*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1137445-Obsession-on-a-Russian-Train
Rated: 18+ · Short Story · Travel · #1137445
A stranger in a cold paridise, finds the most captivating women of his dreams
Obsession on a Russian Train



Chapter 1 Arriving

It was my first winter trip to Northern Russia. My friends all thought I was crazy knowing how cold it would be, however like usual my search for new adventures sent me on a one way course to the great white North. I arrived in Kaliningrad by air, it was late in the afternoon and the sun was already sinking into the snow capped hills to the South. It was such a beautiful scene leaving the airport. It wasn’t just the cold air that took my breath away. Eight degrees centigrade is cold enough to take your breath away.

It was three weeks from Christmas and the streets were lit with millions of white Christmas lights shining from the trees. They were evenly spaced down both sides of the main street to the city. The cab driver didn’t speak much. I could tell he was not comfortable having an American in his cab. He was polite and seemed to understand which hotel I was staying at. He dropped me off in front of a dark but elegant old hotel in the center of town where I would spend the night. I was a little too excited to sleep so I went to the restaurant for a meal and a drink or two.

I had been to other parts of Russia and decided drinking vodka with Russians was a loosing game. I was sitting in a cozy little table in a dim lit corner looking over the menu not understanding anything. The waitress walked up with a notepad in her hand. I finally gave trying to figure out what anything was. I shrugged my shoulders and just pointed at something and hoped for the best. The waitress smiled sweetly and shook her head slightly as she headed for the kitchen. I am sure she was thinking poor Americans they only learn to talk to themselves.

Unlike some places I have been where they try to feed the ignorant Americans stuff they wouldn’t eat themselves. Russians have always tried to impress with the quality of their food and service.

I sat sipping a glass of thick red wine and enjoying the atmosphere. There were a lot of people milling around outside the restaurant dressed in heavy coats of beautiful fur. Inside couples were chatting across the candle lit tables, holding hands and laughing. This was one place eavesdropping on conversation did me no good at all. I didn’t understand a word that was being said and could only guess at what was being discussed. I was feeling a little sorry for myself and started to wonder why I had made this journey on my own. I am sure I could have talked someone into joining me but for some reason I decided to make this trip alone.

The food was delivered and it was elegantly displayed. The only thing I recognized was some boiled potatoes with thick dark gravy. I laughed to myself thinking I was lucky these were not turned into vodka remembering the three day hangover in Kazakhstan. It smelled great and my stomach let out a soft growl letting me know it was ready to try anything. The meal was delicious, I could recognize some of it but there were things on my plate I had no idea what they were. The first thing was a steaming bowl of some dark purple soup. It tasted good but had some very strange aftertaste. I suspect it was Borscht or something like that.

After dinner I stepped into the lounge and had a glass of a wonderful after dinner drink I didn’t recognize. It was a warm dark liqueur in a beautiful ornate bottle. It was interesting looking at all the different bottles behind the bar. It made you want to taste each and every one of them. Fortunately I recalled that’s how the trouble started in Kazakhstan. After finishing my drink I returned to my room for sleep. Which came very slow as I was so excited to start my adventure. Like dinner wasn’t adventure enough.

The plans were to get on a train in the morning. I had a first class cabin reserved for a trip through Kiev, St. Petersburg and then on to Moscow. I was so well organized that I already had tickets to the famous Bolshoi ballet in Moscow. I laid out all the maps and brochures on the bed making last minute plans and notes on things to see. It was to be a two week trip and I wanted to experience as much of Russia as I could. I had no idea what a taste of Russia was ahead.

I slept restlessly that night, it could have been the time change but I suspect it was just the excitement of being somewhere so, excuse the word, “Foreign” to me. I was up long before the sun gathering and repacking all my stuff, making sure I had easy access to my tickets, Passport and the book I brought along to pass the time.

The cab ride to the train station was short and fast. The driver made me think I was back in New York. He was dark skinned and drove like a maniac. I was really OK with this as I had enough clothes and coats layered on I felt I could live through any accident with all the extra padding. My gloves were so thick I had a hard time opening the cab door.

The train station was beautiful. I purchased a pamphlet on the history of the station from a small news stand in the center of the terminal. It was written in English and had many old black and white pictures. It seems that the station was destroyed twice during different times, war had taken many casualties in Kaliningrad and one was this beautiful train station. This is the third version that stood on the same site, being completely destroyed in both World War I and II. There were huge marble columns and a glass and metal dome that let the morning sun filter in through the colored glass creating a colorful collage on the interior. I had an hour or so before the train left so I stopped in a coffee shop for some warm pastry and coffee. I love the coffee here; it is strong and black and meant to be enjoyed over a span of time.

It was getting close to time to board the train so I walked towards the information area. There was a small sign that read “Snow train” “we speak English.” I went to the counter and the best I could figure out was that the person that spoke English wasn’t in today. I was already cussing myself for not keeping up with my Russian lessons.

It took me a while to figure out where I should go. I did finally partially understand the people behind the counter. They were very courteous and patient with me, however the people behind me in line were impatient and gruff. They called for a cute little porter in a bright red uniform with gold braiding to help me find my place on the train. She tried top take my bags and I wouldn’t have it. I was amazed actually at how many beautiful women were in this part of the world. The girl that was guiding my way to the car could be a super model in the US and here she worked for the train company as a porter, probably for minimum wage.

We climbed aboard what looked like a train from the 20’s. A large red star was placed between the headlights. The cars were made of ornate steel and wood stained dark from age and cigarettes. The windows were small and crusted with ice and snow.

As we walked down the isle I couldn’t help notice the opulence of the interior. We went through a dining car that was set with beautiful china, silver and crystal glassware. Soft candles glowed on every table. This was my first train journey other than an old steam train I rode when a Cub Scout when I was 8 years old. I was surprised at the quality of everything. I followed her through the cars until we came to a door on the left that had something written on it I couldn’t read. She smiled at me said something and pointed to the lock, I finally understood this was my compartment. Sliding the key into the lock and a little twist and the door opened inward showing me my home for the next few weeks. It was very elegantly appointed. A double sized bed and beautiful dark leather furniture. The table and chairs were decorated with wrought iron. The door to my bath was stainless steel and shined like it was just installed. The Porter excused herself and left me in the room by myself. After following her this far I was wishing she might stay.

I couldn’t help myself in my excitement I tossed off my coat and hopped up and down a little like a 2 year old. I am taking a train across Russia I said out loud to no one in particular. What an adventure for a guy from a small town in Oregon.

It took me about a half an hour to get my bags unpacked and everything put away in the cabin. I had discovered they really knew how to take care of you in first class there was a complete little mini bar and a wine rack filled with red and white wine. I found candles in the cupboard along with every kind of snack you could imagine. The bed was soft and covered with a large white down comforter and pillows that you could lose yourself in. It was so beautiful with the indirect lighting. I sat on the couch trying to take it all in.

I heated water in a small teapot and sat down at the table by the window. I was enjoying the view at the station. People were scurrying around all dressed up in furs, it was a beautiful sight. I saw couples embracing as one or the other of them stepped on the train waving goodbye. I wish I had someone to miss me, I thought to myself.

The train shuddered once then started its slow movement out of the station. A thrill went through me just at the thought of what I was doing. I am taking a snow train through Russia. My parents would have never thought it was possible in their lifetime and I still felt like I wasn’t really here. I sipped the tea, gazing out the window, trying to quell my excitement. That was a bigger chore than the tea was up for.


Chapter 2 The Encounter

After enjoying the tea, I put my feet up on the table and took out the book I was reading titled “How to improve your love life in two weeks.” Perfect timing I was thinking. I read and watched the beautiful snow covered countryside pass by like a panoramic movie of Dr. Zhivago. I was thinking that the one thing I needed to improve my love life was a woman with one trait. I have been in and out of many relationships and too many marriages to talk about but the one trait I was looking for was someone that would put up with me. J I am not difficult to live with, and I am not abusive in any way. I think the hardest part of putting up with me is not having me around. Travel has been my passion all my life. Since I was a kid I would hitchhike up and down the West Coast. My first car I put over 25 thousand miles on it in less than 6 months. No surprise my job as an adult had me flying to all parts of the world. I think my lifetime partners were more tired of not putting up with me, than putting up with me.

I was still thinking of that cute porter, her eyes were the darkest blue and she had a body that would stop a clock as my Dad would say. She seemed to be so nice, but how could I really tell she was speaking Russian. She could have been telling me to piss off for all I knew. With a smile like that I didn’t think so. Oh well who knows who I might meet on this trip? I wanted to take a walk and explore the train, so I pulled on a light sweater and stepped into the passageway. I turned the opposite direction we had come in and started walking down the narrow hallway. The rocking of the train and the sound made me feel like I was in an old spy movie. Where were Boris and Natasha hiding? If I see a squirrel and a moose, “I am otta here.” I wonder can I find any intrigue. I laughed to myself as I turned the corner and almost stumbled over a little girl maybe 6 years old that came running by, chassed I assume by her mother. I smiled and nodded and she smiled back with a radiant smile. Were all the Russian women this beautiful? My early memories of Russian women were the Olympic athletes and they looked more like men than women. I guess in those days people could not be tested for doping.

I walked through a couple more cars and found the lounge car. This was not so much of an accident because I started following the little signs that had pictures of a martini glass on them. A Martini was the last thing on my mind still weary of the vodka here.

The quaint little bar was made of dark wood and brass and gave you the feeling of being in an elegant old English pub. It was one of the only places on the train that smoking was allowed so it carried the scent of tobacco and alcohol. You could actually hear the bottles clank together and the glasses sing out their high crystal pitch as the train rocked down the tracks. I sat at a table by the window looking out over farms and small villages. The view was incredible. Here I was in a warm train car being rocked like a baby. I ordered a glass of wine and sipped it slow just absorbing everything about me. So far the trip had a magical feeling about it. I am not sure if it was the lack of sleep or the wine but it all put me in a very mellow mood. I was waiting for anything to happen. I have spent my life being an observer of the world and at this time I just felt comfortable being in it.

There were only a few people in the car. Two older men seemed to be discussing business or politics, who knew? But there voices would raise and change pitch. There was a young couple that was sitting so close together I figured they must be on their honeymoon. A table across the isle was surrounded by a small family. The young man dark and handsome slight of build with steel gray eyes, he had stern look about him. The woman next to him I assumed was his wife, she was breathtaking. Her face was round and beautiful with an angular jaw and those kiss me lips surrounding a smile that seemed to never fade. She had the darkest eyes I had ever seen, somewhere a man could loose his soul I would think. She was laughing and giggling like a school girl. I think at the expense of her husband as he didn’t look that happy. She was not very tall but her head was covered with the wildest long hair I had ever seen. Sitting next to her was a young girl maybe 11 years old that was chattering non stop while punching buttons on her cell phone. I can’t seem to get away from technology.

Here I was enjoying the time of my life alone. I missed the warmth that seemed to exude from this small family. I wasn’t lonely really, I had done so much traveling by myself that I was used to seeing things from a bit of a romantic point of view. I was always seeing so many things I wanted to share with someone. I just didn’t have that someone to share with.

For an instant the young wife, looked at me making eye contact. I froze like a deer in the headlights. She seemed to be seeing right through me, seemed to know my hearts thoughts and desires. We looked at one another for a moment then she looked away. When she did I felt something had been taken away from me, something I needed very much. I finished my wine and wandered back to my berth for a short nap. As I passed the young family I looked down and she looked up and smiled a smile I will never forget. What a beautiful embracing smile.

The nap was great and I woke up refreshed. I took a shower and cleaned up put on a fresh shirt and tie. I felt I was looking pretty good and felt confident by the time I left my room to go to the dining car. I could smell the food when I stepped into the hall and I was getting hungry. I don’t know why I was as hungry as I was? I had done nothing all day to work up an appetite. The sun had already set, as I entered the dining car I was surprised at how beautiful it was, lit by small lanterns and candles everywhere. It created such a romantic mood; I had a moment of remorse about being by myself. There was music coming from a piano and a violin that was being played at the far end of the car by two people who I assumed was of Gypsy decent. Dark skinned, flashing almost black eyes. The man that played the piano was older, his thick white eyebrows, deep set dark eyes, long jaw and small white beard gave his face a perpetually mournful cast. He looked like a cross between an older Humphrey Bogart and Leo Tolstoy. The girl was tall slim and wore a tight fitting black dress with black lace that dripped to her feet. The top was low cut exposing paper white flesh. Her aquiline features were rigid and tense. She was beautiful but in a very gothic way. When I walked in they were playing Tchaikovsky. It was light and flowery and always made me think of a merry go round.

I was approached by a waiter and he spoke several words in Russian to which I understood none of. I said in slow broken English. I am sorry sir, I do not speak Russian. He smiled shrugging his shoulders and left for a moment returning with an older woman who said, “Can I help you sir”? I smiled back and said. Table for one please and she talked very fast Russian to the man who eventually seated me at a table near where the music was being played. They brought me a menu written in English and as I read it they brought a bottle of red wine pouring me a glass, leaving the bottle on the table. I seemed to be locked in a time before mine. Elegance and courtesy, the service was perfect. I thought of what it must have been like to travel as a wealthy American in the 20’s, or even earlier before the turn of the last century.

Before I ordered my meal, the young family I had observed earlier that day came in and was seated at the table right in front of me. As they were seated the woman motioned to her husband that she wanted to sit in a specific chair that faced me. As she sat down she looked at me and gave me a radiant smile, one that would melt any mans heart. I blushed red, I am sure she could see my face changing color. I blushed because of the thoughts I was having about this woman before taking my nap. If I thought she was pretty sitting down at lunch she was beautiful at dinner. She had a body that I would describe as perfect. She had the typical Eastern European figure, skinny waist, round full hips and huge breasts. She moved lithe and strong like a large cat. If I could draw the perfect woman’s shape she would be the model. She was just over 5 foot and beautiful. I never have changed my thinking to believe that rail thin super models are sexy. Rachel Welch, Marylyn Monroe now that’s sexy. I have always like round and feminine form.

I tried to concentrate on the menu all the while trying to catch another glimpse of this beautiful woman without her seeing me. She noticed me twice looking straight at her and she responded with that beautiful smile. She didn’t seem to worry about her husband seeing her looking at me. I was confused and disoriented. She was so beautiful. She slowly crossed and uncrossed her legs and I was sure I had soup dribbling down my chin.

Those legs were enough to stop my heart. I was getting so aroused by looking at her I had to readjust, yeah my napkin.

Dinner was served and I did my best not to stare or even look in that direction again. The last thing I wanted to do is offend someone or get my ass kicked by a jealous husband. When the older lady came over and asked if I would like any desert and coffee in English, I saw the young woman perk up and look at me. I said yes of course I didn’t want to leave the spot where I could see this beautiful woman. I felt like I had my desert just looking at her.

The woman’s daughter was still punching numbers on her cell phone, I guess doing text messages and she was talking with her husband when, he stood up leaving her and her daughter alone. I assumed he went to the bathroom. While he was gone she turned and looked at me full on making eye contact. Smiling at me with a little mischievous grin, she winked and went back to her dinner. Her husband returned and I excused myself standing realizing this small interchange with this woman had aroused something in me I needed to hide. I nodded at her and went back to my room. That woman aroused something in me that I seemed to not be able to control. As I lay on my bed that night I thought of how stupid I was. In a country full of beautiful woman all I could think of was this one. Why do I always fall for women that I can’t have. She was married; she has a daughter what would I do but cause complications. I was bewitched. She was mysterious and exotic looking she had a smile that would captivate you, and I am sure you could get totally lost in those dark chocolate eyes. I lay in my bed that night thinking of her and wanting to know anything and everything about her. What was her name? Where was she from? I was so aroused I had a problem going to sleep but finally the gentle rocking of the train as I cuddled my pillow under the warm comforter allowed me to drift off. I did dream of her.

The next day raced by, I had slept in a bit and when I woke the sky was filled with thick dark clouds. A heavy snow was falling restricting visibility out the window. I made several trips to the bar and dinner car to see if she happened to be there to no avail. I didn’t see her that day at all. I felt as gray inside as the weather was outside. I am sure there were a hundred beautiful women on this trip, some single, but I was captivated. What was her name, where was she going? Did she speak English? Could I hope that she was the little girl’s nanny?

The next day I passed the time reading this silly book wondering what the author would say if he were in my predicament. I went for several walks, all the time looking for her. I passed the lounge and decided to keep walking in that direction. I discovered there was a gaming car near the front of the train, a place to play cards and listen to music. There was a very small dance floor and modern rock type music playing from a small juke box. I went to the juke box and looked through the music list and was surprised to see so many tracks and artists I recognized. I drank a few glasses of wine and sat in the lounge in a red leather overstuffed chair reading my book and thinking of her. Why did she captivate me so? There was a lot of other attractive woman on the train and a few that actually came up to me, saying something? I kicked myself again for not taking those Russian lessons more seriously. Everyone seemed so warm and friendly not at all like the stereotypes that I remember. I was engrossed in my book when the door opened and in she walked, all by herself.

She walked straight up to me and in perfect English said. Hello, my name is Vika. I am sure she must have heard me suck in breath. I just looked at her too dumbfounded to speak. My words stumbled when I tried to speak, hello; my name is…R…R….Ron…. Ron. She smiled at me radiantly and said “well R..R..R Ron I have been noticing you looking at me. I am sure I turned 6 shades of red as I said, I am sorry, the words just stumbled out. I ,, I ,, I am sorry if I have intruded on you and your family I find you so very beautiful that I can’t seem to keep my eyes off you. I really am sorry if I have been rude. This time it was her turn to blush. She said no problem I think it is nice of you to say so.

I said, “How do you know English?” She laughed; it made me feel comfortable as she sat in a chair across from me explaining that she worked for a US based company that did something with oil and gas. She explained she had lived in England and spent a lot of time in the US. Then she said, “Can I buy you a glass of wine” I looked at her worried and distrusting at first and said, “What about your family”? Her voice was like a soothing lotion on dry skin. She explained that they were at the far end of the train watching some action movie that she didn’t want to see. We sat by the window sharing a little of our lives. I could feel my heart beating hard in my chest. This woman was bewitching. I felt like I had just become addicted to the strongest drug in the world. “Could it be Love”? It must be the wine.

She was so good at explaining everything to me. I noticed she used her hands to accentuate every word. Do I believe in love at first sight? No, but I didn’t have a good explanation why I was feeling the way I did. She told me that she was also on her way to Moscow, where she lived with her boyfriend and daughter. “Oh”, I said. I thought he was your husband. “No” she said, we have been together for a few years but have not decided to marry yet. I felt a little glimmer of hope in her words. It was so easy to talk with her other than the distraction of her looks. She was truly beautiful. We sipped our wine, she was so easy to talk to I wanted to share everything. I didn’t want this moment to stop.

She asked me my cabin number and I laughed saying I don’t know but it has a sign on the door that looks like this. I scribbled a close representation of the sign on a cocktail napkin. She laughed. I think this is suite 6B.

She excused herself telling me she had to meet with her “guys” in ten minutes. As she walked away I just stared after her, watching her walk with the sway and swish of a cat. She was sexy, oh so very sensual. It seamed to pour out of her everywhere.

The next morning we arrived in Kiev. I dressed as warm as I could and stepped out into the mountain air. Damn it was so cold my breath seemed to freeze in front of me. My lungs hurt to inhale. The city was nothing like I expected. I was thinking of the old and colored spirals of St. Barits in Moscow that I had seen pictures of. It was a modern city of steel and glass. I had read somewhere this was the birthplace of Russia. Two Viking princes founded a small village here almost a thousand years ago. I like a silly tourist got on a tour buss that drove around the city for a couple hours dropping us off in the city center for lunch. I ate in a small café, with curved glass windows that looked out onto the city square. I took the bus back to the train late in the afternoon for a late departure. It was a beautiful city and I found the architecture amazing but all I could think of was where she is? What was she doing? I had my answer when we stepped off the bus at the train station. She was there with a large group of people and her family. She noticed me at once and gave me a wink of conspiracy and went back to talking to her friends.

I boarded the train walking rapidly to my berth, I was freezing. I stripped all the heavy clothes off tossing them in a pile on my bed before jumping in the shower. The hot steamy water melted the chill I had gathered in spending the day trudging around in the snow. Before I got out the train lurched and bumped taking off to the next destination. The hot water felt so good I closed my eyes and leaned against the shower wall, thinking of her. I shampooed my hair and started scrubbing my whole body with sweet smelling bath gel. When I got out I dried off and lay naked on my bed reading, I had drifted off when all the sudden I was awakened by a sharp rap on my door. Grabbing a towel I went to the door expecting the porter. Holding the towel with one hand and opening the door with the other I was so surprised to see her there I almost dropped my towel. She looked at me with a quizzical look on her face looking me up and down she said, “Well, are you going to invite a lady in.” I was stunned but then stepped back as she entered and walked to the table to sit. I excused myself to the bathroom to dress. I was so amazed that she was there I ended up putting my socks on inside out. When I returned she had two glasses of ruby red wine poured and she was smoking a cigarette. Her legs were crossed and the smile on her face looked of pure mischief. She looked at me and said. Sometimes I just need to speak a little English to stay in practice. I sat across from her still feeling I was on some old movie set. I was waiting for the KGB to hit the door at any moment. She looked at the book lying on the bed and said. Are you still learning? I blushed red for a moment and said, I guess so. I looked at her across the table, she was wearing a dark lavender sweater that I have to say she filled out perfect and a short black skirt and some very sexy boots with high heels and pointed toes. I asked directly, are you a spy or something? She laughed and asked me if I had any secrets to disclose. It was hard to tell if she was joking or not. She said, “I think you have watched too many old movies, and I expect from an American viewpoint.

We drank the wine and chatted about nothing for a long time. She had worked in Houston Texas and we knew some of the same restaurants and clubs. I told her I am sure I never saw her there or I would remember. We were just finishing the bottle of wine when all at once she stood up and said, “I better be going”. “Do you have to?” I blurted out surprised at my immediate response. I felt my heart do a leap in my chest I didn’t want her to leave. Not now, not ever. I wanted to reach out and wrap my arms around her so tight she could never go. She smiled and said yes. Before she stepped out the door she reached up and gave me a small kiss on the cheek. I felt like a schoolboy. I am never going to wash that cheek again. I once again danced around the room like an idiot touching the place on my face where her lips had left her mark. I went to the mirror to see if any lipstick was still showing. The smell of her perfume was intoxicating. It lingered in the room long after she had left. I sat in the chair staring out the window. I felt I had suffered some great loss. There was emptiness in me I couldn’t explain. My heart ached to see her again. I kissed the glass she was using imagining what it would be like to kiss her lips.

Then reality set in. What am I doing, who am I kidding. Why would she want to be with me? She had a nice looking boyfriend and a pretty daughter, a family. I was an American as far out of my zip code as I can get. An American I might say that seemed totally lost in her eyes. Was she a spy? What could she see in me? I don’t have any information that any one would want do I? I thought back over my military career and the times I have worked in secure environments since. Nothing came to mind

I was thinking, I should never see her again, I didn’t want to be a problem for her, and I didn’t want to make her life complicated. Then the strongest thought hit me. “Fuck all that” I needed her. In so many ways I needed her. The simple thought of her smile, the sound of her voice, the look in her eyes. I was lost, over the top, completely captivated. I was under her spell. I knew she had me, if she wanted me. Damn I hope she wanted me. My thoughts were totally consumed by her. I went to the bar and ordered a half bottle of Vodka. It didn’t help.

Two more days passed and I had not seen her anywhere. This was very odd, as I spent most of my time wandering the hallways trying to bump into her. I would go from car to car hoping she would be there but there was no sign of her. Nowhere! I did see her daughter in the game room once having a coke and punching buttons that damnable cell phone. I was getting frantic, I felt like I was in the throws of withdrawal. Where was she, was she just playing with my head. Maybe I should take her at her word and believe the only interest she had in me was practicing English. But, the way she looked at me. It must just be my overactive imagination.

That night after dinner I was in the gaming car listening to the music when without notice she wrapped her arms around me from behind. I jerked, startled by her touch. When I turned around she kissed me lightly on the lips then set down across from me. Looking straight into my eyes she said. Well, are you going to buy a lady a drink? I broke out in laughter, partly nervous I am sure, but so happy to see her I felt like a puppy greeting its owner after a long absence. My lips seemed to burn with their own excitement. Damn. I thought to myself now I can’t wash my lips either. I went to the bar and picked out a good bottle of wine. She was so beautiful sitting there. While I was waiting for the wine, I kept looking over my shoulder to make sure she wasn’t just some figment of my imagination. I new better, my imagination was never this gracious. I stopped before handing her the wine to admire what a beautiful woman she is. Her long hair had been somehow straightened; she was wearing a tight black top with something I could not read written on the front in fake diamonds. She told me later it said wild thing. She was wearing a short leather skirt and those sexy boots again. As I sat across from her, she crossed her legs intentionally giving me a view of her beautiful creamy thighs. She cleared her throat, letting me know I was spending way too much time looking at her legs. I blushed again. Smiling at her I said, sorry sometimes I can’t help myself. She smiled back. Have you finished your book yet? “Almost”, I said. She asked me if it was helping and I said not yet but I am patient. She said good in her sexy voice while patting my hand.

“How are you Vika?” “I have missed you”. “Where have you been” She said she had been busy with the family and that she had tried to get away to talk some more but there just had not been an opportunity. I felt so relieved at that moment, I am sure she heard the big sigh leave me. That means she actually wanted to see me too and that she had thought about me. It made me so happy with that understanding that I grinned at her. You wanted to see me? I said kind of shocked with a tilt of my head. She said “of course silly guy”. I need to practice my English. I frowned narrowing my brows and she laughed at me.

I asked her what her plans were as we were scheduled to arrive in St. Petersburg in the morning. She told me she had family and friends there. In fact her boyfriend’s best friend from school lived there and was planning on showing them all around the city. She told me of a few things not to miss while I was in St Petersburg. I jotted the names down the best I could on a half wet napkin. She underlined one of them saying not to miss the club Greshniki.

She finished her wine and said,” Have a great time in St. Pete” I thanked her and again watched her leave with the walk of all walks. Wait I said, “Will I see you again?” she smiled and said, “One never knows. I liked watching her walk away so much I didn’t want to let her walk away ever again. I watched after her, her butt swayed and jiggled ever so slightly but it was like throwing a red curtain up in front of a mad bull. I just stared at the door as it closed losing sight of her. Looking around I noticed every man in the place was doing the same.

I felt so much better after seeing her again that I went back to my room for a cold shower just to get my heart rate down and to cool off a bit. She made me so hot. Damn she was sexy. What was there about this woman that so captivated me. I have met hundreds of woman that some people would say was as beautiful she was. Was it the idea of an American that grew up in the cold war era actually falling for a Russian? Can I explain it as Chemistry? None of those explained what I was feeling. Maybe she was just a very nice woman and beautiful too, and maybe she was really just playing with me and practicing her English. Ok I am guessing still not understanding what she sees in me.

Chapter 3 St Petersburg

The screech and jerk of the train slowing down roused me from my fitful sleep. Morning already, that means were are arriving in St. Petersburg. I got out of bed opened my blinds and looked out my window. I saw the church spires of St. Petersburg in the distance. The sky was clear with a few wisps of scattered clouds. It was beautiful morning to discover a beautiful city. I wish it was as warm as it looked. Looking down I saw the snow blowing back from the tracks by passing trains. We came to a complete stop; I looked at my watch, 7:00 AM exactly. These train schedules are amazing; I wish our plane service ran this close to schedule at home. The train was scheduled to stay in St Petersburg for 2 days to allow us plenty of time to look around this beautiful historic city.

It is a beautiful city with huge castle like palaces, painted in yellow and misty green and every other color you have ever seen. The churches were covered in brightly colored tile. It was such a contrast to the cold and gray weather of winter. They looked cheerful and welcoming unlike some of the gothic Roman Catholic churches scattered through Europe and parts of America that seem so dark and scary from the outside. I have never seen buildings so beautiful in all my life. The history of the city was long and extensive the people that lived here were great world leaders. Peter the Greats, Kathryn the great all world leaders, this is where the decisions were made to bring Russia to world prominence.

I quickly showered and got dressed for a day in the crisp winter air. After a short breakfast in the club car I headed for the streets with my camera and backpack in case there was a souvenir I needed to bring home with me. I am sure I looked like the lost American tourist when I stepped of the train. The only souvenir I really was interested in was the little Russian lady with the beautiful smile and crazy hair. She wouldn’t fit in my backpack, but she sure fit well in my thoughts.

I took a short walk from the station to the river. Looking from one of the many bridges that crossed the Neva River I could see ice crusted over the sides of the river and the banks were covered with deep snow. The water was dark and swift. I thought I should be freezing but the sun warmed me like spring skiing weather in California. I wanted to see everything in the city. There was so much to see I knew two days were not nearly enough. I took out the wrinkled napkin and tried reading some of the names. With much difficulty I found the first on the list to be the Palace of Peter the Great. It was easy to find as it was the largest structure in the city.

Not to deep in my conscious was always the desire to get another glimpse of the beautiful Vika. She had stolen my heart and my whole being hungered for her to smile at me once again. I was wondering what she was doing on this day, at this time, where was she, who was she with. Was she eating, sitting with friends, kissing her boyfriend. Why did that thought bother me so much? Not knowing what local customs were, I was scared to see her again. I didn't know what the law or local custom were but I had read Anna Karinina and I new infidelity was a treasonous affair. Affair was all I seemed to be thinking of as I walked into Peter the Greats Palace. It was beautiful outside bright yellow with white trim huge stone walls surrounded the palace and the gardens. I kept thinking about the many people that had walked these halls through the years. There was an almost religious feel to the inside of the cavernous palace. It was breathtaking and more opulent than anything I had ever seen. Russia ruled the world during these years and the treasures contained within these halls was proof of the power that Peter must have wielded in his time. Paintings lined the walls and golden goblets shined thorough the secure glass cabinets they were displayed in. The stairway was made of the purest white marble. Knowing how old this place was I was surprised at how pristine the palace was.

After several hours of exploring through the great palace, I took a short cab ride to the city center always keeping a lookout for that wild hair. I had a pleasant lunch in a small cafe overlooking the city center. I was getting more comfortable with ordering something to eat that I recognized and found some of the soups and the beef dishes were excellent. I was really starting to like the heavy red wines too.

After lunch I walked into a street market where there were a little of everything for sale. In fact one of the things I noticed was a lot of beautiful woman dressed a little too sexy for mid day. I figured since they were all carrying the same kind of "Perhaps Bag" that they were probably prostitutes. Was that legal here? Prostitutes have always been exciting to look at and think about but never in my life could I be with one, even a one night stand is completely out of my understanding. I couldn’t imagine making love to someone that I wasn’t in love with. I know there is a difference between making love, having sex and fucking but I still couldn’t do that with out first being in love. When I was at the end of one of the long street off the city center a beautiful dark haired lady approached me smiling and saying something in Russian I didn't understand but I understood completely the jest of her question. I smiled at her, I was sure my face was blushing bright red, when I said no, no thank you. She shrugged and turned and walked away.

What a colorful place. Everything was beautiful in contrast to the winter weather. I looked through a couple of small shops and found a pretty little ring I purchased to send home to my daughter. It was early afternoon when I stopped at a café, it amazed me that no matter how cold it was people still set outside to drink coffee and share time. I sat at the edge of the patio area watching people mill about. There was a small ice rink with a lot of children bundled up like snowmen, but they were skating there little hearts out. My thoughts were drifting to the beautiful Vika when I was startled by a hand pressed on my shoulder. It was her, how did she know where I was? Did she know I was thinking of her? How did she find me or was this just another one of those strange coincidence. I was stunned, speechless. People know me think that’s impossibility but its true. All I could do was staring. Here she was, beautiful, her dark eyes flashed with the mystery of a lost desire. The frigid air had put a natural blush on her cheeks along with some very noticeable bumps in her sweater her smile captivated me. She was wearing a very tight sweater covered by a Mink coat and a short leather skirt, and damn those sexy boots again.

I was sitting on a small bench and she looked at me quizzically for a moment then said. Mr. Rawlings, would you buy a girl a cup of coffee and maybe get your eyes of my boobs. I smiled and stood sliding over so she could sit beside me. I ordered her a cup of coffee and got another one for myself as well. I guess one of the many things I was beginning to love about this beautiful woman was her spontaneity. She always caught me by surprise.

In the back of my mind I was still wondering how she found me. Could I be blinded by her looks and her ways to a point I wasn’t seeing that maybe she was a spy? What could she want of me? I guess it was just my good luck. I felt very lucky to have her sitting next to me. We chatted, she asked me where I had been, what I had seen. It was fun explaining to her my view of what I saw. I am sure I must have been boring her as she new the city so well. I was explaining something to her that I had seen in Peter the Greats Palace when she reached over and grasping my hands and said. “Mr. Rawlings what would you think if I told you I wasn’t wearing any panties.” I smiled at her and said Ms. Petrova the first thing I am sure I would think of is the mysteries you have hidden under that skirt, the second I am sure I would get as hard a rock and the third is trying to find a place to discover those mysteries for myself.

I told her what I know about sex is woman need a reason, men just need a place. She laughed then reached under the table, I felt her hand slid up my leg until she felt the very uncomfortable bulge that was straining against my jeans. She squeezed me once very tightly and said “well, I thought Americans lied about everything”. She leaned over and kissed me on the cheek and said. I will see you later. Don’t miss the Club Greshniki She looked over her shoulder and giggled as I once again had the pleasure of watching her walk away, switching that cute little ass. She is driving me nuts. I would say she has no idea what she is doing to me, but I think she knew exactly what she was doing.

I didn’t see her the next day. I spent half of it aimlessly walking through the streets wondering what she was thinking. I stopped into several small pubs and coffee shops trying to soak up all that I could of this culture. Wondering if I would see her again? She seemed to have a sweet little family. Could she really be attracted to me? I didn’t see how but my heart told me something magical was happening here I had no explanation for it. The thought of her touching me under the table came back and I smiled. She is so beautiful and wonderful and sexy beyond my own fantasies. I am lost in love. What was she thinking?

My last stop before returning to the train was the Club Greshniki. It was a dance club. The music was very techno not unlike what you hear anywhere around Europe. When I walked in I was surprised at all the very beautiful people. I walked to the bar and ordered a drink. Turning around I noticed a two women holding hands under the table not only that, one was running her hand far up under an already short skirt. I felt like I was intruding so turned to look the other direction and right into the face of a young man that was smiling at me. Curious I thought and all at once I realized I was in a gay/lesbian bar. I laughed out loud knowing my beautiful Russian stranger had set me up. I finished my drink and headed out the door. I was still laughing when I got out of the cab and walked to the train. I owe her one for this I thought as I crawled into bed. What a mystery this woman was. Or maybe she’s trying to tell me something. I spent the night sleeping restlessly and having short recurring dreams. One I remember so vivid I was with her she was wearing that leather miniskirt we were alone kissing I kneeled down in front of her kissing her belly slowly lifting her skirt kissing the band of her panties I would grab it with my teeth and tug down. My eyes caught site of a large freckle only inches above where I wanted to be. At that moment I would wake up frustrated and it took a long time to go back to sleep. Then it all happened again and again. What a nightmare of frustration.


Chapter 4 The Note

The train was due to pull out of the station at 8:00 in the morning. I spent the night drinking wine and fantasizing about making love with this beautiful woman. My mind raced thinking of all the wonderful things we could do together. I had got back to the train very late and was still in bed when I felt the surge of the train leaving St Petersburg; I was a little hung over but not in too bad of shape. I lay in bed reaching up to open my window blinds, watching the morning clouds pass by. After about a half hour of trying to gather myself together I got up and wandered to the shower making coffee on the way. I was almost dressed when I noticed a piece of white paper sticking under my door. Bending to pick it up caused my vision to blur a little. Maybe I better not drink any wine today.

To my surprise and excitement the only thing written on the paper was. “7:00 PM” and a fancy scrolled V. I was so excited I didn’t know what to do. I didn’t know what it meant either but I was taking no chances. I spent the day decorating my room with flowers, and so many candles I had to turn the heat down. The day seemed like the longest of my life, I paced for a while and then I sat. I took three showers that day. Preening like an Amazon parrot. I combed my hair so many times I should have gone bald by now. I tried to nap, but could never get my thoughts to stop running wild. I sat and stared out the window. What am I thinking she probably just wants to chat and talk English? I went to the bar car and bought 3 bottles of expensive Champaign and a box of rich dark chocolate. The music was playing softly in my room when I looked at the clock. “Damn its only noon.” What am I going to do for the next 7 hours?

The waiting was so difficult I thought my heart would burst with every tick of the clock. It rang in my ears like a heartbeat with a migraine. The minutes past like days. I watched the sun set ever so slowly into the Western hills. I willed it to hurry on its path to darkness. It was 6:45 and I was so ready to see her. I tried to find the perfect spot to sit. I must have looked in the mirror a thousand times finally realizing this is the best it gets. Exactly at 7:00 there was a soft rap on the door. I had been pacing the floor so much there was an area that the carpet was matted down. I was so nervous when I heard it, that I jumped making long strides to the door I stopped for a second trying to regain my composure. Taking two deep breaths I opened the door.

Chapter 5 The Make Lovin

I turned the knob taking a deep breath when the door swung open. What I saw there took my breath away. There she was, radiant, beautiful, and oh so sexy. She put her tiny hand in the middle of my chest and pushed so hard I stumble backwards into my room. She was wearing that beautiful mink coat and the boots. She said, “I figured I wouldn’t wait to be invited in.” Then she smiled.



The secret to life is enjoying the passage of time

James Taylor













© Copyright 2006 gmcferon (gmcferon at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1137445-Obsession-on-a-Russian-Train