*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1133610-Someday-in-the-Future
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Prose · Other · #1133610
I wrote this a month and 11 days before she died.
Someday in the Future....


“Thank you, this seat is fine.”

“Yes, the weather is nice this afternoon, all grey and cold like that, definitely puts you in a wintry frame of mind.”

“No thanks, I think I’ll start with a cup of tea, Earl Grey if you have it.”

“No, no thanks, just tea while I read the menu please.”

“Thank you, no cream I’m not much on milk products, thanks. Yes, I’m ready to order, I think I’ll start with a bowl of soup, the vegetable beef please, and then I’ll have the Turkey Club sandwich. French fries please no salt on them if you would. And another cup of tea until the food comes, than a glass of ice water, thank you.

“For dessert? Oh – I’ll have the cherry pie please, my mother always made cherry pie, and it’s my favorite. Did you know, you are one of the last restaurants to serve regular pie? I know all the other places say they have pie, but then when you ask for it, its some Key Lime snicker doodle and fudge chip pie. I get tired of the whole mass produced fern bar food, you know? I remember once, when I had pie almost every dinner, It seems like just a few years ago, I would have apple pie, pumpkin pie, and sometimes a nice hot berry pie, right after dinner with my coffee. Oh? I understand, you have other customers I know - go on…and thanks.”

“Ah, thanks for bringing it so quickly, I much prefer my soup hot.”

“No I don’t need anything else I can think of, check back in a little while, I may need something, thanks.”

“Sure, you can take the plates, I’m through…hmmm…. I suppose I am just going to drive back to my apartment, read a bit, maybe turn in early. No, nobody’s close by, my wife passed years ago, and there hasn’t been another, and my son, well, he and his wife went to the Islands, yes, it is nice to go there to get out of the cold…my daughter and her husband are taking my grandson to meet his parents … look here’s a picture of the three of them – yes, he’s a fine baby…they make a nice family…well, thank you, the pie was good, I left a little extra on the tip for you –"

"yes, Merry Christmas to you too…good bye”
© Copyright 2006 metatetron (metatetron at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1133610-Someday-in-the-Future