*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1145624-Overthinking-Perfection
Rated: 13+ · Other · Comedy · #1145624
Perfectionism Overdone ~ A Bit of Flash ~ You'll see ^_^
First Day on the Job


“I can do this, I have to do this, I can do this,” Sue repeated for what seemed the millionth time, applying mascara one lash at a time. She had set the alarm four hours early to allow herself enough time to prepare for her first day on the job. Her interview had been the same, rehearsing possible questions and answers in her head until she sounded perfectly poised, even to her own perfectionist ear. She was immediately hired on a conditional basis, pending her drug test results. She knew those would be fine, she had never even tried drugs, unable to decide which ones to try.

Checking one more time in the full-length mirror, she decided that her skirt could use a fresh crease. So off with the skirt again, and plug in the iron for a quick press. She re-inspected the contents of each compartment of her purse, then left the house, resolving not to look for any more fault in her appearance as she locked the door and got in her car.

Resolved to keep a positive attitude, she held her head high and straight as she parked in her new parking spot, and greeted the receptionist in the lobby, following her guiding nod to a guest chair to await the staff manager.

She stood as the staff manager approached, anticipating his welcome. Following the line of his gaze, she realized it would not be forthcoming.

“Ms. Trask, I regret to inform you that you are not the type of sales representative we are seeking. Our dress code requires full business attire at all times.”

“I understand,” Sue replied, and turned her back on her new job, head held high as she walked toward the elevators, envisioning her crispy pressed skirt lying neatly still across the ironing board.

*****

For Daily Flash Fiction Challenge - word count 300
Awarded Honorable Mention*Smile* in October 2007 "Twisted Tales Contest
© Copyright 2006 Kate - Writing & Reading (manga_kate at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1145624-Overthinking-Perfection