*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1152423-Blood-Drive
Rated: 13+ · Preface · Romance/Love · #1152423
Love. Life. Immortality.
Prologue.

The engine of my small car whined from being stalled for so long. The black vehicle vibrated from underneath me, while I gripped the steering wheel harder. My head rested against my hands, my eyes squeezed shut as I attempted to sort my thoughts out, piece by piece. Of course, it was no use. The month’s events were racing through my brain, competing on which would get the most attention. I looked up into the night; the traffic light was red- holding me in my place. That was the story of my life.
I pressed my foot to the pedal of my car, revving the engine, listening to the whine escape from the engine again. The light turned green, beckoning my forward, I squealed the tires. The adrenaline was pulsing through my whole body, I had never gone over one hundred miles an hour before, and I was breaking my own rules. The road I was one was curvy, I don’t believe there was a straight-away on this road. I felt the car pull as I turned each sharp curve.

“Laney… calm down.” I heard his smooth voice in my head.

“STAY OUT OF MY HEAD!” I screamed to the empty space.

I tasted salt in my mouth; it took a moment to realize I tasted tears. My face was hot and my throat tight, I let out a shuttered breath, trying to calm myself. It didn’t work. I pressed my foot to the pedal, the engine whining in protest, as I continued on the murderous back road. I slammed the breaks on, causing my car to spin uncontrollably as I shut my eyes- awaiting the crash.
My car suddenly halted mid-spin. I peaked open an eye to see what I hit, if the collision was so fierce I had died on impact without feeling a thing… but I was wrong. My throat intensified on it’s tightness as I gasped.
He was holding my car still with a hand. The look on his face was angry, yet very sad. It was almost if I was seeing my own guardian angel, saving my life. But he was not my angel…he was my curse. He was the reason I was in the hell hole I was. He walked towards my door, opening it carefully. He bent down to become eye level with me. He pressed a cold finger to my hot cheek, tracing the tracks left by my tears.
I squeezed my eyes, only causing more tears to drain. He sighed heavily as he undid my seatbelt and turned me to face him. He acted as if I was a child, as if I had no choice but to do what he willed… and he was so right. I took a weak fist and him in the chest. It was like hitting a wall. I heard myself groan, and my face was becoming very wet again. I could smell the streaming tears now.
He grabbed my fist and held it to his chest, delicately, being careful not to hurt me. He looked thoughtful, while he edged forward and kissed a falling tear. I couldn’t stop my mouth from gaping open and the gasping noise that escaped it.

“What are you doing Laney, trying to kill yourself?” He searched my eyes pleadingly. I laughed a sardonic laugh.

“That would be the idea.” I saw the pain etching out across his face, and I immediately wished to take back what I had said.

“Are you trying to kill me too?” He whispered through almost closed lips. I sighed heavily.

“Now how would I pull that off? Being that you’re immortal and everything…” He didn’t flinch.

“You underestimate your control over me, Laney.”

“William…” I breathed. He put a finger to my mouth.

“Is it really that bad? To cause you to be so reckless? Laney I know you! Why are you being so childish?” The sadness had vanished and was replaced by anger. And it terrified me.

“Because I can’t have what I want.” I finally said.

“I’m no good for you! You don’t want me! Paul is the epitome of perfection for you, he’s the dream come true… I’m just the nightmare.” He wouldn’t meet my eyes anymore. I felt my heart breaking for him.

“How can you think you’re so right… when you’re so, so wrong?” I lifted his perfect voice towards mine with a shaking finger.

“How did we get here?” He sobbed a tearless sob. His face etched into masterpiece perfection.

And at that moment I wondered the same thing. How come I didn’t find him sooner? What path had I taken to lead me to this deserted road with a dammed immortal? Then I remembered…

The Blood Drive.
© Copyright 2006 M. Song (nightsong at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1152423-Blood-Drive