*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1150929-Jackies-Rock
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Contest · #1150929
Jackie gets her new kidney, but at what cost.


Jackie's Rock


Jackie waited in the hospital bed hoping the kidney they found matched. She’d been here before, and waiting was the worst part. Thoughts ran through her head about who the donor might be. Sometimes she cried thinking how someone was suffering so she could live.

“Mrs. Conner, can you hear me?” Dr. Louis checked Jackie's vitals waiting for her to open her eyes. “Good news; the kidney’s a match.”

Jackie smiled at the doctor, “The donor?”

“Jackie, you know I can’t do that.” Seeing how sad Jackie was, Dr. Louis sighed. “An accident and no brain activity upon arrival to St. Mary’s. A donor card and the legal contact listed passed away awhile ago.”

“Thank you, Dr. Louis.” Jackie let out the breath she was holding.

“Someone call for a ride?” Joe, the orderly came in smiling. “Looks like you're riding with me Jackie.”

“You're finally taking me on that trip you promised,” Jackie laughed weakly.

Joe and Dr. Louis worked quickly to get the IV and portable monitors moved over to the gurney. Once they had Jackie comfortable, Dr. Louis smiled at her. “We’ll see you soon Jackie, good luck.”

“Tell Carrie when she gets here.” Jackie closed her eyes as Joe wheeled her down the hall to surgery.

Jackie had lost her husband, and now her daughter was her rock. Hopefully this would give them more time together. They took her straight up to surgery and after prepping her, Dr. Louis told her to relax and count backwards from ten.

“10… 9… 8…” As Jackie started going under, she heard the nurses talking, “I wonder if they’re related, they have the same last name?”

“What’s the donor’s name?”

“Conner, Carrie Conner.”


Word Count 290

Written for
Daily Flash Fiction Challenge  (13+)
Enter your story of 300 words or less.
#896794 by Arakun the Twisted Raccoon

© Copyright 2006 SL Krieg (stormycats at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1150929-Jackies-Rock