*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1151687-My-road-trip-with-Daisy
Rated: ASR · Short Story · Food/Cooking · #1151687
Daisy and I hit the road.
“Daisy! Daisy look out the window! Look out the window!”

Daisy looked at me from the passenger seat. She didn't look thrilled. Actually she looked like she was about to throw up. But she always looked like that when we drove anywhere.

“Look! Look do you see it? Do you?”

She didn't respond, as usual. And I guess I didn't really expect her too. But she had to see this. I knew if I didn't stop I'd regret it later. And it had been three hours since we last ate.

All right, so I was making excuses. Again. But give me a break, it was a long drive from Boston to Dallas and, though I knew we were going the right way, I wasn't exactly sure where we were.

God knows we'd passed through enough small towns and seen enough crummy tourist attractions to last us a lifetime. But I knew Daisy, and I knew that she wouldn't mind stopping if it meant some food and a chance to stretch out her legs.

“What do you say?” I asked her as I pulled into the little parking lot.

She stared back. Eyes unblinking. Mouth hanging open in her usual expression. She was tired. I knew that. So was I for that matter. But the sign on the highway had said 'Nc t Ho le 50 m l s' For some reason the signs had fewer letters the further into cow country I got. At least this one had a number on it. The fact that the missing letter in Hotel had left the sign reading 'Hole' didn't do much for my confidence in the place but at least it hadn't been covered with graffiti.

That last sign had been about 18 miles ago. And I knew Daisy probably had to go to the bathroom pretty badly by now. Heck, I had to go to the bathroom pretty badly.

I slid the car into a parking place near the entrance, and just sat there for a minute. Taking it all in.

We were sitting in front of a giant dog. Not a hot dog. An actual dog. The building had been made too look like a very happy puppy. A beagle, if I wasn't mistaken.

In all the places we had passed through this was a first. A giant dog. A building, built to resemble a canine.

It was perfect!

I turned the engine off and got out, “Coming?” I asked.

Again, no reply. But that was normal. I sighed and went around to the passenger side. “Come on Daisy. You gotta eat, and goodness knows you need to go to the bathroom.” I said to her.

She just sat there and stared at me. So I grabbed her and 'helped' her out of the car.

“Come on, you'll love it.”

Daisy finally looked up at the building and I saw her face fill with joy.

I had never been to a cornier place. Daisy and I used our respective restrooms and then went about ordering from the window in front of the dog. I didn't mention to Daisy exactly where the window was placed anatomically speaking. I didn't think she'd enjoy it.

As I browsed the menu I couldn't believe it. It was a Fried Chicken Hut. They served only chicken all day every day.

I had to know. “Why the dog?” I asked the girl at the window.

She sighed and rolled her eyes, obviously having been asked this question too many times.

“The owner is a beagle fanatic. Everything is Beagles. The menu says fried chicken but all the item names are the names of the owners pet beagles. The freezer in back is painted to look like one. And so is every other surface in the place. Look at this uniform! Covered in little puppy paws! I even have a beagle for a hat!” she said, taking off her hat to emphasize her point.

Obviously I'd touched on a sore subject.

“Some people just really love dogs.” I said, in an attempt to calm her so I could get the heck out of there.

“Yeah, “ she said, “not me!”

And then Daisy decided that it was her turn to talk.

And boy, was she unhappy.

When she was done the girl just stared at her. Finally, after what seemed an eternity of staring she looked at me.

“Sorry.” She said. “ I didn't realize.”

She seemed to realize something and all of a sudden got all flustered.

“Look,” she said, “the owner will kill me if he hears what I said about dogs. Your meal is on the house and I am so sorry! Please, don't take it personal, it's just. This place drives you crazy. In the break room all that plays all day long is different beagle barks. I really think it just got to me and I'm so sorry I took it out on you. Look, heres your order, all set nice and fresh and some extra fries for your friend. Just please don't tell on me okay?”

I could tell she was sincerely scared of her boss. I couldn't blame her, I hadn't met the man but anyone who played beagle barks in his break room must be a bit loony.

“Don't worry.” I told her. “I won't tell a soul. And you can trust Daisy.”

She thanked us and handed us our order, which we promptly scarfed down. Daisy wasn't a very clean eater and I had learned that on the road, in strange places, you ate fast. Even if you weren't traveling alone.

I asked Daisy if she needed to go again before we got back in the car. She just stared at me, silent once again. So I shrugged and we got back into the car to continue on our way.

It was about five minutes into our drive when I realized that fried chicken and Daisy didn't mix well.

“You feeling okay?” I asked.

I was answered with a resounding fart that filled the car with a noxious smelling gas.

“Good God Daisy!” I screamed!

Thank goodness for automatic windows. I think if I had attempted to reach through the fog to open her window I would have suffocated.

Daisy promptly stuck her head out the window, ignoring my strangled attempts at breathing.

When I had finally recovered enough to speak I asked Daisy if she was happy with herself.

She looked at me with those big brown eyes and smiled the biggest smile I had ever seen. And then she turned and stuck her head back out the window. Loving the feel of the wind on her face.

Daisy was my best friend, but she had a wicked sense of humor. She let go another loud fart and then brought her head back inside to look at me.

I was trying hard not to inhale but when she looked at me I couldn't help laugh. Her smile was back. I loved her. And she loved me. And though we tormented each other I knew that would never change.

“Happy?” I asked her again.

And this time she did answer me.

She barked once, with her deep Great Dane bark and gave me one of her full face licks.

There is no greater bond in the world than a girl and her dog.

And when Daisy barks, people listen.

I mean, if you had a 100 pound Great Dane barking and growling at you, wouldn't you give away free chicken?


© Copyright 2006 Samantha (skysongwmass at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1151687-My-road-trip-with-Daisy