me.
Suddenly the lights were the only thing I could see, the roar of the engine and the blaring of horn were the only things I could hear and I could smell the heat radiating from it. At the last moment I reacted, dropping the jar I’d been holding and raising my arms in front of my face closing my eyes tight against the burning bright light and waited for the impact and for death. It never came. At least that one didn’t.
“Catherine!”
I suddenly felt something hard as a rock hit into me from the side and I was lifted off the ground and knocked to the side. As I hit the ground and rolled away I heard a loud bang and a crash like glass breaking. I raised my head and through a haze of pain and confusion I saw that the car had finally come to a stop and its headlights were blinking erratically. A man had gotten out but he was on his cell phone talking erratically and loudly but surprisingly I could not understand what he was saying. He wasn’t even looking at me but at his car.
At first I thought that rude and kind of stupid. Didn’t he see me lying here? Then he turned and did see me and he began yelling even more loudly into his phone as he rushed over to me. He was lifting my head up and checking my neck for maybe my pulse. Then finally I heard him.
“This one’s alive! Please hurry!”
This one? What was he talking about now? I turned my head slightly in his hands to look back at his car. There was something lying on the hood; a huge black shape in a bright red T-shirt. I suddenly remembered someone calling my name but it couldn’t be.
Could it?

“Catherine!”
I shot up, gasping for breath to calm my racing heart. My mother was holding me, concern and fright in her eyes as she stroked my face.
“Was it another dream Cathy?” she asked softly.
“Yeah but don’t worry I’m fine mum.” I smiled at her but she wasn’t convinced even though she let me go. “Shouldn’t you try to get to work early? I mean it is your first day.”
She laughed. It was a comforting sound for she hadn’t laugh much during the past few months. “No. I decided I’d take you to school today. It’s been so long since I last took you to school. I think it was kindergarten.”
“No that was Auntie Clarice when your mother bribed you with a raise in you r allowance.” I smiled cheekily.
“Oh yeah.” She stuck out her tongue and ruffled my hair. “Hurry and get dressed it’s 8:00. You seriously overslept.” Then she was gone, the door closing quietly behind her.
I slumped back onto the bed, sighing heavily. For some reason I knew it was not going to be a good day.

(More to come ppl just had to have this on the internet becaus ethe document might get deleted)
© Copyright 2006 Melissa-Ann Gustave (magustave at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1132853-Maybelline-Mystery-Chapter1