*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1142825-Chapter-1-The-Invisible-Attic
Rated: E · Chapter · Fantasy · #1142825
short rough draft of a children's fantasy novel I began to write...
Chapter 1
It was a cool evening in October. The sun was setting and the sky was tinged a dark orangish color. Ada, a beautiful yet strange, dark haired girl walked along the side street toward her house, number 1420 Netherbridge Lane. Ada was 17 years of age and had already graduated from high school.

Her home, 1420 Netherbridge Lane, was not quite your average home, for it had a history of being haunted or so legends in the town had said. It was an old Victorian style home with an arched ceiling, a beautiful balcony, and had ivy plants covering the outside of the house.

The inside of her house was fairly average yet beautiful. Ada's personal favorite of all the rooms in her home was the attic. She would go up there to escape her family members and get moments of peace in her hectic household.

You see- Ada lived with her father, 14 year old sister, 10 year old brother, and her stepmother (of whom she was not fond of). Oftentimes arguements would erupt from the lower floor of the home and Ada would go to the attic to get some peace.

This all sounds normal enough, but there was one thing that was very far from normal that will be explained as follows. The attic in which Ada came for sanctuary didn't exist. Well, it did exist, but only for Ada. No one else could see the door leading up to it, let alone get inside. Ada had mentioned it one time, by mistake, as a child. Her stepmother scowled at her evilly and told her to stop making up ridiculous stories. Then, she escorted the rest of Ada's family- her father and two siblings, to gawk at the "imaginary" door that only Ada could see.

After this incident she never once mentioned the door or the attic again, fear of ridicule. Also, she knew that it must be a special place for only her since no one else could see or enter.


© Copyright 2006 Zynthetix (zynthetix at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1142825-Chapter-1-The-Invisible-Attic