*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1145917-Losing-that-Youthful-Vital-Look
Rated: E · Short Story · Comedy · #1145917
Turning gray can be a sobering experience. Humor helps.
Turning Gray: Losing That Youthful, Vital Look
By Donna Lowich

A number of years ago, I was just starting to turn gray. It was not a problem for me back then since most, but not all, of the grays were on the back of my head, safely out of sight for me. However, eight-year-old Jeffrey, easily spotted them as he was clambering into the back seat of the car one day.

"Wow, Mom!” he said with all the emphasis he could muster. "Your hair is turning gray! I mean really, REALLY gray! You should look in the mirror and see HOW MANY you have!!"

Chuckling, because I was already at least vaguely aware of the color change in my hair, I turned his statement around on him. "And YOU should go to the mirror and take a look at the person who gave 'em to me!"

But in a way, that was a bit harsh, even for a joke that we both laughed at. For the truth is, that Jeff was NOT the only person responsible for my grays. He is only half of the answer.

So, when Walter got into the car a few minutes later, Jeff started looking at Walter's hair. He looked at me, somewhat puzzled. "Mom, if Dad is OLDER than you how come he doesn't have ANY gray hair AT ALL???"

"Well, honey, " I explained as delicately as I could. "Daddy doesn't GET gray hair. He just GIVES 'em!!"


© Copyright 2006 PENsive is Meemaw x 3! (donnal at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1145917-Losing-that-Youthful-Vital-Look