*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1141354-Determined
Rated: ASR · Other · Sports · #1141354
On playing mixed doubles tennis
I got pelted with the ball twice last night. Once in the neck while standing at the net. I wasn't even holding my racquet up like I should have been. Sheesh! Everyone gathered round when when my face contorted in extreme pain-like fashion.

"Where exactly did you get it?" Reeves, the ball slammer asks.

I point to the front middle of my neck. Pain has momentarily robbed me of my voice.

"You mean in the Adam's apple?" he asks, needing clarification.

My partner steps in and says, "Yeah, only SHE doesn't HAVE an Adam's apple."

I can't help but laugh. "Well, I did before the sex change operation," I say, humor helping to ease my discomfort.

We change sides of the court. Determined not to wimp out, I return the serve and fall back into the game, ignoring my throbbing neck. Then, it's my partner's turn to return the serve and I hear him say, "I'm slammin' this one right into Reeves." He makes contact with the ball as he says 'Reeves'.

What a passing shot! Just missed Reeves. I shouted across the net, "See what happens when you pelt me? Bring it on!"

We lost both sets. 2;5. At least we made them sweat the second one. It was great fun. Well, except for the pain part.
© Copyright 2006 NanoWriMo2018 Into the Earth (twinsis at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1141354-Determined